• 61 results
#1 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

I kinda loved last year's podcast recording of the team's GOTY deliberations - working nightshift through the holidays its nice to have an 8 hour long argument about games to listen to.

I don't think I've heard them say anything this year about recording their deliberations, but maybe I've missed something. I know they didn't finish their process on Friday and will be reconvening on Monday to settle the GOTY stuff.

Anybody know if they'll be putting it out on the Bombcast? Anybody else really enjoy last years? I know I did.

#2 Posted by wemibelec90 (1493 posts) -

I'm sure that's what they are going to do. Why wouldn't they?

#3 Posted by Drebin_893 (2891 posts) -

They've done it every year, so I imagine they will. It was the argument between MGS4 and GTA IV that always stays in my memory, that was definitely the best podcast I've ever listened to.

#4 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

They just haven't said anything about doing it so far, AFAIK. I seem to remember them letting people know last year in advance.

#5 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Yeah it should be sometime next week according to Jeff

#6 Posted by DeF (4775 posts) -

expect 20 hours of arguments about not allowing TrackMania 2 to win GOTY :D

they should be appearing daily between xmas and new year again.

#7 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -

In preparation ive downloaded last years Podcasts, need lots of content since I have some more free time around Christmas.

#8 Posted by DeF (4775 posts) -

@Pazy said:

In preparation ive downloaded last years Podcasts, need lots of content since I have some more free time around Christmas.

you can always listen to the E3 broadcasts again ^^

#9 Posted by animathias (1157 posts) -

Jeff talked about it briefly in one of his Jar Time videos. He said they were behind schedule (like a month ago,) but that we could expect roughly the same thing as last year.

Personally, I'm hoping for the same thing as last year, where they record the actual meat of the deliberations. I remember Ryan saying it couldn't have been entertaining, but he was absolutely wrong (in my case.) I found it entertaining and insightful.

#10 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Pazy said:

you can always listen to the E3 broadcasts again ^^

I actually have been, for some reason I kept the first couple Bombcasts and the first years E3 podcasts in case I run out of new stuff while Im out. Its very wierd listenting to them since they are discussing what a game will be like, getting it wrong as well sometimes, when Ive played and beaten the sequel to it. Its quite interesting.

#11 Posted by C0V3RT (1336 posts) -

I think on twitter, one of them said something along the lines of going into the weekend, they still hadn't decided on a game. My guess is it came down to a handful of games, they're going to take the weekend to play the finalists that they haven't spent a ton of time with, or revisit them to validate their arguments, and wrap it up Monday.

#12 Posted by DeF (4775 posts) -

I bet everyone knows the easy answer is Skyrim but then someone brings up all the crazy shit you can do in Saints Row that you don't see anywhere and then someone brings up the puzzles and writing in Portal and then someone says how Batman build on the Arkham Asylum foundation then Jeff tries to make a serious argument for Trackmania and Skylanders and everybody else just yells and throws slim jims at him.

#13 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Presence of Patrick should change the dynamics of the discussions this year, as 2 v 2 arguments are no more a possibility.

#14 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

I think I am the only one that actually hates the GOTY podcasts. To me the E3 ones are the best.

#15 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

The GOTY podcasts are great for me in particular because my crummy job is a lot more fun with a podcast in one ear all night - but many of my usual shows take a week off, so I'm low on content the week of Xmas/New Years.

#16 Posted by elcalavera (341 posts) -

@buzz_killington said:

Presence of Patrick should change the dynamics of the discussions this year, as 2 v 2 arguments are no more a possibility.

Yes! No more deadlocks like Arkham Asylum v. Uncharted 2.

#17 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

Brad kicked some serious ass for Minerva's Den last year.

#18 Posted by Elyk247 (365 posts) -

@elcalavera said:

@buzz_killington said

That shit went on forever, but Ryan got them to make the right call in the end.

#19 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I like them, but I have to get a good nights sleep before listening and eat a good meal. Why? Because they can be crazy annoying, and I am prone to frequent headaches and migraines.

#20 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

I always remember the Uncharted 2/Batman convo so well. Amazing podcasts, those.

#21 Posted by doublestack (19 posts) -

I personally can't wait. They are my favorite podcasts of the year!

#22 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4513 posts) -

I just hope Brad doesn't pout when his choice loses this year.

Unless his choice is Saints Row. In that case, YO BRAD DAWG YOU MY HOMIE NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDER BRAH.

#23 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

I'm sure that's what they are going to do. Why wouldn't they?

This.

#24 Posted by g6065 (270 posts) -

Can't wait.

My dog loves it too, GOTY podcasts often result in more daily walks than any other time of the year.

#25 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -

It'd be silly not to make podcasts of the deliberations - if you're going to go through the effort of picking games for awards, you might as well make content while you're at it.

Jeff said on Twitter that they hadn't picked GOTY yet and were going to get back into it on Monday. I think last year they put all that stuff up between Christmas and New Year's .

#26 Posted by elcalavera (341 posts) -

@Elyk247 said:

@elcalavera said:

@buzz_killington said

That shit went on forever, but Ryan got them to make the right call in the end.

I see that by right, you mean wrong..

#27 Edited by handlas (2636 posts) -

is there no user GOTY this time either? Last year they had the "add to 2010 GOTY" sort of button on each game's page. Not that it really matters since Skyrim would win but I like looking at people's lists sometimes. Could make it yourself I guess but i thought they had a category last year.

#28 Posted by CountMacula (234 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

Brad kicked some serious ass for Minerva's Den last year.

He also got served in the best character choice last year (York vs John Marston).

#29 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

Judging by Jeff's tweets, I'm sure they'll be coming during the in between christmas-new years time like last year.

#30 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

It would be awesome if most of them chose Skyrim and during the debate they realized the game is broken and Bethesda has no excuse to release a game in that shape and then end up choosing something like Deus Ex: HR, The Witcher 2 or other great game we don't expect to win.

#31 Posted by Jugglerman (56 posts) -

Looking forward to these podcast, especially like the Bayonetta & Mordin.

#32 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I don't think its going to be that hard to listen to this year, last year was quite uncomfortable because Jeff really did not like Red Dead. This year there is really no game that one dude is like "Get that the fuck outta here"

#33 Posted by bkbroiler (1603 posts) -

This year there are so many good games I think it's going to be crazy! There seems to be at least 5 legitimate contenders for GOTY, and not just 2 or 3.

#34 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I'm absolutely STOKED. You spend a year listening to eight guys almost non-stop, you can't wait to hear them actually stack up the experience thoughtfully. Game of the Year is supremely sobering, for myself as much as everyone else.

Also, I love how everyone is underestimating how much these guys enjoyed Bastion and Portal 2. Skyrim and Saints Row are the obvious options, I think, as those games easily facilitate conversation. Patrick breaking a deadlock will help, but I don't think they'll allow it to go to a majority vote. Hell, look at Brad last year with Minerva's Den and the longest 65 minute filibuster ever; not only did everyone else agree with Vinny, but Jeff actively disagreed with Brad on the premise of "it's still BioShock 2."

#35 Posted by RobDaFunk (336 posts) -

The first GOTY Podcast normally goes up on the 27th December, should be the same this year I guess??

#36 Posted by DeF (4775 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I don't think its going to be that hard to listen to this year, last year was quite uncomfortable because Jeff really did not like Red Dead. This year there is really no game that one dude is like "Get that the fuck outta here"

Wait till Jeff brings up Skylanders :D

#37 Posted by Harkat (1099 posts) -

I'm hoping for a "best use of wobble bass" category.

#38 Posted by Mijati (875 posts) -

As long as they're unedited I don't care when they come out, although the sooner the better. They're awesome.

#39 Posted by chriscalla (66 posts) -

This will be my first time hearing the GOTY podcast series and, thanks to everyone reminiscing about years past in this forum post, I'm beyond excited to hear it.

#40 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

They've done it every year, so I imagine they will. It was the argument between MGS4 and GTA IV that always stays in my memory, that was definitely the best podcast I've ever listened to.

Brad should have hold his ground. MGS4 was the real GotY.

#41 Posted by Drebin_893 (2891 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

@Drebin_893 said:

Fuck yes he should've, he didn't deserve to lose that fight.

#42 Posted by Harkat (1099 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

@AuthenticM said:

@Drebin_893 said:

Brad should hold his ground on everything, really.

#43 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

@Drebin_893 said:

LOL that game didn't deserve shit.

#44 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

Why would they not? A stupid thread

#45 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I'm curious to see how LA Noire will be viewed. The staff seemed to really like it out of the gate, but now that they've had time to let it soak in, I hope they mange to be more critical of the game. That's the only potential major disagreement I can foresee between my opinions and theirs.

#46 Posted by Animasta (14632 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

@AuthenticM said:

@Drebin_893 said:

LOL that game didn't deserve shit.

both of those games were kinda bad in my opinion!

2008 GOTY is persona 4

#47 Posted by TheHT (10787 posts) -

@Harkat said:

@Drebin_893 said:

@AuthenticM said:

@Drebin_893 said:

Brad should hold his ground on everything, really.

Well, except for that Deadly Premonition stuff.

#48 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

Kind of interesting how it seems to get personal...

I've always been a big fan of Brad's but his behavior on the podcast last year is not something I would encourage.

#49 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@Turtlemayor333 said:

Kind of interesting how it seems to get personal...

I've always been a big fan of Brad's but his behavior on the podcast last year is not something I would encourage.

What did he do last year? I don't recall.

#50 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

So when are they putting them up?

It should be up by now since its a recap tomorrow?