#1 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

Am i just crazy? It seems no one heard cortana say "I checked the database, they seem to call this guy the Didact" or something like that? (It wasn't during the cutscene but immediately after if I remember)

I don't really get how none of them were paying attention to that one line but I guess it is possible? Or was I just hallucinating?

Listening to them talk about how 343 fucked up and didn't realize that Cortana and the chief magically knew his name was really annoying me...

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5085 posts) -

Haven't played the game but that is a really poor way to introduce the MAIN antagonist's name in my opinion. Oh Chief, his name is Didact. What was that? I was shooting some bad dudes, whatever.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

It's not necessarily that Cortana and Master Chief knew his name that bothered me personally. It's more that they don't contextualize who he was and why he is important.

#4 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

It's not necessarily that Cortana and Master Chief knew his name that bothered me personally. It's more that they don't contextualize who he was and why he is important.

He took control of the AI's and started beating the shit out of my character then threatened the human race. I suppose that was important enough for me personally... By the end of the game I knew his general story from the cutscenes so I guess I just don't mind not knowing every minor detail like most...

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

@NickL said:

@JasonR86 said:

It's not necessarily that Cortana and Master Chief knew his name that bothered me personally. It's more that they don't contextualize who he was and why he is important.

He took control of the AI's and started beating the shit out of my character then threatened the human race. I suppose that was important enough for me personally... By the end of the game I knew his general story from the cutscenes so I guess I just don't mind not knowing every minor detail like most...

Eh. I mean he is important. Everyone in the game knew he was important. But I had to rely on Wikipedia to explain to me why he was important. If they want to wait to explain why he's important until it is slowly unveiled by the end of the game then make it clear to me that is going to happen by making it clear that everyone else is as confused as I am. The way they did it I didn't have faith that they would let me in on the joke at all.

#6 Edited by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

It's not necessarily that Cortana and Master Chief knew his name that bothered me personally. It's more that they don't contextualize who he was and why he is important.

Well at a very base level, even without contextualizing who he is in the mythology, the very notion of him being a Forerunner who is A) alive and B) wanting to kill you are both very important and easy to understand concepts to someone with even a very general understanding of Halo fiction.

#7 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

I missed that line the first time I played through but heard it going through again on legendary so I can understand how they would miss that line. Also it seems kinda like a throw away line to me.

#8 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@triple07 said:

I missed that line the first time I played through but heard it going through again on legendary so I can understand how they would miss that line. Also it seems kinda like a throw away line to me.

They actually did this with a shitload of lines in this game. Like, really important stuff. When I replayed, a lot of things were a bit more clear (But I still thought the story and storytelling was god awful overall)

Like for the entire game I was wondering why the covenant were even there, and why no one seemed to care. It was like they just put them there because it's a halo game. When I replayed, there's a line said during explosions by Cortana that says "These covenant have been waiting at Requiem for 3 years.. it hasn't opened until we arrived" (paraphrased). Still doesn't explain much but it makes me wonder how much else I missed.

#9 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

@triple07 said:

I missed that line the first time I played through but heard it going through again on legendary so I can understand how they would miss that line. Also it seems kinda like a throw away line to me.

They actually did this with a shitload of lines in this game. Like, really important stuff. When I replayed, a lot of things were a bit more clear (But I still thought the story and storytelling was god awful overall)

Like for the entire game I was wondering why the covenant were even there, and why no one seemed to care. It was like they just put them there because it's a halo game. When I replayed, there's a line said during explosions by Cortana that says "These covenant have been waiting at Requiem for 3 years.. it hasn't opened until we arrived" (paraphrased). Still doesn't explain much but it makes me wonder how much else I missed.

The Halo games have always kind of been notorious for really important, story-relavent dialogue occurring from within gameplay. On the one hand, it's kind of nice to not have story exposition always occur withint a neat and tidy cutscene, but rather whilst other things are happening. But on the other hand, that just leads to a lot of scenarios where you missed something because you were too busy mowing down an alien with your assault rifle to hear Cortana tell you that important bit of story.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel said:

@JasonR86 said:

It's not necessarily that Cortana and Master Chief knew his name that bothered me personally. It's more that they don't contextualize who he was and why he is important.

Well at a very base level, even without contextualizing who he is in the mythology, the very notion of him being a Forerunner who is A) alive and B) wanting to kill you are both very important and easy to understand concepts to someone with even a very general understanding of Halo fiction.

I had no idea who a Forerunner was. I have beaten every Halo game except 2 and I still had no idea until I went to Wikipedia. Maybe that's my fault. But I can only hold the fiction of so many games in my memory. Plus, what about the rest of the people who have never played a Halo game until 4? One way or another they fucked up not explaining more about the enemy.

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Doesn't master chief say his name first?