#1 Posted by LordJezo (82 posts) -

A big part of the last podcast was all about how it was so hot and everyone was melting, getting no sleep because of the heat, dying in their homes, and so on.

Why don't they just go get a window air unit for 100 bucks and turn it on? They all talked about how bad the heat was and acted like they lived in a world in which air conditioning didn't exist. I know it's not hot like that a lot but with all the other stuff folks like Jeff has in their house (old mattresses and unlimited boxes of game hardware), what stopping them from having a small ac unit for times like this?

#2 Posted by cutyoface (544 posts) -

Maybe because they record the podcast in a recording studio?

#3 Posted by LordJezo (82 posts) -

@cutyoface said:

What?

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@LordJezo said:

@cutyoface said:

What?

They sleep at the office man, like guard dogs.

#5 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@LordJezo: I think it's not worth the money for most people because San Francisco's climate leads to there being very few truly hot days that would require air conditioning.

#6 Posted by Nephrahim (1146 posts) -
#7 Posted by fodigga (123 posts) -

San Francisco hardly ever gets hot enough to warrant using AC. There may be a few days or weeks every year where the temperature gets up into the 90's, so buying an air conditioner for those days isn't really worth it.

#8 Posted by bemusedchunk (692 posts) -

So I've been to San Fran twice now.

The first time I packed all wrong.

"It's California!" I told myself. "It's gotta be like 90 all the time!" I said.

So I packed shorts and t-shirts. It got warm during the day, even hitting 90's once - but when the sun goes down it drops down to about 60. Cold as shit for wearing sandals, t-shirt and shorts. The fact that it's on the water means that it cools down really quickly at night. And it gets windy as fuck.

#9 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (113 posts) -

I have lived in the bay area all my life, attended school at San Francisco State University and there is no real reson, if u live In the city too have Central air or air conditioning. since the city is surrounded on three sides by water you constantly have the sea breeze and the fog keeping the city cool most of the year. So most of the time it's not necessary since its only really hot a hand full a times. If you go further down south like to San Jose area it's can get quite hot and more frequently there you'll find more air-condition houses. The reson being there's a Mountain buffer between the south bay and sea. San Francisco is its own little micro climate since there is no buffer. Like Mark Twain once said "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. "

#10 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

I'm not sure how many people have air-conditioning in SF, but it's relatively cool, if not cold, throughout the year as it's right in the bay. It's worth noting, however, that Jeff and Ryan live in Petaluma, which is north of San Francisco. It's hotter there, but as someone who lives in the Bay Area, it only gets unpleasantly hot a few weeks a year. All that changes once you hit the Central Valley (Fresno). Hope that answers your question.

#11 Posted by Arkasai (701 posts) -

Air conditioning is probably one of the more wasteful creature comforts known to man. I used to have some roommates who'd run their ACs day and night, to the point our electric bill was over $350. Call me cheap but a few degrees of comfort is not worth that kind of money every month. I'm perfectly comfortable even though it's 83 degrees at 2AM.

#12 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

@Arkasai said:

Air conditioning is probably one of the more wasteful creature comforts known to man. I used to have some roommates who'd run their ACs day and night, to the point our electric bill was over $350. Call me cheap but a few degrees of comfort is not worth that kind of money every month. I'm perfectly comfortable even though it's 83 degrees at 2AM.

Try living in the south east where the humidity makes the heat unbearable. Air condition is a must down here.

#13 Posted by Jrad (622 posts) -

I live in Nova Scotia, you know, in goddamned freeze-your-balls-off Canada, and I have air conditioning. I'm practically right next to the ocean. I seriously doubt I could survive without AC; my room reaches 30 degrees celsius without it. I'm confident if I flew to California I'd be dead in minutes. Heat and I do not get along. On the contrary, I leave my windows open during winter and absorb the cool, sub-zero temperatures while they last. There is no greater joy than being wrapped in a blanket in the dead of winter.

#14 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (113 posts) -

@jrad I'm not saying no one has air-conditioning In San Francisco a lot of people have fans ( like myself) too cool off.

#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Jrad

I live in Nova Scotia, you know, in goddamned freeze-your-balls-off Canada, and I have air conditioning. I'm practically right next to the ocean. I seriously doubt I could survive without AC; my room reaches 30 degrees celsius without it. I'm confident if I flew to California I'd be dead in minutes. Heat and I do not get along. On the contrary, I leave my windows open during winter and absorb the cool, sub-zero temperatures while they last. There is no greater joy than being wrapped in a blanket in the dead of winter.

I also live in Nova Scotia, and hot days here kill me, I can't imagine living in a hotter place.