• 88 results
Posted by Basm321 (203 posts) 1 month, 4 days ago

Poll: Do you listen to bombcast ads? (658 votes)

Yes 87%
No 7%
Sometimes 6%

I listen to every bombcast ad because they are actually entertaining. EVERY other podcast (about 6or8) I skip all ads because they are almost always reading from an humanless robotic script. The bombcast should get extra a revenues for providing something that actually makes me listen to the ad.

#1 Posted by telliot (30 posts) -

I like to think of the Bombcast ads as "Sponsored Entertainment." I think the way they do their ads gives a great example of how advertising can be done without making your audience feel like unwilling customers.

#2 Edited by CornBREDX (5387 posts) -

Yes, every time they have them. I don't go for the premium version. The ads are too funny.

It's the same for all the podcasts I listen to. The only podcast I skip ads on is HDTGM because Paul Scheer doesn't really do funny ads; he just kind of reads the ad and emphasizes how cool the product is. I mean, that's fine, but it's not interesting to listen to. They make for a good short break, though, even in cases like that.

Although, to be fair, MBMBAM ads are not always funny either. They were the first podcast I heard with ads a while back and they used to be funnier. It still gets goofy sometimes, though. They aren't afraid to do funny ads or anything. Sometimes they even probably go a little too far with joking about their ad partners products haha

It's cool of these companies to be ok with that, though. It is one reason I actually consider checking out several of them. If the ads were strict on not joking about them or something I probably wouldn't even listen to them. So, that's a smart thing for them to learn to be ok with.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (9159 posts) -

Absolutely. As Telliot said, they feel more like sponsored little bits of entertainment than traditional ads.

They should have more. If it means more support for Giant Bomb, I will gladly partake in more.

#4 Posted by Limond (19 posts) -

I have premium but I still listen to the adds. The add reads they do are so much better then any other podcast I listen to. Reading from a script is boring and I don't want those products. Make the ad into a funny joke and at least I'm happy listening to an ad, I may not get the product I they are selling but I enjoyed my interaction with hearing it so I won't completely disparage it.

#5 Posted by Pr1mus (3936 posts) -

Yes even though they aren't as good anymore without small businessman.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (9159 posts) -
@pr1mus said:

Yes even though they aren't as good anymore without small businessman.

Once we get a Bombcast East, he will rise again!

#7 Posted by INCSlayer (37 posts) -

@limond said:

I have premium but I still listen to the adds. The add reads they do are so much better then any other podcast I listen to. Reading from a script is boring and I don't want those products. Make the ad into a funny joke and at least I'm happy listening to an ad, I may not get the product I they are selling but I enjoyed my interaction with hearing it so I won't completely disparage it.

This is so true and i am doing the same thing for the exact same reason.

#8 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5284 posts) -

#9 Edited by KoolAid (945 posts) -

Are you collecting data on behalf of SquareSpace? (I have no idea if this is how it is spelled. I'm guess based on dumb tech names.)

EDIT: Nope it's Squarespace

#10 Posted by idoublespy (68 posts) -

I had a feeling everyone would listen to them. They are unlike any of the other ads that run on podcasts.

#11 Posted by wemibelec90 (1700 posts) -

I heard the first one and didn't find it funny whatsoever. Since then, I have listened to the premium version--and only the premium version--of the Bombcast.

#12 Posted by Daveyo520 (6794 posts) -

I miss small businessman.

#13 Posted by MachoFantastico (4719 posts) -

Most podcasts I listen to have ads so it doesn't bother me one bit. If anything if it helps keep the podcast running I'm all for it. Getting upset about them seems pointless to me as they're rarely very long anyway.

#14 Posted by dagas (2841 posts) -

Yes, I never skip things because trying to find the right time to jump to is not easy and many times I am listening to podcasts while biking or doing something else so I can not easily bring up my music device. That is why I hate the "spoiler alert, jump over this segment if you don't want spoilers" that some podcasts have. There is no way to know you do not jump forward too far and if you don't jump forward enough it can land you in the middle of the spoiler.

#15 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4540 posts) -

Yes. They aren't that long plus the crew actually tries to make the ads funny and interesting rather than reading the same printout week after week like every other effin podcast seems to do.

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11800 posts) -

They're not quite as good as when they were about Small Business Man, but... yep. Still reasonably entertaining.

#17 Posted by Usernameandemail (123 posts) -

Absolutely. Love helping them get that scrilla.

#18 Edited by Tom_omb (402 posts) -

Yes. Most podcasts I listen to do a pretty good job of delivering ads in their own voice. But the Bombcast's ads are some of my favorites. They are funnier then most comedy podcast ads by professional funny people.

#19 Edited by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

They were entertaining at first, but now they just come off as every other live read ad on a podcast. I still listen to the regular podcast because I figure they get paid for ad money based on number of listens, but I subconsciously tune the ads out.

#20 Posted by RazielCuts (2961 posts) -

Always and forever.

#21 Posted by Rigas (55 posts) -

My favourite part in the internal continuity and emerging story lines of the ads, like the recent Brad/Drew attempted mutiny.

Much more entertaining than most other ads on podcasts I listen to that are just the same copy read over and over again.

The Idle Thumbs Podcast has a pretty entertaining ad section too. but it's still nothing compared to the Bombcast.

I have actually stopped to listening to a few podcasts because of there awful ad delivery.

#22 Posted by coloursheep (45 posts) -

I never bother downloading the premium version and so long as it is not the guys just reading a script provided by someone else then I can;t see any reason to skip them

#23 Edited by Criven (9 posts) -

I never bother downloading the premium version and so long as it is not the guys just reading a script provided by someone else then I can;t see any reason to skip them

Same here. I have not taken the time to figure out how to get my podcast app to rip down the premium over the standard cast. They are short and pretty jovial. Small Business Man was the best. If they pre-record the bits I wonder if he gets a cameo in the future?

#24 Posted by dudeglove (7907 posts) -

They're entertaining. I'm worried that Small Businessman's adventures at the post office and pyramid scheme seminars are currently being subverted by Brad & Drew's fiendish plan to take the website away from Jeff. It's kinda like wrestling.

#25 Posted by Fattony12000 (7460 posts) -

Of course I do, it's more #content.

#26 Posted by Khann (2864 posts) -

No, I don't like ads.

#27 Posted by forteexe21 (384 posts) -

There are ads? They actually get paid for stamps and squarespace? Id listen to the adventures of Smallbusinessman alone for all i care.

#28 Posted by Basm321 (203 posts) -

@khann: nor do I, but the bombcast ads... They are something special

#29 Posted by PoisonJam7 (356 posts) -

Wait, there are ads on the Bombcast...? Granted, I haven't listened to a Bombcast since last July, but I don't recall there ever being any up to that point, but I have usually been a paid member too. I feel like I've missed some funny stuff going by these comments.

#30 Posted by Bollard (5599 posts) -

When's the #SmallBusinessCast?

#31 Edited by MEATBALL (3264 posts) -

Yup, I wasn't exactly happy to see their introduction, but on the bright side the crew has made them entertaining as hell - to the point where I'd probably feel like I was missing out if I were downloading the ad-free versions. :P

#32 Edited by DoctorTran (1563 posts) -

One of the few podcast ads I actually listen to. They actually make them entertaining, which helps.

#33 Posted by CaLe (3996 posts) -

No, skip past them.

#34 Posted by Corvak (1094 posts) -

If they keep doing Hulu Plus, I might as well skip, I can't actively subscribe even if I wanted to.

#35 Posted by m4r71n2012 (50 posts) -

yeah it's not like 30 seconds out of a 3 hour + podcast is going to kill me. I listen to the bombcast while at work anyway so anything to fill the time

#36 Posted by HammondofTexas (722 posts) -

Bring back small businessman!

#37 Edited by EXTomar (4772 posts) -

I listen to them like I listen to other ads in podcasts which is barely at all but that is fine for ads. In fact I would rather put ads in podcasts like this than other forms.

#38 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

No. I don't find them funny, sorry to be a hater.

The only podcast I even listen to the ads is Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast because it's hilarious listening to him struggle to read.

#39 Edited by BradBrains (962 posts) -

Small businessman will be missed. But yes I listen to them, it's very tongue In cheek so it's funny,

I find only them and jake and Amir's podcast try at all to make the ads amusing.

Honorable mention to jr talking about iPhone games he has obviously never played.

#40 Posted by forkboy (1154 posts) -

I don't go out of my way to skip them, but if the Premium Podcast feed updates before the regular Bombcast feed then I'll probably listen to that & pass on the ads. So sometimes is right.

#41 Edited by Amikron (312 posts) -

I have listened to the ads since they started but after this week's Hulu Plus ad I think I might have to start skipping them. That went on way too long and wasn't amusing to me at all.

I long for the days of the small businessman.

#42 Posted by Camelizer (81 posts) -

I listen to them all. I find it easier to just use the iTunes podcast feed to load up my iPod so those ones are automatically non-premium and skipping exactly past the ads using my iPod nano would be very frustrating. However, I actually enjoy listening to the ads and can not imagine living without the knowledge of the inspiring tale of Small Businessman.

#43 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (184 posts) -

I don't seperate them from the bombcast.

I did however change my alarm from shouting 'hey small bisness man' at me after a few weeks though, that got annoying.

#44 Edited by bboymaestro (291 posts) -

I've listened to them and enjoy them wholly. i've actually signed up for services based on their beck and call. That being said, has anyone collected any of the adverts, for anecdotal/funny ha-ha reasons? Would their be any legal problems with a compilation of the Hey Small Businessman Saga? I've been wanting to do that for a minute.

#45 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

I listen to the ads on every podcast I listen to - that doesn't mean I pay much attention to them though. (Plus, I've reached the point where I avoid trying to skip anything - it can become a real hassle sometimes).

#46 Posted by gk128 (13 posts) -

Yes, in fact this weeks membership ad just got me to pay $35 to re-up my yearly Premium. I let it lapse a few months ago, and never got back around to renewing. Until now.

#47 Posted by Patman99 (1593 posts) -

I think ads are an inherently terrible but necessary evil. Giant Bomb does podcast ads really well and I willingly listen to them. They are occasionally quite funny.

#48 Posted by Rotnac (774 posts) -

I listen to em. They're entertaining and it gets the message across to whatever they're advertising. I honestly don't know why they waste their time uploading an ad free version on the Premium feed.

Small Businessman was the best and I like the ridiculous fact that some of the newer ads on occasion has some continuity to them. That's advertising I can get behind.

#49 Posted by Yagami (590 posts) -

They are fucking hilarious. Always listen to them. :3

#50 Posted by CatsAkimbo (629 posts) -

I'm so glad they offer premium so that I don't feel guilty about never seeing or hearing an ad on here. I'd much rather support them directly with a little money than indirectly through ads, even if what you all say is true and they aren't terrible ads.