#1 Edited by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

Hey, Bombadiers,

This week's Bombcast sparked a conversation about the phenomenon known as "growing the beard" (in reference to Patrick literally growing a beard.) I'm curious; do you guys think the Bombcast had its own general "growing the beard" moment? If so, what was the cause?

If I had to pinpoint the earliest spot that makes sense, it would be the February-through-June '09 run that is practically 100% killer shows. It opens with the circuit-bent toy and maybe loses a little steam between E3 and CAX, but the show seems to have become the show we know and love from then forward. But I'm only a little farther than that in my first-ever Bombcast back-catalog run. Maybe it's the first episode where they actually used DSi Shop music when talking Nintendownloads? Maybe it's the first time we transition to Brad saying "Emails?" Curious to find out if anyone feels the Bombcast grew instantaneously rather than naturally.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

When people started spamming YouTube with animated clips of the Bombcast? Whenever that was?

#3 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12105 posts) -

Yeah, I'd say early 2009 isn't a bad guesstimate. It's definitely when they started loosening up and the podcast lengths slowly started to creep towards 3 hours. That, or when they started doing Nintendownloads.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (15133 posts) -

God I miss Nintendownloads it was such a stupid stupid segment that brought me so much joy.

#5 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Man, Nintendownloads were the best segment ever. Jeff was really firing on all cylinders.

#6 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

It was when Jeff got fired from Gamespot.

#7 Posted by Butler (392 posts) -

I'm going to put this out there. Can we go with the term "The Beardening?" I much prefer to think in terms of beard growing with Highlander. Because that is what happens when you grow one.

#8 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

From 05 to 07. You know, the really good "bombcast".

In a bit more seriousness, I feel like the bombcast is very solid throughout the years. There's no period of time where I can say it's clearly better or worse. There are definitely episodes that are better but not because they are in a certain time period, only because that's how they went (aka the one where they "lost" the first recording and went and do another one accompanied by beers).

#9 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

How does a podcast, which is an audio recording, grow facial hair?

#10 Edited by Benny (1955 posts) -
@winternet said:

From 05 to 07. You know, the really good "bombcast".

In a bit more seriousness, I feel like the bombcast is very solid throughout the years. There's no period of time where I can say it's clearly better or worse. There are definitely episodes that are better but not because they are in a certain time period, only because that's how they went (aka the one where they "lost" the first recording and went and do another one accompanied by beers).

I agree that because it's the spiritual successor to the hotspot you really need to look back at when the hotspot 'grew the beard.' Unfortunately the hotspot isn't on iTunes anymore :( There is a compilation of the best bits at http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2011/01/1-hotspot-2005.html though, which you should totally listen to if you have ever enjoyed a giant bombcast.

#11 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -
#12 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1931 posts) -

@benny said:
@winternet said:

From 05 to 07. You know, the really good "bombcast".

In a bit more seriousness, I feel like the bombcast is very solid throughout the years. There's no period of time where I can say it's clearly better or worse. There are definitely episodes that are better but not because they are in a certain time period, only because that's how they went (aka the one where they "lost" the first recording and went and do another one accompanied by beers).

I agree that because it's the spiritual successor to the hotspot you really need to look back at when the hotspot 'grew the beard.' Unfortunately the hotspot isn't on iTunes anymore :( There is a compilation of the best bits at http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2011/01/1-hotspot-2005.html though, which you should totally listen to if you have ever enjoyed a giant bombcast.

This is one of my favorite "Giant Bomb" moments, even it is was before Giant Bomb even existed.

#13 Edited by Alexander (1724 posts) -

I seem to remember Brian Ekberg being the beard master.

#14 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3532 posts) -

Jeff grew the beard while still in the womb.

#15 Posted by JCHenderson (128 posts) -

Bombcast came kicking and screaming into this world with a big arse scratchy beard. It's always been there!

#16 Posted by C2C (859 posts) -

In my opinion, Early 2009 was when GB grew a beard. You got Vinny hatin' on Flower, The whole GI Joe discussion, and the Red Alert sirens blarin' off at around that time.

#17 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3923 posts) -

When this happened

#18 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

bombcast was born with a full, lustrous beard

#19 Edited by AuthenticM (3802 posts) -

TGS '08.

#20 Posted by bemusedchunk (734 posts) -

@oraknabo said:

It was when Jeff got fired from Gamespot.

Give this man a prize.

#21 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

When Vinny joined up. Up until then it was just Jeff and Ryan drinking energy drinks.

#22 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Pre-bearded from day one

#23 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

when ryan grew one

This is probably the fourth time Ive posted the image on this site

#24 Edited by Hunter5024 (5961 posts) -

The Bombcast is the Hotspot with a beard.

#25 Edited by super2j (1787 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: Mine will always be the playstation guy who called in. that and the whole gizmondo thing. It really sucks I missed out on all that.

#26 Posted by Mezmero (2058 posts) -

I don't think you can apply "growing the beard" to an audio format. Maybe it's just me but I can't hear the beard over the mic unless someone says outright that they currently possess a beard. So no, they never grew the beard. They just have more good bombcasts than bad ones.

#27 Posted by Ghostiet (5312 posts) -

@extomar said:

How does a podcast, which is an audio recording, grow facial hair?

If Patrick and Jeff could, so can an audio recording. HOOOOO

#28 Posted by oct_ONES (65 posts) -

Ryan should put up his beard for one of his crazy E3 bets this year. I'm convinced he no longer has a face underneath it.

#29 Posted by Kraznor (1588 posts) -

Hmm, I'm sorry I can't name the exact episode, but there was one they did as a replacement for a lost recording that I found really extraordinary. Jeff had some manner of synthesizer he was playing around with and at one point he opened a portal that allowed Nintendo's Howard Phillips to enter and talk about how great Slalom was. Just a really silly, improvised bit that came out of nowhere. Re-listened to that episode several times. That was certainly a moment where I felt the Bombcast was doing something that iterated on what made The Hotspot so good. It was looser, but still quality.

#30 Posted by wemibelec90 (1828 posts) -

I think the Bombcast has its ups and downs. It's never terrible, but there are particularly great episodes and fairly meh ones scattered throughout the hundreds of eps.

#31 Edited by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Circuit bending was early '09? Geez, everything still feels like it was a year ago.

#32 Edited by GValo (290 posts) -

t (aka the one where they "lost" the first recording and went and do another one accompanied by beers).

Do you remember which episode this is? I forgot about it and would love to re-listen to it

Online
#33 Posted by Jimbo (9983 posts) -

No, but it did jump the 'Shock.

#34 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

God I miss Nintendownloads it was such a stupid stupid segment that brought me so much joy.

Nothing stops the train! D:

#35 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

When Brad and Vinny joined up?