#1 Posted by savingpvtbryan (5 posts) -

I've been meaning to write this post for a long time but I've never had the chance to.

Bottom line: The Giant Bombcast podcast is way too long, generally speaking. Please limit it to 1.5 hours per episode. I've got a job and family now, I can't spend 3 hours a week listening to just one podcast.

I've been a longtime listener of Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Alex, et al. and followed them here from Gamespot. The Hotspot was a podcast I listened to religiously. I loved these guys so much that I came to Giant Bomb and became a paid subscriber (I still am although I'm not as active as I used to be on Gamespot). If I was younger I wouldn't mind listening to all the extra stuff the guys on the podcast talk about but I've got a career and family now so it's very difficult for me to listen to just one podcast for three hours. Gaming is and always will be a very important part of my life and the guys at Giant Bomb have helped me keep my connection to the gaming world for a long time. I only wish they could do it in 90 minutes or less. A podcast that was structured for people like me would be much appreciated.

Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Listen to sections during driving. There ya go.

#3 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

The Bombcast doesn't revolve around you.

#4 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

i listen to the podcast a lot when i'm on my commute or like, playing a video game w/out sound/music or something. i'll usually knock a podcast out pretty quickly so the length is no problem for me. in fact, i'm always a bit disappointed when the podcast length is less than three hours.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14754 posts) -

Listen to it in sections. Personally I love 3 hour bombcasts. Then again I listen to at least 10+ hours of podcasts every week.

#6 Posted by captain_max707 (489 posts) -

Lately I am disappointed if it is not around three hours, so I guess I don't share your perspective.

#7 Edited by TheHT (11130 posts) -

Literally just you literally.

#8 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

Well, it does, but only half the time. The Bombcast is part of a binary start system and also revolves around me, the second star.

#9 Posted by senrat (321 posts) -

Its the perfect length for me. I end of finishing them just in time for the next one. I listen to them on commutes and in between classes.

#11 Posted by Voxus (333 posts) -

That sucks you can't find time to listen to a podcast.

#12 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (460 posts) -

You don't have to listen to all of it, sir.

#13 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4191 posts) -

No. I love the long podcast. They're the only ones that do it anymore.

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I remember the threat of it being cut in half for non prem members.

#16 Edited by Codeacious (960 posts) -

I don't listen to it all at once; I listen to it in bits and pieces as I go to and from class, eat lunch, etc. It often takes me a good part of the week to get through all of it.

The length is fine as is.

#18 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I have an hour long commute both ways to and from school, so having a podcast that lasts the entire trip and more instead of half of it is great.

#19 Edited by RioStarwind (521 posts) -

I manage to have plenty of time to listen to the bombcast but that's only because I walk at least a hour a day. It's not like you have to finish it in a week.

#20 Posted by FLStyle (4660 posts) -

I've been meaning to write this post for a long time but I've never had the chance to.

Bottom line: The Giant Bombcast podcast is way too long, generally speaking. Please limit it to 1.5 hours per episode. I've got a job and family now, I can't spend 3 hours a week listening to just one podcast.

I've been a longtime listener of Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Alex, et al. and followed them here from Gamespot. The Hotspot was a podcast I listened to religiously. I loved these guys so much that I came to Giant Bomb and became a paid subscriber (I still am although I'm not as active as I used to be on Gamespot). If I was younger I wouldn't mind listening to all the extra stuff the guys on the podcast talk about but I've got a career and family now so it's very difficult for me to listen to just one podcast for three hours. Gaming is and always will be a very important part of my life and the guys at Giant Bomb have helped me keep my connection to the gaming world for a long time. I only wish they could do it in 90 minutes or less. A podcast that was structured for people like me would be much appreciated.

This thread is made a once or twice a year by someone who unfortunately finds that they can't devote the time anymore to listen to the entire bombcast every week. Truth is, you find yourself part of the minority, where the majority of listeners are fine with the bombcast as it is, as are the staff unless they say otherwise.

I'd love to give you a solution to your problem but as far as I can tell the situation is still the same as before with the few who have brought this up previously, you must make the bombcast work for you, not the other way around, sorry.

#21 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (283 posts) -

I'm on the other end. Three hours a week aint enough for me.

#22 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -

That is the best part.

#23 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

So... you dont enjoy the bombcast unless you listen to the whole thing?

Seems like a pretty weak reason to artificially shorten it.

#24 Posted by JJOR64 (18955 posts) -

NEVER

#25 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

The solution here is incredibly simple. Listen to the bombcast in sections, or just don't listen. That's the best thing about podcast, you can listen however you want. Now if you felt like conversations drag on and being shorter would improve it's quality, than that's something different. I personally don't think that's an issue here.

Personally I hate the super short edited podcasts. I want the natural feel of a conversation. I shouldn't be able to tell you're trying to rush through things because you have to get it in an hour.

It helps that I'm able to multitask and work in an environment where I can listen to podcasts. 30 - 40 hours of podcasts in a week isn't too hard to get through.

#26 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

I always listen to it in sections. I havent listed to it one go in a long time instead I get listen to in sections while im on the bus/playing games etc. It usually takes me a week to listen to it :)

#27 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Yeah it's pretty much just you, the long bombcasts are great

#28 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

IF ANYTHING, it should be LONGER

#29 Posted by Sackmanjones (4685 posts) -

The longer the podcast the fucking better. NEVER CHANGE BOMBCAST! NEVER CHANGE!

#30 Edited by zoozilla (978 posts) -

I have an hour long commute both ways to and from school, so having a podcast that lasts the entire trip and more instead of half of it is great.

Same here. It's amazing how much you can listen to on those long commutes. Back when my commute was only a few minutes, I never listened to any podcasts. Now subscribe to around 5.

#31 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

I don't like how sometimes they spend two hours talking about their lives and then complain about running long and rush through all the video game news. All I care about is the video game news, and they have a pretty unique perspective on the industry so it is a shame it is hidden in between talking about tv shows they watch or shit they ate or people that piss them off.

Giant Bombcast: The Most Narcissistic Podcast on the Internet.

#32 Posted by JBG4 (410 posts) -

I also have all the things that you mentioned above and I don't just lock myself in a room and listen to the entire thing at once. I throw it in my car and listen while I'm commuting or I put in my headphones and listen while I play a game. It's pretty simple.

I am growing increasingly tired of people complain about the content around here, the bombcast is too long, TNT is too similar to Unprofessional Fridays... Just enjoy what we get. We are a great community. I've been around Giant Bomb for almost 5 years now and I love all the content that we get. Sit back, have fun, and stop complaining.

#33 Posted by mlarrabee (2920 posts) -

I listen to it while working.

It's at its best when I can mark my lunch hour by the ending of the podcast.

#34 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2451 posts) -

I wish it was longer. But 3 hours is okay, I guess.

#35 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -

I listen to it over the week, and rarely ever finish it in one sitting.

I suggest you do the same.

edit: also, don't bother with the people flipping the fuck out over this. There was some stupid arguing about this a few months back, I think.

#36 Posted by spiceninja (3056 posts) -

Any time it's under 3 hours I'm a tad bit disappointed.

#38 Posted by Slag (4236 posts) -

It sure beats the other potential problem, i.e. a world where the bombcast is too short.

You can always listen to only part of a bombcast if need be, but you have no ability to add to it.

I don't like how sometimes they spend two hours talking about their lives and then complain about running long and rush through all the video game news. All I care about is the video game news, and they have a pretty unique perspective on the industry so it is a shame it is hidden in between talking about tv shows they watch or shit they ate or people that piss them off.

Personally I wouldn't mind more industry discussion myself either, it's my favorite part of the cast too.

But to play Devil's advocate a bit and to speculate on what really makes this site go financially, I suspect the real driver of their audience is actually the other stuff. What the bombcrew seem to have stumbled onto in my opinion is the videogame version of what Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh do in a sense which is personality driven commentary (in this case 5 personalities).

It'd be interesting to know what actually drives pageviews, downloads and subscriptions here. My bet is "Teh Lulz" and such is the secret sauce Giant Bomb uses to differentiate themselves from their competition whether they know it or not.

#39 Posted by Time_Lord (714 posts) -

I love long podcasts like the bomb cast I normally play Civ 5 or total war while listening to them. When SimCity comes out I will be playing that as well but I am also unemployed at the moment so that's probably why.

Another good thing to do is listen to them while you go to sleep that's what I use to to do when iwas working.

#40 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Narcissism? What?

The best way to improve the podcast at this point would be to drop the videogame talk all together.

#41 Edited by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

I could listen to Jeff, Ryan, Vinnie and Brad talk about what they had for lunch for 3 hours. I don't listen to the Bombcast for news, because by the time I hear the show, I've heard whatever news they're going to bring up. The 3 hour Bombcast is literally why I get out of bed on Wednesday mornings. It is the highlight of my week and I wouldn't change a damn thing about it.

#42 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1240 posts) -

Bottom line: I think the bombcast is too short.

If you can't listen to all of it then don't, no one is forcing you.

#43 Posted by Aetheldod (3551 posts) -

No dude .... ;_; leave them alone

#44 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3794 posts) -

BOO THIS MAN

#45 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

I don't think it's just you, OP, but you're certainly not speaking for most here.

#46 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#47 Edited by madman356647 (245 posts) -

I subscribe to the bombcast and another that is 3.5 hours long (podcast of a radio show I like). I listen to them at work, or when I'm traveling. To be honest, it's fine in my book. Since they're weekly, I'd imagine one would be able to chip at it in 30 minute intervals or so.

But, then again, I know everyone's got their things y'know.

#48 Posted by Teoball (591 posts) -

This again.. Around 3 hours is perfect length for me.

#49 Posted by ripelivejam (3788 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

Well, it does, but only half the time. The Bombcast is part of a binary start system and also revolves around me, the second star.

hey i wanted to be that star :'(

#50 Posted by Nerdboxer (17 posts) -

I don't mind the length, I just wish there was some way they could do chapter markers or timestamps or something. There are times I just don't have interest in what they are talking about or want to avoid spoiling something.