Hey, here's my approach to character creators.

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I just finished listening to last Tuesday's Bombcast. The question about character creators and what the guys did with them. I figured I had my own interesting approach to that type of thing, and kinda wanted to share it with everyone here.

I've been making the same character in every character creator ever since Rock band 2. I made this character that I called Zwain, I made him kind of pseudo futuristic, like the dudes from the future near the end of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Even gave him the 80 visor style shades, super cheezy! :D

After that I made him again in Fallout 3, then Dragon Age: Origins, and finally Mass Effect; using him throughout the whole trilogy. I was playing Fallout 3 where something went awry and I ended up having to kill my way through a bunch of slaves I had just saved. Rather than reload my save, I decided to roll with it and have Zwain feeling heavy with regret. That's where I came up with the idea for time travel, for him to atone for his sins. Then something screws up on a machine and it ends up sending him back over 100 years to the late 70's, where he gets hooked into the rock and roll scene.

That was just the beginning. Since then I've come up with reasons to justify his game hopping to Dragon Age and Mass Effect. I've even started writing my own story called The Chronicles of Zwain; where I'm taking each genre of those games and coming up with my own narrative. So I got a post apocalyptic story, that ties directly with Zwain and his band prepare for the start of their first big tour. Then I have the medieval fantasy, and finally it all wraps up in a giant science fiction epic. I've just gotten to the fantasy portion of the story, and I'm having a fun time writing about Orcs and knights, and trying to fit Zwain in to their worlds. :D

Anyhow, this topic was deleted in off topic, I was hesitant to post a link to my blog where I'm posting the story(a chapter a day) at fist, and I should've listened to my own hesitations. So I decided to flesh out my post and re-post it here, since it it more relevant to last week's Bombcast.

Anyone else do neat things when making create-a-characters?

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Not really, I'm mostly like Ryan, I'd try to make some variation of myself, or I'd just make a pretty lady.

I would read The Chronicles of Zwain though, sounds like it might be fun.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A fan fiction not involving Ryan and a cake is a fan fiction that I don't care about.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Didn't really get why the last thread was locked.

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duecenage: making the same character for every game is a pretty interesting idea, haha

I usually try to make somebody different every time I create a character. I try to go 50/50 with the gender (unless there are factors like shitty animations/character models). I've also started to limit myself to 5 minutes in any creator. Those things can steal hours of your time if you let them.

Of course, when it comes to Dark Souls I usually go for something like the following

No Caption Provided

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CaLe

I just try to make someone who looks cool. The default pre-set character usually looks pretty cool to me, so it's an easy process.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I follow my momentary inspiration, and whatever feels like it'd fit the game's setting.

Sometimes it's your stock ripped videogame dude, sometimes it's a pretty lady and sometimes it's a bizarre creature that god never intended to exist...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@rafaelfc said:

I follow my momentary inspiration, and whatever feels like it'd fit the game's setting.

Sometimes it's your stock ripped videogame dude, sometimes it's a pretty lady and sometimes it's a bizarre creature that god never intended to exist...

This for me.

Except I've never understood the appeal of deliberately making a really ugly character.

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Duecenage

@newhaap: true, pretty ladies are fun to make.

@winternet: curses! I knew I was missing out on some hot erotica potential!

@barrock: The inclusion of the link to my blog is against forum policy. I had to hunt down the rules to confirm that because the "No spam" rule that was displayed when I made the post only talked about posting links without context, which I was careful to make sure I had. I thought I had toed the line, but not entirely surprised.

@nickieroonie: WHOA! That dude is frightening, that should almost be the secret way to making it a Dark Souls "easy mode!" Haha! Here are a few of the various Zwain's I've made, it's gets quicker each time I do it. There's even the Rock Band 2 original. Also, I had The Sims 3 glitch on me, so I got some hilarious bare ass shots.

Edit: I changed the RB2 image since the other one was ridiculously huge!

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Duecenage

@rafaelfc: @soapy86:

I reserve the hideous, hideous version for my second or third play through. Or I max out all the sliders to one side or the other. That's how Meathead Shepard was made. The most ridiculous time I spent was trying really hard to make Shepard look like Matthew Fox, so that I could call him Jack.

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nickieroonie
@soapy86 said:

Except I've never understood the appeal of deliberately making a really ugly character.

It's hilarious. Especially during cutscenes that are supposed to be serious! I usually don't do monstrosities the first time around.

climbedbritain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soapy86 said:

Because shit like this is funny as hell.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

hyphgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

This