#151  Edited By Noodles
doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#152  Edited By doomed

No mention of Kirby's Epic Yarn for best co-op. Argh!

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#153  Edited By donutfever
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#154  Edited By Gerhabio

Agent Francis York Morgan should have won as best character... That was perfect for him! There is no justice...
If Deadly Premonition doesn't win something I'm gonna kill myself!

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#155  Edited By donutfever
@G3RHRT said:
" Agent Francis York Morgan should have won as best character... That was perfect for him! There is no justice...
If Deadly Premonition doesn't win something I'm gonna kill myself! "
Please don't.
BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#156  Edited By BRNK

As annoying as it is to listen to an hour of circular arguments, I still credit Brad for having a solid and well formed argument in favor of his choice. I totally love Jeff, but god damn if he isn't being a dismissive asshole in these GOTY deliberations. I'm sorry, but saying "Playing the game the way you did is for fucking crazy people." in that deep voice is not a well reasoned argument. 

Knowing that these were all recorded in one day-long marathon has me seriously considering skipping the rest of them.

Splatoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#157  Edited By Splatoon

Entertaining discussion as usual, and while some of the arguments seem to go on a bit, it's interesting to unearth some of the aspects of these game that don't get covered in the reviews. Hard to comment on opinions because, well, opinions,  but I was a little disappointed Guardian of Light got glossed over in the co-op discussion. I love Reach, beat the campaign on legendary, got up to Lt. Colonel, the whole nine yards, but as good as that game was, its co-op was little more than shooting stuff next to your friends. Guardian may not be as good a game, but the co-op is actually integral to the experience, and there's a lot of fun puzzle solving that requires you to work in tandem. Not brokenhearted certainly, but I wish they'd delved into that category a bit more.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#158  Edited By Gerhabio
@DonutFever said:
" @G3RHRT said:
" Agent Francis York Morgan should have won as best character... That was perfect for him! There is no justice...
Please don't. "
hold me
papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#159  Edited By papercut
@Milkman: Welcome to the real world. Blockbusters beat Indy Darlings and babies get there candy stolen all the time. 
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#160  Edited By DystopiaX
@DonutFever said:
" @G3RHRT said:
Please don't. "
Seriously, I don't want you to die. 
Maybe if there was a "worst game I actually played all the way through" category
lowkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#161  Edited By lowkey

it's crazy that 2 out of 4 of giantbomb thinks Limbo is the download only game of the year and it ended up fourth.  I personally didn't enjoy Limbo but it's still nuts.
luciobar1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By luciobar1980

No mention of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for best-looking game??

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#163  Edited By JMartNWA

For Most Improved Franchise... I was fine with NFS (as long as we were comparing it to Shift)... I think overlooked in that category was NBA 2K11... which blew people's doors off and revamped the entire focus of the game with the Jordan career milestones path and sales were through the roof, also inadvertently caused the death of NBA Elite 11.  The three choices were good I thought, but this one is definitely in my 1 or 2 slot with NFS.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#164  Edited By sixghost
@BRNK said:
" As annoying as it is to listen to an hour of circular arguments, I still credit Brad for having a solid and well formed argument in favor of his choice. I totally love Jeff, but god damn if he isn't being a dismissive asshole in these GOTY deliberations. I'm sorry, but saying "Playing the game the way you did is for fucking crazy people." in that deep voice is not a well reasoned argument.   Knowing that these were all recorded in one day-long marathon has me seriously considering skipping the rest of them. "
Agreed. He usually seems to defer to Ryan/Jeff in stuff like this. It gives me hope he might just pull through for SC2 in GOTY.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@JMartNWA said:
" I think overlooked in that category was NBA 2K11 "
A proper sports game being acknowledged by giantbomb? Not gonna happen. They simply don't exist in the Jeffy Davismaker universe.
stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#166  Edited By stephengotlost

I love the Bombcast to pieces, but the hour-long discussion on Minerva's Den vs Lair of the Shadow Broker was the least entertaining content the crew has probably ever produced. I still listened to the whole thing, though. It's a Bombcast completionist thing....

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By sixghost
@stephengotlost said:
" I love the Bombcast to pieces, but the hour-long discussion on Minerva's Den vs Lair of the Shadow Broker was the least entertaining content the crew has probably ever produced. I still listened to the whole thing, though. It's a Bombcast completionist thing.... "
Agreed. I think it mostly was because only Vinny and Brad had actually played both of the DLCs, so Jeff and Ryan really had nothing interesting to add after Brad and Vinny weren't able to sway each other. Two guys can only carry a debate so far.
Harmonican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Harmonican

Man, this thread baffles the hell out of me. People sure can make it sound like the sky's coming down for just about everything. I know this is how it works, especially on the internet, but still... crazy! 

And I think some people really need to remind themselves that  these podcast are actually them taping their deliberations. You are listening to a process more than an entertainment product here. However I for one think the GotY podcast are generally  the best all year (and the bickering is great). 

(Oh, and I can't stop myself from saying that John Marston is barely above the dude from GTA III in terms of interesting characters. And that even though Red Dead on paper is the game of my dreams it's still lacking in so many areas. 

One more thing, fanboys, goddamn...
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#169  Edited By Artie

I just want to say about people saying "Jeff always gets his way" 

I think this is blown out a little and I'm only defending this because Giant Bomb is very much about everyone's opinion and I'm pretty sure they'd hate it as much as I would if they were identified as "JEFF GERSTMANN AND OTHERS THE WEBSITE."  

Each guy fights for something but can be swayed by the other hosts. Look at Best DLC add on, Brad fought for his pick real hard and it won. Same with the GOTY for the past two years. Two people on each side fought real hard for MGS/GTA or Batman/Uncharted and even though they only pick one game both sides end up seeing the other sides argument. I just remember Ryan saying "I think I'm coming around on the GTA4 GOTY idea" and jeff saying "I'm kind of doing the same for MGS4 as well." This was near the end after exhaustive arguing. Same thing happened last year. 

The reason why a lot of these deliberations are not incredible exciting is because the four of them want to have the award but don't feel super strongly about any of them. That's why Best Wii game was like "whatever" and why the GOTY parts are the best since its the category they'll fight to the death over. 

Also. Best Multiplatform is totally going to be the early GOTY discussion. Cause Super Mario Galaxy 2, Halo Reach and whatever Ps3 wins ain't going to beat Red Dead or Mass Effect 2 which I assume will be the big argument of this year.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By CptBedlam
@Harmonican said:

"And the  "Mexico-song" (I saw someone mentioning it) is not an original song and therefore not eligible for that category.) "

How is that not an original song? Gonzales composed it for RDR and you can't get it on any of his albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Gonz%C3%A1lez#Other_contributions
Harmonican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Harmonican
@CptBedlam:
He did? My bad then.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By CptBedlam
@Artie said:
"Best Multiplatform is totally going to be the early GOTY discussion. Cause Super Mario Galaxy 2, Halo Reach and whatever Ps3 wins ain't going to beat Red Dead or Mass Effect 2 which I assume will be the big argument of this year. "
Red Dead will definitely not by part of the big argument. Jeff is gonna eliminate it early because he doesn't like it. It's going to be Bayonetta vs ME2 and ME2 wins.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#173  Edited By Shadow

Keeping in mind that Bayonetta is my game of the year, I still think best new character should have gone to Marston

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Aska

I wish Brad had beaten Layton and the Unwound Future, if he had I feel he would have pushed a lot harder on it for DS game of the year, and maybe even Best Story.  No way it would have beaten out Red Dead or Mass Effect, but that game really touched me and almost anyone who plays it to the end.  It would have been cool for one of the four to have seen that game to the end.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Dany
 @Artie said:
" I just want to say about people saying "Jeff always gets his way"  I think this is blown out a little and I'm only defending this because Giant Bomb is very much about everyone's opinion and I'm pretty sure they'd hate it as much as I would if they were identified as "JEFF GERSTMANN AND OTHERS THE WEBSITE."   Each guy fights for something but can be swayed by the other hosts. Look at Best DLC add on, Brad fought for his pick real hard and it won. Same with the GOTY for the past two years. Two people on each side fought real hard for MGS/GTA or Batman/Uncharted and even though they only pick one game both sides end up seeing the other sides argument. I just remember Ryan saying "I think I'm coming around on the GTA4 GOTY idea" and jeff saying "I'm kind of doing the same for MGS4 as well." This was near the end after exhaustive arguing. Same thing happened last year.  The reason why a lot of these deliberations are not incredible exciting is because the four of them want to have the award but don't feel super strongly about any of them. That's why Best Wii game was like "whatever" and why the GOTY parts are the best since its the category they'll fight to the death over.   Also. Best Multiplatform is totally going to be the early GOTY discussion. Cause Super Mario Galaxy 2, Halo Reach and whatever Ps3 wins ain't going to beat Red Dead or Mass Effect 2 which I assume will be the big argument of this year. "
 I agree, all this shit about Jeff is getting his way because he is Jeff is all bullshit, some of us may see them in some hierarchy but internally I seriously doubt they do.
Commy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Commy

Some opinions got trampled on, and I think Ryan must have been pretty over it, he usually voices his opinion far more enthusiastically. Maybe he just didn't want to get involved because it was getting  unnecessarily  heated? 

Eitherway, I think people were more emotionally involved than they probably should have been, but that's part of why I love Giantbomb. It's something real, dudes who actually give a fuck about video games. That being said, I don't think people need to start defending any of the crew because I'm willing to bet they've all gotten over the arguments, so you probably should too.

Deep breaths

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#177  Edited By Seroth

The arguments are eh. They should be expected, though! They always "joke" about how these awards every year make them hate each other, but there's apparently some truth to that. 

Previously, they haven't been as open with us on their deliberations. In last year's podcasts, they had the winners already decided on the smaller categories before they even recorded the podcasts, and just listed the nominees and winners off. So for all we know, they might have also had these exact kind of crazy heated debates for last year's awards, but we weren't allowed to sit in for those. This time they're taking us through the actual conversations and arguments for each and every category, which is very interesting stuff, and I hope they continue with it next year, or hell, maybe go even bigger somehow.

As for them commenting on games they never played...that should also be expected. Giant Bomb was founded on the idea that they would only cover the games that interested them. But yes, they should be more upfront about the fact that they never played them and somehow take that into consideration... 

...I still don't like Brad instantly dismissing anything related to Deadly Premonition, but that's just 'cause I love that game so much. :)

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#178  Edited By l4wd0g

I enjoy a lot of different games than the GiantBomb crew, but they justify there choices well. Ultimately it comes down to the fact that it's just an opinion.

Will this really make a difference in a month, let alone 5 or more years? They are justnvideo games. Play them and enjoy them.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#179  Edited By JonathanMoore

It annoys me that Jeff was so ready to just completely forget Sonic 4 in the Downloadable Games ting. Like for real, it's a good game. I realize it shouldn't be in the best of, but the way he kind of went about it said to anyone that he was just ignorantly ignoring it. By all means, if he actually did play the whole thing, then tell me and I'll apologize, but eh...

OnlyWonderBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By OnlyWonderBoy

I really like the fact that these are raw arguments. On other podcasts, I always hear about how heated the game of the year deliberations get, but you ever get to hear them. And of course, with such a small staff, they can't play everything. They're just doing the best what what they have and I'd argue that it's pretty entertaining. 

That said, I was really surprised how much I disagreed with Brad. Man that Shadow Broker/Minerva's Den discussion was intense.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#181  Edited By meteora

You people care too much. Just enjoy the Bombcast for what its worth. Just because their game picks are different from yours, doesn't mean you have to be butthurt.