• 60 results
#1 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

So basically, I haven't listened to the Bombcast since the special Ryan... wake? Tribute? That incredibly awkward and emotional episode. It wasn't a conscious thing so much as I just dropped off and unplugged from garmz jurnalizm. Out of curiosity, has the podcast gotten weirder and more off topic since? I ask because the episodes where Jeff and company just shoot the shit about odd things (number stations) or tell hilarious life stories (Chris with the white car) were the best and I miss them. I don't however want to listen to a games podcast. I'm just not interested in any in-depth games discussion anymore.

So with that criteria, is it worth going back at all, or does anyone have a specific week to start?

#2 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

It's totally worth going back. It's still as rambly as ever, but nowadays it doesn't feel like they're trying so hard. It's definitely less structured and more tangent-filled than before Ryan's passing, so if you're still looking for a bunch of dudes talking there's plenty of that.

#3 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4443 posts) -

The podcast definitely goes off on random segments and isn't as strictly games focused as it has been in the past. The game talk is there, but so is the random shit we've come to love. I'd recommend going back and trying to listen to it. As far as any specific episodes to start back on, maybe just listen to the most recent one and back track from there if your into it.

#4 Edited by narujoe93 (2434 posts) -

I still love it!

#5 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

The podcast is the same as it's always been.

#6 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3657 posts) -

They've found a good groove again.

#7 Posted by Ramone (2931 posts) -

@milkman said:

The podcast is the same as it's always been.

I disagree. It feels different somehow. It's still great but it's not the same.

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14308 posts) -

Now that Drew is on it when they talk about what they did over the last week they have more stuff to talk about then sitting around playing video games/nothing as he seems to actually go out and do stuff with his life. Lead to some funny stories.

#9 Posted by h0lgr (892 posts) -

There's a difference, but it's totally still Bombcast material.
Don't trip, the Bombsquad has your back.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9375 posts) -

@oldirtybearon:

It's very off-topic. It's certainly different from what it used to be. It still sounds like they are trying to figure out their place in the podcast and Jeff is still trying to get used to being a host. I personally don't like it as much as when Ryan ran it but it is still very good and worth listening too. Hopefully as they go they will tighten things up a bit.

#11 Edited by Dimi3je (223 posts) -

It's different, but still great. Nothing stops the bombtrain!

#12 Posted by Shaunage (641 posts) -

The podcast is still great.

#13 Edited by D0tti (786 posts) -

.....I don't however want to listen to a games podcast. I'm just not interested in any in-depth games discussion anymore.

I agree 100% with this. That reason alone is why I fell in love with the bombcast, cause it wasn't strictly a games podcast. I just want to hear some of my fav internet personalities talk about everything and nothing.

#14 Edited by Zero_ (1970 posts) -

I'm not going to lie - I don't enjoy it as much. I still obviously listen to it every week, and will continue doing so - but it's never going to have that energy it had. I always felt Ryan was the glue that held everyone together and was the catalyst to everyone being so funny.

#15 Posted by SeanFoster (837 posts) -

I enjoy the podcast still, it's definitely worth listening to, but I find it a bit dryer than it used to be. I realized recently that the Bombcast used to be a "drop everything and listen" show for me and now I'm getting to a couple of days later and finishing it off on the weekends.

#16 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11005 posts) -

It's a less structured, more derailed show than it used to be.

#17 Posted by Klarion18 (66 posts) -

I think the podcast gets off topic mainly cause they have less stuff to talk about games wise. Should pick up in the next few months.

Still worth listening to every minute. The integration of ads is pretty amusing.

#18 Posted by joshwent (1778 posts) -

Just to counter what some folks are saying here, I agree that the content has slightly (SLIGHTLY) changed, but I still like it every decibel as much as I always have.

It only gets derailed when they go off and do some random brilliant comedy bit which is always worth listening to. And they still cover what each of them has been playing, the news, and emails. So though there is maybe more time spent laughing and less on games, we're not really missing any content. I may be alone in this, but in the past, I'd often feel like them talking only about games dragged a lot. One of them would just describe what a game was like for 10 minutes, even though there's a quicklook where they already said all of the same stuff with visuals to boot. So the content that there is less of, isn't that bad to get rid of in the first place.

I will always miss Ryan, and the podcast was very much his show, but even with that huge loss it's as great as ever.

#19 Posted by weegieanawrench (1918 posts) -

Having lost the man who kept them on topic, the bombcast is certainly more free form. They still follow the basic structure of the show, but the diverge more often and stay off topic much longer. So in a way, this is kind of what you're looking for. I enjoy the erratic nature of the neo-bombcast, but I kind of want someone on the bombcast who can bring back flow. Who's going to tell Jeff to move on to the next topic?

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (9375 posts) -

@joshwent:

If I'm honest, I find the comedy bits very unfunny. I skipped over large sections of the show the last few episodes because the bits, which weren't funny, kept going.

#21 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

@ramone: Well, obviously the show is different simply by virtue of Ryan being gone but I think, with maybe a bit less structure, the tone and general content is the same.

#22 Posted by joshwent (1778 posts) -

@jasonr86: That's totally valid. Although, I'm curious then if you've found the Bombcast funny in the past. I feel like their humor, even with Ryan, is pretty much unchanged, there's just a lot more of it.

I will totally agree with others though that I'd rather hear 'bits' related to gaming, but that's just because those guys are so knowledgeable and insightful about that, that even their jokes are interesting and hilarious. Not because jokes about other things are less funny.

#23 Posted by skadave (191 posts) -

Not only did the Bombcast lose Ryan Davis, it also lost Patrick the week before. I remember the first Podcast without Ryan/Patrick (July 2nd Bombcast) and thinking "I can't wait till Ryan gets back, the show is not the same without him". So sad.

The show is certainly more loosey goosey than it was in the past. I would say it has a lot to do with Ryan and Patrick's absence but also due to the fact that there is not much gaming news to cover at this time. I would suspect that it will be more gaming focused once the new consoles come out.

#24 Posted by Killerfridge (289 posts) -

Like everyone said, it seems less structured and sometimes less energetic, but to me at least, it's still the bombcast. There's no doubt in my mind that it had changed, but I still love it.

#25 Edited by joshwent (1778 posts) -

@skadave said:

...but also due to the fact that there is not much gaming news to cover at this time. I would suspect that it will be more gaming focused once the new consoles come out.

This is a great point! I can't remember specifics, but for the past two or three weeks when Jeff has asked what someone has been playing, someone has answered, "nothing really" or "finishing up GTA V". So there's either no game to discuss, or a game that has already been discussed every way possible. The guys have just done their rotation of vacations and are in the pre-holiday pre-console gaming lull, so their discussions are understandably more disjointed for now, but not at all necessarily for the future.

The show will inevitably be less focused when there's less to focus on.

#26 Posted by Chop (1963 posts) -

If you had heard a Jeff hosted bombcast before, it's just that. Far more laid back, Randomier random tangents, and quick summaries rather than in depth discussion of new releases and news. I like it, but I'm also in the same boat as you. I'm not too interested in game news and the industry anymore, so the bombcast is a pretty fantastic fit.

#27 Edited by csl316 (7353 posts) -

I think all their content has been strong in recent months, and the Bombcast is no exception.

#28 Edited by AndrewB (7190 posts) -

If anything, they spend more time off-topic than ever. The lead up to new consoles hasn't bred a whole lot of new and noteworthy games which also appeal to the hosts, so the actual games content has been mostly limited to drawn-out conversation based on who has finished what possibly older release in a given week, then whatever is in the news. I feel like I'm in the sad minority who is eagerly awaiting the new console launch so that we can actually get back to the talk about video games on this podcast which is ostensibly supposed to be about that.

Ryan not being there, and particularly not being the host, certainly makes it different, but not any worse.

#29 Posted by ch3burashka (4902 posts) -

Whenever Ryan was off duty and Jeff was hosting, there was an odd atmosphere to the Bombcast. Not bad or inferior, just different - Ryan and Jeff differed on their method of hosting, Ryan much more "disciplined" than Jeff. It's still the Bombcast - if you loved it before, you'll love it now. It still have 3/4 of your favorite dudes, 4/5 if you include Drew.

As weird as it is, I still go back and listen to oldies. On 6/23 Ryan mentioned his either upcoming or very recent wedding, and that kind of hurt.

#30 Edited by JasonR86 (9375 posts) -

@joshwent:

I found them funny and still do. They just keep it going way too long. I think Ryan knew when to reign it and move on.

#31 Posted by Lanechanger (379 posts) -

Now that Drew is on it when they talk about what they did over the last week they have more stuff to talk about then sitting around playing video games/nothing as he seems to actually go out and do stuff with his life. Lead to some funny stories.

haha, I felt the same way about Drew's addition to the podcast.

It's interesting to hear that people are getting less interested about the actual gaming talk. I remember Jeff in one of his Jar Talk saying "Forget about this whole video game things" regarding the website...

I think the bombcast has changed for sure. For better or for worst will be up to the listener but there's more racing talk, more tangents, more Vinny and Jeff playing off of each other, and more random internet stories from Brad?

#32 Posted by Rxanadu (498 posts) -

Whenever Ryan was off duty and Jeff was hosting, there was an odd atmosphere to the Bombcast. Not bad or inferior, just different - Ryan and Jeff differed on their method of hosting, Ryan much more "disciplined" than Jeff.

I had the same feeling when Jeff started hosting On the Spot when Rich Gallop left GameSpot; Jeff just seems less structured than most people. If I were to critique his work, however, I would say it gives off a feeling of "being stuck with the job" rather than a willingness to do it. This feeling shows in the constant shifting of the theme songs at the start and end of most Bombcasts after Ryan's passing.

#33 Posted by laserguy (413 posts) -

It feels like Ryan is on vacation, we're waiting for his return. But the show goes on and its great still. There's a nice almost quite calm to it now. He was a really good talker, and controlled the conversation in a way the guy's don't do. kind of over shadowed them. It was a spark and now that spark is gone. The whole site is different without him. No Monday's, no mailbag. But it goes on, you can't stop because someone die's, that's not life, life is living, and he would want all of us to enjoy this thing. Ryan would be disappointed if we all shriveled up and stopped paying attention to this. Listen to the Bombcast, if we stop what happens next?

#34 Posted by speakdraw (4 posts) -

I think the podcast is still great. I really miss Ryan's energy, but I think Jeff is doing a fantastic job. The crew is the mostly the same, and I like hearing from Drew's adventures.

When it comes to the shifting of the theme song, I think that's because Ryan was the one who edited the podcast, and Jeff didn't have the original files.

#35 Posted by spraynardtatum (2125 posts) -

Listen to the bombcast you monster! What the hell is wrong with you!!!!!!!

#36 Edited by RazielCuts (2711 posts) -

Deja vu all over again. Didn't we have a thread like this a month + ago as well? With this and the Big Live Live Show thread...am I losing my mind? Or can I see into the future?

'Save the Cheerleader, Save the World.'

I think it's been fine, had to find its groove for a bit but I think people have settled into their roles, I always thought Jeff could bring hosting skills when he needed to. Sometimes it can feel a bit dry? But I don't know if thats a subconscious thing or not. I do wonder what the Bombcast is going to be like this week though. Jeff off on assignment, Vinny not being able to make it in because of the BART strikes. A Brad, Drew, Rorie, Alexis (?) bombcast? Who would host that? By roles it should be Brad but I don't think he'd make for a very good host..

#37 Posted by Undeadpool (4866 posts) -

Hilarious, rabies-filled anecdotes.

#38 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: I felt exactly as you did. I didn't listen to a Bombcast between the first one after Ryan died until a few weeks ago, now I'm starting to get back into them. If you enjoyed the meandering conversations they are there in full force. Personally I only dig Vinny's fatherhood stories and Jeff's Living In Scummy Californian Chaos stories, so the Brad Dota Minute and Drew's Skill Building Report are fast-forward for me.

I should say the Pathfinder show is what got me back into Giant Bomb content. Until then I was considering if I was done with this site and this period in my life.

As a sidenote, I'm going to try to keep as straight as possible while thinking about Ryan. I'll say Ryan's dead or that Ryan died, I'm going to try to avoid euphemistic language as much as possible. It might hurt less to say 'it' or 'that thing that happened' or 'he passed on' but it doesn't let anything heal. I'd rather be straight, let it hurt, until it scabs up.

#39 Edited by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

The Bombcast's quality dropped severely but its now finding its footing and getting better every week. Its a totally different dynamic without Ryan. The Bombcast was Ryan. His humor and direction was what really made the show special. Now Jeff, Vinny, Brad, and Drew are finding their voice. Its very much the first couple months of the podcast almost five years ago. It didn't start off with every episode being golden it built up over time to find what worked for that group. And even that changed over time with Patrick and also Alex here and there. I really wish Rorie would join the show because I thought the podcast got a lot more interesting after Patrick made it a five man group.

#40 Edited by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

I think Ryan managed to make the Bombcast way more than just the sum of it's parts, mostly with just how he handled the show's tempo, who's talking, when to carry on with a joke, when to move on, when to be serious, etc etc. He was an incredibly natural host and leader when it came to the podcast, which is something that I don't think anyone else on the show can do.

That's not knocking them, some people just can't do that, I know I sure as hell couldn't. It's why comedy pretty much always runs by the straight man / funny man theme. Now we've just got a bunch of 'funny men' on the podcast, with no-one to point out their absurdities to them, or be the wall that they'll play off of.

I'm sure they'll get better of it, or maybe just Jeff if he continues to try and take Ryan's position, but they'll never be a natural like Ryan was.

#42 Edited by AngriGhandi (682 posts) -

Although there are many differences between Bombcast Classic and Neo Bombcast, the single biggest difference - which I think is indicative of the overall divergence in style - is that Jeff almost never remembers to end the show like it was a show. It just kind of reaches a point where things have wound down, and then somebody says, "so I guess that's all for this week?" and then Jeff says "...yep! Bye!" And then the music plays.

It seems more like ending a meeting than ending a show. I almost wonder if it's on purpose?

#43 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I'm gonna be a bit of a downer and say that I think it's nowhere near as good as it was before. Ryan really was the thing that made the podcast work for me. I actually feel like that with all the content put out lately.

#44 Edited by Aleryn (703 posts) -

They wandered for a few episodes but they seem to be hitting a good mix of random stories and video games. Drew is a good addition for the oddball stories department. If you were after gaming news (sounds like you're not though) I'd say give Bombin' in the AM a try. It's turned out to be an excellent gaming news podcast.

#45 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

It's still a great podcast. It can feel a bit disorganized at times, but that only leads to some absurd-comedic tangents - So I'm cool with that. Drew also makes a pretty great addition to the podcasting crew. Ryan may be gone, but the stupid and chaotic (used lovingly) spirit of the show remains. Give it a listen.

#46 Posted by warpig87 (32 posts) -

I think Vinny and Drew have done an amazing job stepping up lately. Drew added to the mix is fantastic, it reminds me of when Dave would drop in and just blurt out some random story or anecdote (That whirlworld episode is still one of the all time greats) and Vinny hosting on Monday was honestly the best podcast for me in weeks. I miss Ryan and his energy / direction a lot, but thats life, unfair and abrupt. They're starting to find their groove again, give it time

#47 Posted by Hailinel (22708 posts) -

Although there are many differences between Bombcast Classic and Neo Bombcast, the single biggest difference - which I think is indicative of the overall divergence in style - is that Jeff almost never remembers to end the show like it was a show. It just kind of reaches a point where things have wound down, and then somebody says, "so I guess that's all for this week?" and then Jeff says "...yep! Bye!" And then the music plays.

It seems more like ending a meeting than ending a show. I almost wonder if it's on purpose?

I don't think so. Jeff just doesn't seem as talented a host as Ryan was. It also seems like Vinny has much better chops for podcast hosting than he does.

#48 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@angrighandi said:

I don't think so. Jeff just doesn't seem as talented a host as Ryan was. It also seems like Vinny has much better chops for podcast hosting than he does.

Jeff just has a different style. He has kept the podcast very light on production, he keeps the show loose and conversational. It's an intentional choice. Obviously when Jeff lets the show start almost in the middle of a long off topic conversation it is a choice he is making.

If people don't like the style I understand. I personally liked how the show flowed with Vinny this week (though it was missing Jeff, of course) but I think the Jeff shows have been interesting.

#49 Posted by leebmx (1856 posts) -

What I have also noticed is that there is almost always a late title card with Jeff as well. Whereas Ryan would start with. 'Hey Everybody it's Tuesday!' (God I miss those words) When Jeff is in control it always starts as if in the middle of a conversation and then he drops in that it is the Bombcast later on.

#50 Posted by MjHealy (1738 posts) -

Pay no heed to those who say it's more free-form these days, it barely has.

The only time I have ever critiqued the podcast was around spring of this year when the show went from "podcast occasionally about video games" to "stuff?". I love the off-topic talk (since I get vidja game stuff elsewhere) but the quality of their "off-topic" discussion dipped for a while there when they still had Ryan and Patrick. Still a great show, but it may have been a bit complacent. I feel like the off-topic talk has improved again (it got better before Patrick left/Ryan left us BTW) with the healthy addition of Drew. Jeff is fast and loose when it comes to editing (and mixing. For some reason, Jeff-hosted episodes always sounded different) but their random shit-talking is as fun and delightful as ever.