#1 Posted by flippyandnod (344 posts) -

After AC3 stunk up the podcast last year, how can there not be an IP "comeback of the year" category with AC4 at the front.

I don't know if I've seen a turnaround like this ever.

#2 Posted by e30bmw (355 posts) -

I have a feeling Jeff would argue for KI over that.

#3 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

In all honesty it should be Final Fantasy 14. If you knew the comeback this game made there is no other choice. It wsa also a sign of how SE starting more and more to change and listen to fans. They put millions and million of dollar into this reboot and it became maybe the best MMO out there.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (34611 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

Does it count as a comeback when there hasn't been an installment since the 90s?

#5 Posted by notdavid (757 posts) -

I'd nominate Tomb Raider. The past few by Crystal Dynamics haven't necessarily been stinkers, but this year's reboot is really something special in a series that's been nothing but mediocre-to-okay since the PS1.

#6 Posted by punkxblaze (2878 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

Does it count as a comeback when there hasn't been an installment since the 90s?

I'd say it especially counts as a comeback.

#7 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (422 posts) -

"Biggest Surprise" is probably more appropriate

#8 Posted by Korwin (2721 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@e30bmw said:

For it to be a comeback it would have to have had some great moment in it's history, KI certainly doesn't qualify as a comeback.

You'll be looking at Tomb Raider, AC4 and Shadowrun Returns in this category if it pops up.

#9 Posted by TopSteer (624 posts) -

@notdavid said:

I'd nominate Tomb Raider. The past few by Crystal Dynamics haven't necessarily been stinkers, but this year's reboot is really something special in a series that's been nothing but mediocre-to-okay since the PS1.

Even though I'm a big defender of Underworld, I think I'd agree you. Tomb Raider is probably my favorite game this year.

#10 Edited by csl316 (7359 posts) -

I liked Devil May Cry 4 and the most recent Tomb Raiders, but the amount of praise the new ones have gotten this year has to count for something.

#11 Posted by crithon (2579 posts) -

@notdavid said:

actually wasn't there a quote by Jason Rubin was saying how Tomb Raider never did any innovation compared to Crash Bandicoot or even Crash team racing.

But Tomb Raider is an odd creature, it really does play better, the whole scurrying to add boost to a climb or the dodge into a melee kill are really excellent designs. But those quick time events and story are poor. There's a bit around the middle where she sees herself in the mirror, which is effective but then there's a photo and there's audio of a friend talking about how mousey and bookish she is but in the photo she looks so outgoing, strong and confident. In the audio they just said she wasn't confident. It's an odd thing, where audio logs are not good story devices when you develop art or even cinematic that don't work along with it. To me, Tomb Raider is the poster child of Ludonarrative Dissonance.

But yeah, it's a considerable change, since the platforming in this series was terrible when Mario 64 was out at the time.

#12 Posted by kishinfoulux (2077 posts) -

@darji said:

In all honesty it should be Final Fantasy 14. If you knew the comeback this game made there is no other choice. It wsa also a sign of how SE starting more and more to change and listen to fans. They put millions and million of dollar into this reboot and it became maybe the best MMO out there.

Well Final Fantasy XIV is set to be GOTY so we can't let it hog up all the awards. >_>

<_<

#13 Posted by Damodar (1155 posts) -

Clearly, it would be NBA Live.

#14 Posted by Slag (3339 posts) -

@korwin said:

@punkxblaze said:

@video_game_king said:

@e30bmw said:

For it to be a comeback it would have to have had some great moment in it's history, KI certainly doesn't qualify as a comeback.

You'll be looking at Tomb Raider, AC4 and Shadowrun Returns in this category if it pops up.

Well what counts as great? At least commercially KI seemed like a huge success at the time. Critically I don't remember how it was received, but certainly it was pretty popular.

#15 Posted by BisonHero (5669 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

@video_game_king said:

@e30bmw said:

Maybe it's a little early to call, but maybe Double Helix Games deserves Comeback of the Year? Most of their other stuff is pretty mediocre, but between Killer Instinct being surprisingly well put together, and upcoming Strider also seeming like a perfectly good game, they've improved a lot all of a sudden.

#16 Posted by Korwin (2721 posts) -

@slag said:

@korwin said:

@punkxblaze said:

@video_game_king said:

@e30bmw said:

Well what counts as great? At least commercially KI seemed like a huge success at the time. Critically I don't remember how it was received, but certainly it was pretty popular.

Critically, not well.

You can't come back from a place you ain't ever been.

#17 Posted by flippyandnod (344 posts) -

That people came up with two or more other great possibilities (KI, Tomb Raider) is all the more reason to have a category like this, at least this year.