#1 Posted by StriderNo9 (1082 posts) -

Anyone else notice how Jeff talks, he usually starts out sort of loud and as his sentence ends he gets lower and lower (and sometimes faster). And then it picks up again when he says something else. Now that I've noticed I can't unhear it. 

Rock on.  

#2 Posted by Guyzea (815 posts) -

That's how I just read your post, thanks a lot.

#3 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

Ever notice how you talk? With words, ew!

#4 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

They all talk ad say words alot differently, each with her own mannerisms', which everyone has

#5 Posted by StriderNo9 (1082 posts) -

LOL relax guys I'm not hating on Jeff, just pointing it out, I just noticed it, no harm :)

#6 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

he talks like Michael Ironside then

#7 Posted by natetodamax (19176 posts) -

I've noticed that too.

#8 Posted by Steeeeve (7 posts) -
@Laketown: No, Jeff doesn't drunkenly slur his words.  Well, not all the time, anyway.
#9 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

YES. Thank God I'm not the only one who notices this. For those who don't see it: listen to Jeff say "This is not an awesome action game." when talking about Tron Legacy. 

#10 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -
@StriderNo9 said:
" LOL relax guys I'm not hating on Jeff, just pointing it out, I just noticed it, no harm :) "
No one said you were hating.  This defensive (for no reason) post confirms it, though.
#11 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

Both Jeff and Ryan get real quiet/mumbly at the end of sentences sometimes, which is fine unless you are like me and listen to podcasts while driving and quiet parts are inaudible over the sounds of the car -- especially on highways.

#12 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -
@ez123 said:
" @StriderNo9 said:
" LOL relax guys I'm not hating on Jeff, just pointing it out, I just noticed it, no harm :) "
No one said you were hating.  This defensive (for no reason) post confirms it, though. "
People acted like he was. Post justified.
#13 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

For some reason I really like the way he talks. I can't pinpoint it.

Oh and all the weird-ass references to gangs and drugs are hilarious.

#14 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

People in general tend to trail off at the end of their sentences. 

#15 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" @ez123 said:
" @StriderNo9 said:
No one said you were hating.  This defensive (for no reason) post confirms it, though. "
People acted like he was. Post justified. "
There are a grand total of three posts before the defensive one. Which one of them says that he is hating?
#16 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

I guess no one smacked him in the back of the head and told him to speak up when he was a kid

:(

#17 Posted by Milkman (16535 posts) -

No, I don't think I ever noticed that...

#18 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5380 posts) -
@ez123: All of them! Highlight their posts and you'll see, "Why are you hating on Jeff?" 

They used black text so it is hard to see.
#19 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
@ez123 said:
" @Dtat said:
" @ez123 said:
" @StriderNo9 said:
People acted like he was. Post justified. "
There are a grand total of three posts before the defensive one. Which one of them says that he is hating? "
I believe the great philosophist Socrates once said:
"Haters gonna hate. Skaters gonna skate."
#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Everyone has their own way of talking.

#21 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" he talks like Michael Ironside then "
Yes.
#22 Posted by ajamafalous (11857 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" People in general tend to trail off at the end of their sentences.  "
#23 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

That description sounds exactly like will smith.

#24 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

No but have you noticed how Brad's reaction to everything, whether good or bad, is a dramatic groan?
"Starcraft" - *groan* 
"Deadly Premonition" - *groan* 
 Damn, it gets so annoying.

#25 Posted by Agent_Eli (136 posts) -

I've sort have adopted some adopted some Jeffisms in my daily without noticing. Some of them include:
-Referring to individuals who do actions  hard to understand or justify  as "crazy people"  (i.e. a game developer would perhaps make a design decision that obviously made the game worse than better "Why would they do that? those are crazy people!"
-simplify a situation to another person, starting with the word "yo" and ending it in question form. (I.e. in regards to whether if you should purchase Modern Warfare 2 "Yo, do you like shooting dudes and modern military settings?")
- repeat a subject or verb clause twice in a sentence (i.e. "I was going to buy a second iPhone earlier, but then decided it would be a bad idea if I buy a second iPhone")

#26 Posted by 4D (97 posts) -

#27 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

I must listen to a podcast to test this. I've never noticed such things.

#28 Edited by pweidman (2299 posts) -

Jeff talks, I listen. It's what he's saying that's worth my time...usually.  

Errr, unless he and Ryan are doing their monotone gag, then he's annoying as hell, lol.
#29 Posted by StriderNo9 (1082 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac: I noticed that too but it doesn't bother me. He usually sounds how I feel.  

@luigi8922:
  That's pretty funny. I've done similar. That's why I like GiantBomb they have a similar sense of humor to me so it works.  
#30 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

I've never specifically noticed that, I do notice that all of them like to talk low at some points, and I don't think they move closer to the mic because sometimes I can't hear what they're saying even with my volume all the way up if I'm doing something like mowing my lawn.

#31 Posted by bkbroiler (1607 posts) -

Jeff talks how most people speak.

If you want a really bad example of trailing off at the end of a sentence, try listening to Nathan Rabin speak on an AV Club podcast.

#32 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

It would be even weirder if he talked louder at the end of his sentences and started off low.

#33 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@Suicidal_SNiper: Because then he would sound like a fucking insane person. I have heard people talk like that and they can incredibly poignant and bright, but they will still sound fucking insane.   

@cnlmullen: Yeah I get the same thing riding the train. leaves me with the choice of cranking the volume so my ears bleed, or just not hearing certain things. I have to say it's not uncommon for this to happen whole listening to people talk on any media though. 
#34 Posted by Vonocourt (2123 posts) -

For some reason I find Jeff's delivery to be not so dissimilar to Paul F. Thompkins. 

#35 Posted by Safe_Bet (20 posts) -

cool thread bro 

:p

#36 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Ever noticed how Vinny will go "..tst" every few sentences when someone's speaking. 

I can't not notice it now.

#37 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

At least he doesn't talk like Mark Wahlberg and end every sentence with an out-of-breath upwards inflection.

#38 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

its like a roller coaster ! YAY

#39 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -
@Suicidal_SNiper said:
" It would be even weirder if he talked louder at the end of his sentences and started off low. "
Regis Philbin
#40 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -
@cnlmullen said:
" Both Jeff and Ryan get real quiet/mumbly at the end of sentences sometimes, which is fine unless you are like me and listen to podcasts while driving and quiet parts are inaudible over the sounds of the car -- especially on highways. "
Dude, so true. This happened last week when I was driving to work. Ryan got so quiet and I couldn't hear him.
#41 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Jeff and Ryan both use "what" in place of "that" which could be a west coast thing. I have no idea, but it's incorrect. It's the only thing that irritates me about them. 

Example: Dead Space 2 is a game made by the company what brought you Dead Space 1.

#42 Posted by Lucien_Lachance (207 posts) -

Also, he pronounces "channel" as "chennel." You can hear it in this week's Nintendownload X-press among other places.