• 51 results
Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

If my memory serves me right didn't the crew hint at some game of the generation bombcasts at the end of the game of the year bombcasts from last year?

Have they said anything about them since?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Like you I remember them mentioning it, as far as I recall they seemed a little bit unsure of how exactly they would go about it, whether it would be best game or most important, do you have single games or series and do you rank 1-10 etc or just have a general unranked top 10.

I would like to hear them do one, even if it wasn't scientific (ahem) like the Christmas GOTY podcasts - it would be interesting to hear, and to see if I can guess any in advance.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I do remember this and am still looking forward to it.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By AMyggen

It seemed more of a joke than anything else, and they didn't come close to promising anything. Jeff has never really been a big fan of lists (GOTY excluded, I guess), so I highly doubt it. Not a big loss imo, Game of the Generation lists are stupid. It's bad enough to compare every game that came out in a given year and set up some arbitrary list, but of the whole generation? Nah. They'll never do anything like that.

Jeff's GOTG is Burnout Paradise by the way, so there you have his list!

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they never do this. I already hate the whole GOTY thing, and this would be 100x worse.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

It seemed more of a joke than anything else, and they didn't come close to promising anything. Jeff has never really been a big fan of lists (GOTY excluded, I guess), so I highly doubt it. Not a big loss imo, Game of the Generation lists are stupid. It's bad enough to compare every game that came out in a given year and set up some arbitrary list, but of the whole generation? Nah. They'll never do anything like that.

Jeff's GOTG is Burnout Paradise by the way, so there you have his list!

Huh, I thought it would have been COD4. But now you mention it I seem to remember him saying this but I wasn't sure whether it was slightly in jest or not.

I would really like them to do it. I wouldn't expect them to rank them in order or anything stupid, because that is impossible in such a long generation, but it would be cool to hear what they thought were the stand out games of the last gen. Maybe put together a list of 10 or 20.

It could be done more as a retrospective of the last generation where they just talk about what they think they most significant/best games were. Like a personal history of the last 10 years or so of gaming. I think it would be nice to get some sort of content on what the last generation meant to them in some way.

Obviously it is much more difficult now because they are all spread over the country, but hopefully they can sort something. I've PM'ed Jeff for Jar Time so maybe he will give us his thoughts there.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx: Yup, COD4 and Burnout Paradise would probably be his top 2 games.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the GOTY deliberations, all the ridiculous categories and such. GOTG would be great but the moment has kind of passed.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This would be great but the crew says a lot of things that a. they never had any intention of doing OR b. find a way to get out of doing said idea.

Would be a fun, fun conversation, epic battle of Brad v. Jeff on where Red Dead lands on the list.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls II would have to be in the conversation now, which is why it wouldn't have worked last year.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: How is Dark Souls 2 going to make the list when they all think it's the worst souls game?

A game of the generation list would be dumber than the goty lists. Listen to them argue over saints row and Skyrim. There's absolutely no way to compare those games and opening it up to the entire generation would be even more meaningless.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it will happen. Jeff wasn't thrilled about the idea and said it would probably become more of a Top 10 most obvious games anyway.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to think Jeff is above that sort of bullshit.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hunkulese: No one has said that, I mean I'm sure most would say it's worse than Dark Souls, but I'd be pretty amazed if they said it was worse than Demon's Souls. Regardless it doesn't actually matter what they think of it; it simply wasn't out before last year and thus was out of the discussion despite being an extremely prominent game that's almost certain to win the vast majority of Game of the Year awards this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Brad will literally take over the whole podcast with Dota 2 so I'd never want to hear it. He was terrible last year with GOTY podcasts with his blind loyalty to that game... and I actually like Dota.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GENERATION BOMBCAST

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would love to hear them do this. I think it'd be sad if they didn't do it - people can say it'd be stupid, but at the end of the day it would be a chance for everyone on the staff to think of they're ten favourite games from the last six years.

For all the talk of how negative and snark-ey everything is (which I don't necessarily agree with), this would be a chance for the crew to talk about the games they love and why they love them, as well as the wider context ofn why they were influential in the generation and the games it inspired.

I think they should do it, I'd really enjoy such an eclectic, broad discussion.

dizzylemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an interesting idea, but when is the last generation even over? If new games are still coming out on the PS3 / 360 then they should still be in contention?

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By KaneRobot

@amyggen: Rock Band 3 probably would have been up there as well based on comments made while they were discussing such a list.

So we've got CoD 4, Burnout Paradise, and Rock Band 3 for the JG list.

Who needs a podcast? We can make their own top games list for them. I'm actually more than fine with all of those games being in the discussion.

-----

But yeah, the moment has passed. Would seem forced and awkward to do it now.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna hear it

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: No one has said that, I mean I'm sure most would say it's worse than Dark Souls, but I'd be pretty amazed if they said it was worse than Demon's Souls. Regardless it doesn't actually matter what they think of it; it simply wasn't out before last year and thus was out of the discussion despite being an extremely prominent game that's almost certain to win the vast majority of Game of the Year awards this year.

I highly doubt it's going to win the majority of the game of the year awards. It feels a lot like Bioshock Infinite did last year. Lots of great early reviews but after people played it the general consensus seemed to settle around "it's pretty good." On top of that it's still a niche game that most people won't even play let alone finish. There are far too many great looking games still coming out. I can't see them all being flops.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I continue to think the idea of an all-encompassing "Game of the Generation" is lame, but I wouldn't mind weird obstructionism, strawmen arguments and "this is going to get really gnarly really quickly if they don't decide between Saints Row and Skyrim right now" in podcast form more than once a year.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad will literally take over the whole podcast with Dota 2 so I'd never want to hear it. He was terrible last year with GOTY podcasts with his blind loyalty to that game... and I actually like Dota.

I thought to myself how annoying it would be to listen to specifically because of Brad and had actually forgot about that whole debacle last year... UGH!!! Fuck everything about that!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Who needs a podcast? We can make their own top games list for them. I'm actually more than fine with all of those games being in the discussion.

I think we already did that and Mass Effect 2 won, much to the chagrin of people who don't like Mass Effect 2.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not to ruin it for you, but it was CoD4.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@arbitrarywater: I like Mass Effect 2 but that shit ain't no Last of Us/Dark Souls/Witcher 2/Dark Souls 2/Uncharted 2/Black Flag.

@hunkulese: There is 1 (one) game coming out and it's not coming out in November or anything to make it a recency bias thing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I assume this is never happening, they haven't talked about it in forever and when they did they sounded half-hearted about it.

But if they did do it and they were into it, I'd love to hear it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were going to do it, but then they took an arrow to the...

The last generation is dead.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm pretty sure they joked about it a few times.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I think it'd be cool to see the staff's personal lists for their game's of the generation instead. Something they could base off their personal tastes. Maybe a write up on the site or a podcast dedicated to that kind of discussion. In my opinion, that would be much more of an interesting and fun listen/read then an objective discussion on what the top overall game's of the generation are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think it would be kinda neat but I'm not sure how on earth you organize something like that. Listing all of the games they played since the release of the ps3 and xbox360 seems ridiculous. Plus certain games may not have aged well. Burnout Paradise was a marvel but it doesn't hold up as well as it did when it was first released.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irvandus said:

I think it would be kinda neat but I'm not sure how on earth you organize something like that. Listing all of the games they played since the release of the ps3 and xbox360 seems ridiculous. Plus certain games may not have aged well. Burnout Paradise was a marvel but it doesn't hold up as well as it did when it was first released.

Burnout Paradise holds up just as well. It's still a complete blast to play.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

They said that maybe they'd do it in January. Then it didn't happen. I think the idea might've come up once since, and Jeff didn't dismiss it outright, but I think the time they'd have done it has passed.

As a fan of the GOTY craziness, I'd still be all for it.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irvandus said:

Burnout Paradise holds up just as well. It's still a complete blast to play.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I also agree that Burnout Paradise still completely holds up today.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fredchuckdave

You know if they did this instead of GoTY in December that would work, because fuck all actually came out this year (aside from the best game).

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

They don't have time. Only December has no games out and no appointments with developers, and December needs to be time for game of the year videos.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I think that is a horrible fucking idea. They would go crazy talking about it and I would go crazy listening to it. The GOTY stuff is one thing (a years worth of games is manageable for discussion), but doing something similar for 8 years worth of games is fucking foolhardy.

Its different when IGN or Gamespot does it because they aren't sitting down in a room and hashing it out. They come up with a big huge list of games and have the editors vote multiple times until a manageable list is formed. It's all very clean and mathematical. With Giant bomb its only 4 or 5 peoples opinions, but they take a human approach: more meaningful, but messier.

So yeah... Don't do that...

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

also they should start doing weekly top 10 lists

and get some gamer girls in bikinis to read the latest in gaming news

the best though would be starting up a review of pre-orders. which ad campaigns and empty promises deserve my dollars most? all of them? ok.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know if they did this instead of GoTY in December that would work, because fuck all actually came out this year (aside from the best game).

I know you get off on being a troll, but there are a lot of great looking games still to come out this year.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hunkulese: Well it's basically Far Cry 4 and Destiny; Destiny is too ambitious to pan out fully but Far Cry 4 could be good, would have to be ridiculously good to outclass Dark Souls 2. Dragon Age is a piece of shit franchise, Driveclub is a driving game, AC: Unity is virtually guaranteed to be worse than ACIV, and Shadow of Mordor looks okay. That's not even 10 games, let alone 10 good games.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By GunstarRed

Nah, they shouldn't do this. It wouldn't be fun to listen to and people would just bitch about their choices because it doesn't match up with their own personal opinions.

I'm sure someone could make a pretty good argument fot Street Fighter IV, and another Skyrim, and another for Rock Band 3 etc, etc. A top 10 personal choices for all the staff members would be a better option, but until this generation ends (Persona 5 isn't even out and I bet someone's gonna have things to say about that.) it's pretty pointless.

slindz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By slindz

The amount of bickering would be fucking awesome. I want some Brad vs Jeff coop vs competitive shooter-level arguments again. And @fredchuckdave you're assuming way too much bro.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slindz: Assuming way too much about what? Making a top 10 games list out of the 8 or 9 games that came out this year?

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of nonsensical when the winner (Persona 5) isn't out yet.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't even need to hammer out a list, or name a game of the generation.

Just do a cast where they talk about games they liked - and want to talk about.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: Well it's basically Far Cry 4 and Destiny; Destiny is too ambitious to pan out fully but Far Cry 4 could be good, would have to be ridiculously good to outclass Dark Souls 2. Dragon Age is a piece of shit franchise, Driveclub is a driving game, AC: Unity is virtually guaranteed to be worse than ACIV, and Shadow of Mordor looks okay. That's not even 10 games, let alone 10 good games.

I thought this was about the staff's game of the year or are you just talking about your personal list? It's convenient that you've already decided which games will be trash. They've also expressed enthusiasm for a number of other games. The Witness could be great. Sunset Overdrive could be great. Evolve could be great. The Alien game could be great. Alien Civ could be great. Bayonetta could be great. It's unlikely but Hyrule Warriors could be the biggest dark horse if they can actually combine what people like about both franchises.

Even if they had to put their lists together today I'm not convinced they'd have Dark Souls above South Park.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jesus_Phish

Just give it to Red Dead Redemption and be done with it.

Nah in all seriousness it'd be a good podcast to listen to.

But also just give it to RDR.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I thought that was a joke that coincided with the polls in these forum.

I am all for the team at each others throats, but I don't know how it would work... luckily for us, this was not a generation with lack of candidates.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Trilogy

At first I was all in to this idea, since I love the GOTY discussions, but the more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure of it. Under Jeff's proposed stipulation of only including console games, I feel way less interested in such a compilation. Mainly because it leaves out too many important games that I think would totally deserve to be, AT THE VERY LEAST, considered. However, I understand why he made that stipulation. There are a few fringe cases that would be kind of hard to nail down. You could make it work, though.

At a certain point, the games chosen are kind of pointless anyway. Jeff thinks Burnout is the game of the generation, but would he still feel that way if that game didn't line up with him having a lot of free time to play it? Also he thinks Wii Sports is GOTG material. This starts to delve into, is this a best games of the generation, or most important games of the generation? Wii sports is important, but it's not really that great of a game.

I would probably still enjoy the discussion, however. It would be a bit different in this case since the games being discussed won't be as fresh in the crew's mind as they are with GOTY. This sort plays into the whole idea of "is this game really that great? Or is your memory of it kind of skewed by nostalgia?"

Anyway, if they ever did get around to doing it, I would totally listen to it. If they didn't, however, I wouldn't really care.