• 108 results
#51 Posted by planetary (341 posts) -

I still listen. Reactions to the last month or so:

- Ryan's hosting chops are sorely missed. Jeff puts on a brave face, but I think he's still grieving pretty hard. ...Though who the hell knows; I'm just some dude on the internet.
- But Jeff is looser, and runs a looser show, and I like it. Though I think I prefer Jeff in the "color commentary" seat better. Gives him more stuff to react to and rant about.
- I get the feeling that there's a good chance of the vintage (2005-2006) Hotspot vibe coming back, doubly so with new consoles coming out -- just like in those days. We seem to be getting less "meta-analyst" discussion of news and more "guys who like video games" discussion of news -- which I *really* like. If we get voicemails (instead of, or in addition to, emails), then I will be sold that this is where Jeff is taking the show.
- I like Drew a lot, I enjoyed Alex being in town, and I'm pleased that Patrick is off the show.

#52 Edited by Armoes (63 posts) -

I love the bombcast. Still do.

That said, I found the Vinnie / Ryan chemistry to be the strongest. I miss hearing that guy.

These podcasts aren't going to listen to themselves.

#53 Posted by myketuna (1644 posts) -

I still listen. Reactions to the last month or so:

- Ryan's hosting chops are sorely missed. Jeff puts on a brave face, but I think he's still grieving pretty hard. ...Though who the hell knows; I'm just some dude on the internet.

- But Jeff is looser, and runs a looser show, and I like it. Though I think I prefer Jeff in the "color commentary" seat better. Gives him more stuff to react to and rant about.

- I get the feeling that there's a good chance of the vintage (2005-2006) Hotspot vibe coming back, doubly so with new consoles coming out -- just like in those days. We seem to be getting less "meta-analyst" discussion of news and more "guys who like video games" discussion of news -- which I *really* like. If we get voicemails (instead of, or in addition to, emails), then I will be sold that this is where Jeff is taking the show.

- I like Drew a lot, I enjoyed Alex being in town, and I'm pleased that Patrick is off the show.

Agree with these points you made. Except I miss Patrick too. I don't vibe with his taste in games sometimes, but it's good to have a myriad of voices on the show.

#54 Edited by tysonwritesel (90 posts) -

I'm bummed no disrespect but the last one I skipped through. It's just not the same without Ry.

#55 Edited by Fearbeard (822 posts) -

I was the opposite. I couldn't wait to see what the guys did. The one they did in memorial of him was very cathartic and very helpful. It was tough getting past the first 30 seconds though.

Anyways, the podcasts are still solid. They don't quite have the same energy, but they are as meandering as they've been all year which would have bugged me if there were actually many games to talk about.

#56 Posted by TehBuLL (588 posts) -

They just don't have anyone that has the balls to say "THIS DISCUSSION IS OVER" like Ryan would. They linger. Ryan knew his audience better than any other podcast host I've ever heard. Sure it's fun to be and jokey but he applied the 'you aren't heard from before I say your name' rule better than everyone. Nowadays they start the show sloppy which only means the rest of it is sloppy. Sloppy is fun...but not for 2-3hours.

#57 Edited by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

For me the podcast has been the dose of normalcy I need to feel like things are still going to be okay for Giant Bomb going forward.

#58 Posted by Subbeh (90 posts) -

I've been trying and I'll continue to try but I just can't listen to it at the moment. Always looked forward to getting the new bombcast every week but without Ryan I'm really having a hard time getting into the podcast :( .

Adding Drew does seem like a good move but without Ryan and Patrick not being on any more I really feel like the bombcast needs a new voice/energy.

#59 Edited by Brenderous (1096 posts) -

I'll take the bombcast in whatever form I can get it in.

#60 Posted by probablytuna (3521 posts) -

I recently found that listening to the Bombcast while sleeping was very therapeutic...

#61 Posted by razielrioux (125 posts) -

@360fov: I hear ya man, I didn't want to listen either, but I listened to the tribute episode, and hearing the guys laugh made it much easier. Give it a shot! I know Ryan would want you to!

#62 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Drew is a bit quiet but otherwise I haven't really noticed much difference with the podcast.

#63 Posted by Miyuki (176 posts) -

I still listen. It is a little weird, but I appreciate everyone carrying on!

#64 Posted by Hadoken101 (693 posts) -

It's still a great show to listen to and honestly a decent bit of the slowness can be attributed to the fact that we've been in the horrible summer drought where nothing really happens in games. I'm sure things will pick up more in the coming weeks and especially when new consoles launch.

#65 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

We all miss Ryan to a certain extent. It's hard, but at some point you just gotta soldier through it and keep going forward. I actually am listening to @zanzibarbreeze's This Years for the Bombcast and HotSpot, and yeah it sometimes gets to me that he's gone, and I'll never hear that voice again in a brand new context, but at the same time, it's nice that he's been immortalized in this way. His humor and personality will live on forever as long as the internet exists.

Oh god, I just realized how corny I sound, but I just could not give less of a fuck. Miss you, Ryan. <3

#67 Posted by OurSin_360 (822 posts) -

Definitely listen to the ryan tribute one, and then just get back into it. First one after that was a bit short, then they started getting back to "normal" as far as length etc.

It's definitely different but it's still good, it's more of the jeff (talking randomly before the intro) type of show than it was before.

#68 Edited by Korolev (1694 posts) -

It ain't the same without Ryan - but it's still the best podcast in the world. Yes, we won't ever have quite the same moments of hilarity without him, and the podcast is a lot less structured without him (they spent like, 30 to 40 minutes talking about action figurines in one podcast, if I recall) but Vinny, Jeff, Brad and now Drew put on a damn good podcast.

#69 Edited by DonutFever (3546 posts) -

It's still amazing, and Drew has been pretty great, even though I'm not interested in the simulation games he's been talking about. That America's Army discussion was pretty great.

#70 Edited by GreggD (4475 posts) -

It's still amazing, and Drew has been pretty great, even though I'm not interested in the simulation games he's been talking about. That America's Army discussion was pretty great.

Whatever, camper tactician.

#71 Posted by Korolev (1694 posts) -

It ain't the same without Ryan - but it's still the best podcast in the world. Yes, we won't ever have quite the same moments of hilarity without him, and the podcast is a lot less structured without him (they spent like, 30 to 40 minutes talking about action figurines in one podcast, if I recall) but Vinny, Jeff, Brad and now Drew put on a damn good podcast.

#72 Edited by Iodine (539 posts) -

@korolev said:

Transformers are not action figures, they are spiritual totems

#73 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

@tehbull said: They just don't have anyone that has the balls to say "THIS DISCUSSION IS OVER" like Ryan would. They linger. Ryan knew his audience better than any other podcast host I've ever heard. Sure it's fun to be and jokey but he applied the 'you aren't heard from before I say your name' rule better than everyone. Nowadays they start the show sloppy which only means the rest of it is sloppy. Sloppy is fun...but not for 2-3hours.

I might be dating myself severely, but there is certainly a bit of "Van Halen without David Lee Roth" going on on the podcast - the center is gone and the personalities that have developed around it are adjusting to fill in. The post-Ryan era has certainly made me appreciate Ryan's mastery, his energy - his Bomb. Jeff is searching for the new Bomb and I am sure he will find it, it just might be too soon to hand the rudder to anyone new. Just imagine what grief is gonna pour onto the "substitute Ryan"!

#74 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2114 posts) -

@iodine said:

@korolev said:

Transformers are not action figures, they are spiritual totems

As are G.I. Joes.

Also they once talked about pizza for 30 to 40 minutes, so thats not a new thing. Those conversations are part of what makes the Bombcast so great.

#75 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

I look forward to each and every Tuesday just like I did prior to Ryan's death. The first few episodes after are a bit weird, but they were still absolutely hilarious. Still love the Bombcast and all the guys.

#76 Posted by Fattony12000 (6940 posts) -

Nothing.

Stops.

The.

Bombcast.

#77 Posted by Fattony12000 (6940 posts) -

Nothing.

Stops.

The.

Bombcast.

#78 Posted by Nilazz (606 posts) -
#79 Posted by Slag (3897 posts) -

I think Ryan would want people to still listen

#80 Posted by hollitz (1387 posts) -

It's definitely still one of my favorite podcasts--and personally, I think it's the only gaming one worth listening to--but not having Ryan around has definitely taken a toll on the bombcast. I don't mean this as a dig at the guys, more as a props to Ryan.

I know everyone is doing their best and still reeling from the loss.

#81 Posted by TooSweet (372 posts) -

Agreed with some who said Ryan would want the show to go on. That being said it was a bit rough at first but it's been improving and slowly getting into it's own groove. I like Drew on the show. Still miss Ryan and Patrick on my Bombcast.

#82 Posted by Vrikk (882 posts) -

As others have said, Ryan's absence is very felt. He was great at keeping things moving, tying jokes together, and all around just chugging the 3-hour beast along.

Without him there, it's easy to see and hear that the group is trying to pick up the remains and put it back together. They will get it done, but they are still sad and a bit confused... and it shows. They hint often that they have been going out of their way to stay active, engaged, and otherwise doing things differently in both their professional and personal life because of how big of a hole Ryan left. I think they are afraid to be alone with their thoughts so they're trying things differently to stay away from it. I'm hoping they can get past it since it will become too much if they keep harping on it, but... I'd understand. Ryan was a great guy. I don't know how I'd be in their shoes.

RIP Taswell.

#83 Posted by Brodehouse (9515 posts) -

To be honest, I really don't engage with any Giant Bomb content anymore. I tried listening to a few podcasts, but I usually quit within 50 minutes or so, and I haven't listened to any in 5-6 weeks. I don't want Unpro Fridays and I don't watch most QLs. I didn't react very strongly at the time, but... he's left a profound hole that other Giant Bomb content just isn't filling.

#84 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

To be honest, I really don't engage with any Giant Bomb content anymore. I tried listening to a few podcasts, but I usually quit within 50 minutes or so, and I haven't listened to any in 5-6 weeks. I don't want Unpro Fridays and I don't watch most QLs. I didn't react very strongly at the time, but... he's left a profound hole that other Giant Bomb content just isn't filling.

Ever since Ryan died, there's been more Brad, and, how do I put this, Brad annoys the hell out of me.

#85 Posted by Slag (3897 posts) -

I kinda know what you mean, I still watch/listen but he's definitely missed on a professional level as well as the obvious personal impact.

Ryan was a masterful host and story teller in his way, He made everybody around him better/more entertaining. He could take a total non-entity like a John Drake and create a compelling character out of him for the audience. And he did that for everybody on the staff, gave them opportunities to cut loose. The ultimate wing man. setup guy, straight man etc. Ryan seemed like he could literally talk about anything and make it seem exciting/amusing. There rarely was dead air, odd drops when he was involved. He kept the conversation poppin'.

Jeff is trying to do that now as best as he can, but I think his natural talents are more suited to his old conversational role (the wild card). I'm not sure anybody on the current staff has that level of ability Ryan had. Which is not a discredit to Jeff, but rather a nod to how special Ryan was.

#86 Edited by mrfluke (5043 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Ever since Ryan died, there's been more Brad, and, how do I put this, Brad annoys the hell out of me.

im with you on that one, Brad is easily the most Jaded one of the entire team, and just loves to pile on the single minded bitching about a game or a subject,

but vinny, jeff, drew, and alex and alexis are still rock solid and is why ill still stick around on GB,

and as much as patrick can be annoying at times, i do like spookin with scoopz a lot.

#87 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

I've tried to listen to it, but it's rather unorganized. When it comes down to it, Jeff runs a much different podcast from what Ryan ran. It's just a little too odd for me at times.

It just makes me realize how fucking good Ryan was at that shit, how there's an art to MC'ing that shit. I think Jeff does fine for what it is, but I just can't listen for long because it all just turns into a muddled string of odd-beat humor with no focus.

#88 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (448 posts) -

podcast seems fine to me. it's definitely different now, of course, but i still like it just the same.

#89 Edited by Superkenon (1348 posts) -

I feel like I'd be way more depressed if I quit viewing/listening to their content. Even though that void will always be there, it's nice (perhaps therapeutic, even) to hear the guys keep on doing what they do, and having a good time in spite of it all.

I'm a random jerk with no tangible connection to any of this, and I still get profoundly sad. Can't imagine being in their shoes. Least I can do is continue to support and enjoy them. It sounds hecka corny, but they've certainly done a lot for me.

#90 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@bestusernameever said:

@brodehouse said:

im with you on that one, Brad is easily the most Jaded one of the entire team, and just loves to pile on the single minded bitching about a game or a subject,

but vinny, jeff, drew, and alex and alexis are still rock solid and is why ill still stick around on GB,

and as much as patrick can be annoying at times, i do like spookin with scoopz a lot.

100% agreed. I used to like Patrick a lot, but found it grating when it was just him on the videos. Now he's great, not sure what changed, but his worth playing is a really good series, and some of his solo videos are pretty entertaining. And yes, Brad is absolutely jaded, and rarely agrees with people immediately, he'll say something like "that's not entirely true", and within the next 10 minutes slowly admit the person was absolutely correct. Plus, he just uses such over flowery language, like he's bragging in some strange way by calling beers libations or 'Personal computer enclosures' for PC cases. He's just pretentious sludge.

#91 Edited by Harkat (1099 posts) -

^Don't understand the Brad-hate at all, the man is good at articulating himself and he balances out the more zany stuff from Jeff and Vinny nicely.

#92 Posted by sarahsdad (1074 posts) -

It might be rose colored glasses, but I wish Rich G would send Jeff his cliff notes on running a show; he seemed to have that same ability Ryan did of knowing when to wrap something up, and move on to another topic.

#93 Posted by Humanity (8705 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I've tried to listen to it, but it's rather unorganized. When it comes down to it, Jeff runs a much different podcast from what Ryan ran. It's just a little too odd for me at times.

It just makes me realize how fucking good Ryan was at that shit, how there's an art to MC'ing that shit. I think Jeff does fine for what it is, but I just can't listen for long because it all just turns into a muddled string of odd-beat humor with no focus.

Ehh there were plenty of times in the past when Ryan would let a conversation about some really San Francisco specific or early 80's specific stuff drag on for way too long. It happened then and it happens now, not much has changed. I just miss the way Ryan could really highlight a good joke or set something up - the man had a way with humor thats for sure.

#94 Posted by Humanity (8705 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Ehh there were plenty of times in the past when Ryan would let a conversation about some really San Francisco specific or early 80's specific stuff drag on for way too long. It happened then and it happens now, not much has changed. I just miss the way Ryan could really highlight a good joke or set something up - the man had a way with humor thats for sure.

#95 Posted by LandonRobinson (94 posts) -

I know where you're coming from, 100%. It was so, so rough, especially with that first podcast dedicated to Ryan. But that very podcast, in fact, actually made me really anticipate the coming episodes, just because of how well and eloquently the crew handled it. They were funny, they were sentimental, and they were genuine about Ryan -- and the love around it all made it such a better, heartwarming experience than it could have been.

So yeah, definitely give it a shot again sometime. I think you'll be glad you did.

#96 Edited by FastRedPonyCar (30 posts) -

I still think it's the best gaming podcast out there. Despite Ryan's absence, the chemistry and banter between the guys is still there and that's what makes the bombcast enjoyable to listen to.

#97 Posted by MarkDarkness (49 posts) -

I'm not saying it's not good anymnore, it is, but I miss Ryan a lot. He had a way of leading the show that was absurdly smooth, and had a timing thar is simply impossible to reproduce.

I respect Jeff for doing away with any attempt at impersonating him, and creating his own unique vibe, but... it's just not the same. There's something missing, and I know what it is.

Never gonna stop listening to the 'cast, tho...

#98 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

I just started getting back into it. Ryan not being there is so sad, but it's still good.

#99 Edited by serverfull (56 posts) -

Personally I have enjoyed it more as of the last month then before. I like that they don't have someone to get them on topic because the best shows have always been the rambling crazy ones. Nothing against Ryan though. His lose was tragic for his family and friends. So I miss him because I know he was such a great guy even though for me, I enjoy the new layout better.

#100 Posted by HatKing (5764 posts) -

It's like a different show now, but it's still fantastic and still totally funny. I'm not sure how to explain it. Jeff just hosts it differently. I mean, it's not dissimilar from how Unprofessional Fridays went before and after his passing. It's not better or worse, just different. If you enjoy listening to the people on it, you'll probably still love it. And Drew brings a lot to the table. It's weird thinking back that Drew wasn't a regular member of the show.