Guns' N Roses and Axel Roses Genius (?)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

So, as usual, on the latest Bombcast, Dan said some inflammatory shit. While there might be many interpretations of what that may be, to me the most ridiculous of the bunch was how Axel Rose (of Guns' N Roses) was a "genius".

Let me preface this with saying I love "classic" rock. My taste in music from 5-13 years old is basically the same as Dan's current taste--I liked the Who a hell of a lot more than him though. So I basically jut listened to older rock music, until I had really great people turn me onto modern rock, hip hop, and punk. But up until that point I was all AC/DC, Zeppelin, and some more folk/obscure stuff thanks to my dad's taste.

To me the 80's were the epitome of shitty rock--they still are, though I've come around on a lot of other music from then. But, GNR was always the light at the end of that glittery tunnel. They were the legit band of that era to me. They were never Zeppelin, Who, or Hendrix level though (to Dan they obviously are).

So after hearing Dan talk them up so much, and Jeff trying to put them in, his idea of, their place, on the last podcast, I thought I should go back and listen to some of their stuff.

At first I wanted to listen to all of the main entries in their catalogue: Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion 1 & 2, and Chinese Democracy. But this idea soon became tiresome and I jsut started skipping around their catalogue, from unknown to known as a palette cleanser. And here are some thoughts:

Appetite is still a great album and in the top debut albums ever. They combined the MTV look of their time with hard rock chops that a lot of their contemporaries sold for big budget music videos. It's by far their strongest effort, and for obvious reasons when you get into the personal lives/band dynamics.

Now at this point in their timeline you would need to get into Axel being...well a flake and a shitty band member, yes it did start this early. There are a bunch of ways I could relate this to issues found on their records and their overall chemistry, but I really don't want to because it really just comes down to Axel being a pre-modonna.

So after an EP they released their first full length album, which happened to be a double album. And as Jeff so perfectly pointed put on the podcast, like most double albums, it should have been one album.

The Use Your Illusion albums are my least familiar GNR records, I was mostly an Appetite man. I remembered liking 1 better than 2, but I couldn't name which song came off of which. I know this would sound like blasphemy to Dan, but I was born 1 year after the albums release and most people my age only know the singles off the first record because everything after that was much too bloated for classic rock radio in the 21st century.

So here's my first issue with the idea of Guns' N Roses, and more Axel Rose, being considered genius. There only follow up, while two records, to their first album are way way worse. They are a pair of the biggest let downs in rock. They are bloated, like Jeff said, but they are also a much softer arena rock sound than their debut.

When GNR debuted they were a long awaited edge to the make up raddled, hair metal scene. But by the time they came out with their follow up, 4 years later, the music scene changed, and GNR tried to keep up with it while simultaneously keep their hair metal roots, which caused Slash's riffs to become tamer, his solos were still strong, imo. To be honest I just became tired of this post, I'm listening to Use Your Illusion 1 and it is very boring.

My point is the follow up to one of the greatest first albums ever is a 2 albums worth of fluff and an album worth of decent material (yes they could release the two albums in 3 parts=2 bad and 1 good).

Chinese Democracy is a mess of noise, whenever there is a moment of decent music a second later Axel adds one to three unnecessary layers to the song. While Buckethead is a more proficient guitarist, Slash knows how to make a more listenable riff, so doesn't that make him "better"?

None of Axle's lyrics are that impressive, and the only album--Chinese Democracy-- that he's made without Duff McKegan helping him is garbage, there's no reason thinking this guy is a genius, other than Dan exaggerating the idols from his childhood.

Sorry about this long post, and all it's shitty punctuation. I'm drunk and like music a lot. I will end with saying every time I stopped listening to GNR, I started listening to Graham Parker and the Rumor; They are a fantastic pub rock band with new wave influences.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I think the key here is to disregard all of Dan's opinions on everything.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

The Use Your Illusion albums are full of forgettable filler, and only the most hardcore of fans could really say otherwise, but some of their very best music is on those albums. Sure, Neither Slash nor Axl are geniuses, the word genius gets thrown about far too much, and anyways they both complimented each other perfectly and thats why Guns N Roses worked.

If you think UYI 1 is boring after the punch in the face opener that is Right Next Door to Hell I dunno what to say. Sure, the worst stuff on those albums is probably worse than anything on Chinese Democracy. Songs like The Garden with Alice Cooper, Don't Damn me, Civil War, Don't Cry/alt are as good as anything on Appetite. I love that album but it's not perfect.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What does it mean to be a genius? John Kennedy Toole only really wrote one book but it was spectacular and he might rightly be called a genius for it. Axel Rose didn't die like Toole did, but he lost "it" whatever "it" was and hasn't recovered it and probably never will (though it's not impossible; he's not dead yet.) But that one great work really was great, so does it matter what follows? Do you have to be great over an extended period to be a "genius?"

I don't think it really matters. In the right circumstance at the right time with the right collaborators he made something truly great. If you want to call that genius, fine. If you want to say it's not because he couldn't do it again? I think that's fine too.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

If Use Your Illusion was one album consisting of all the best tracks off the double album it would've been pretty amazing in my opinion - and still pretty long.

• Right Next Door to Hell
  • Live and Let Die
  • Don't Cry
  • Bad Obsession
  • Double Talkin Jive
  • November Rain
  • Garden of Eden
  • Coma
  • Civil War
  • Knockin on Heaven's Door
  • Breakdown (probably my fave GnR song of all)
  • Locomotive
  • Estranged
  • You Could Be Mine

"Genius" gets thrown around a lot, I wouldn't personally use that term, but I do think that the chemistry between Axl and Slash created some brilliant music that neither can seem to re-create without the other. Havin' Izzy hangin' around wasn't hurtin' em either.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

@professoress: After their discussion on UPF I went down a Rabbit hole reading years old forum posts on what songs would create the best single disc album. It turns out nobody agrees on what's best at all. I personally think Coma, Locomotive and Breakdown are some of their worst and most self indulgent shit. Now, Back Off Bitch... that's the best, most un-radio friendly single they ever made.

But hey, what do I know I'm endeared by the singing on So Fine, especially when he shouts out "C'mon geetar!"

I'd have

• Right Next Door to Hell
  • Live and Let Die
  • Back Off Bitch
  • Double Talkin Jive (that guitar bit at the end is faaantastic)
  • November Rain
  • The Garden
  • Don't Damn Me
  • Civil War
  • Yesterdays
  • Shotgun Blues
  • Estranged
  • So Fine
  • You Could Be Mine
  • Don't Cry (alt)
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

@gunstarred: To be honest I must be one of those hardcores because the more I run through the track list the less and less filler I'm seeing. Had a tough time leaving off So Fine and Yesterdays. "Ma friends, they always come through fer me, yeah!"

I'll admit Coma is kinda bad, but it was pretty fucked up weird back in the day. I think Breakdown has some of Axl's melodies and as a drummer Locomotive has to be there :)

...and now I'm gonna be listening to UYI all day.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just gonna say it. I think both Use Your Illusion albums aren't very good. And another thing.......I love Chinese Democracy. If I had to rank their releases I'd have to go;

Appetite, Chinese, Gnr Lies, UYI 2, UYI 1, The Spaghetti Incident

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

I think the key here is to disregard all of Dan's opinions on everything.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman

I'm not gonna disparage anyone for liking GNR but there is literally nothing "genius" about Axl Rose. He's a good to great, eccentric front man but genius is about the last word I would possibly use to describe him.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BisonHero

Axl Rose being a "genius" rock musician among other 80s rock acts is like saying I'd seem like a "genius" artist when compared to a bunch of neanderthals scratching pictures onto cave walls.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SomeguyJohnson

Axl Rose is a prima donna, not a genius. GnR had some good songs and even a great album just like Jeff said on UPF, but I always viewed them as worse than a band with just one album (like the Sex Pistols I guess?) that was good (maybe not the Sex Pistols...) because they released shitty albums too. To be fair, I always preferred metal to hard rock so I didn't listen to much GnR back in the day.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@milkman said:

I'm not gonna disparage anyone for liking GNR but there is literally nothing "genius" about Axl Rose. He's a good to great, eccentric front man but genius is about the last word I would possibly use to describe him.

Perfectly said.

GnR to me is a band that you would find when younger and fall in love with because you never heard "better" rock bands before.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Dan is also the same guy who says that Super Mario Sunshine is better than 64 and Terminator 3 is a good movie. In other words: he's said some silly things before.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uhtaree

At least Axle wants some reggae from time to time.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I think mainstream 80s rock is a cesspit. The only 80s rock music I actually enjoy was made by 70s artists whose careers continued into the following decade (Bowie, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello for example), or came from the alternative scene artists who would define the "90s sound" (Pixies, R.E.M., The Jesus and Mary Chain).

Some GNR tracks aren't bad, but the band as a whole is just not something I could ever get behind. Axel Rose is definitely not a genius. Based on what little I know of him, he's musically adept but possibly quite dim.