#1 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

On this week's Bombcast, Jeff mentioned needing Diet Cokes to fuel his MolyJam game and Patrick expressed that it was a good thing that they were only 25 cents. Seems like the GB crew is living the high life and CBSi is picking up the tab.

The soda machine at my work spits out cans for 60 cents and I feel like that's an okay price for ice-cold name-brand soda on-demand.

The most I've ever seem was at a Six Flags park: $2.75. Fuck. That.

Conversely, I have seen a 25 cent machine but it was for generic-ass sodas and it was in a grocery store, next to the deli counter. So much for convenience.

How are vending machines priced for the rest of you duders?

#3 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

A buck. So I don't buy them.

#4 Posted by haffy (674 posts) -

Erm like 60p or over a quid for bottles I think. I usually bring cheapy bottled water everywhere because drinks are kind of overpriced.

#5 Posted by Bocam (3833 posts) -

$2.75. Though the machine is broken as fuck and if you buy a can there's a pretty big chance that you'll get 5 cans

#6 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

Cans (330ml): 80p.

Bottles (500ml): £1.10 to £1.40

Expensive, but what can you do? 80p for a coke is pretty good considering the vending machines happen to be the only place at my school where you can pick up a soft drink. It's not too expensive but it isn't cheap either. I can't recall ever seeing anywhere cheaper than 70p for a can, either.

#7 Edited by believer258 (12211 posts) -

A dollar to a dollar twenty five, depending on which one I'm looking at, for bottles. That's at my college - at the Wal-Mart nearby, there are machines that sell cans for 75 cents.

EDIT: And is there anywhere other than North Carolina that says "soft drinks"? From other areas, I always hear "soda" and "pop" but nowhere other than here do I see "soft drinks".

#8 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3089 posts) -

$1 to $1.50

#9 Posted by TheJohn (552 posts) -

Somewhere between three fifty and four bucks I guess. But I live in Norway. Stuff be pricey 'round these here parts

#10 Posted by Soap (3645 posts) -

I don't use your weird foreign currency, but it's 80p which is way to much! Cans in the shop are like... 50-60p

#11 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

$1.25 on my campus for pop and water.

#12 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

According to google, 10 SEK = 1.48377 USD

Oh and in stores they are like half of that.

#13 Posted by n11n12 (101 posts) -

At work, forty cents a can and seventy for a 20 ounce bottle.

But sometimes you get lucky and two cans of Code Red Mountain Dew come out at once. You know it's gonna be a good day when that happens.

#14 Posted by mosespippy (4468 posts) -

I remember knowing where the vending machine with the lowest price in the city was. The mechanic there had a lifetime contract with the distributor from the 50's or something so he had $.35 per can in his lobby. In general it's about $1.10 or $1.25 I think but I don't buy stuff in vending machines very often. I probably haven't done it in 3 or 4 years because that shit is overpriced.

What's the most you guys have ever paid for a soda? When the bottling plant on the island was on strike I happened to be at an event at a high class hotel so they had a premium on top of the already inflated cost caused by supply/demand. As a result I piad $10 for a can of pepsi and $5 for a can of 7up.

#15 Posted by jking47 (1248 posts) -

a buck, seems like a fair price for a can of soda

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

When the bottling plant on the island was on strike I happened to be at an event at a high class hotel so they had a premium on top of the already inflated cost caused by supply/demand. As a result I piad $10 for a can of pepsi and $5 for a can of 7up.

Holy shit, duder. I hope you had that thing stuffed and mounted or something.

#17 Edited by MattyFTM (14433 posts) -

I think cans of coke are like 30 pence at work. Something like that, anyway. Far cheaper than it would be in a real vending machine. I'm not really sure of the exact price because I don't pay much attention to how much things cost in the canteen at work. We don't use cash, we preload money onto a card and use that. So I pretty much always just shove the card in and select what I want without thinking about it. If the machine says no, I load a few quid onto the card and then get back to spending it.

Either way, it's fairly common for canteens at large companies to have subsidised food and drink for their employees. It really shouldn't be that much of a surprise that they can get cans of coke for 25 cents from their work vending machine.

#18 Posted by Donkeycow (558 posts) -

At my university it's usually between a dollar and $1.25 canadian. A bit too expensive to just buy on a whim but reasonable if you are thirsty and want some tasty sugar water.

#19 Posted by mosespippy (4468 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@mosespippy said:

When the bottling plant on the island was on strike I happened to be at an event at a high class hotel so they had a premium on top of the already inflated cost caused by supply/demand. As a result I piad $10 for a can of pepsi and $5 for a can of 7up.

Holy shit, duder. I hope you had that thing stuffed and mounted or something.

The bartender poured it into a chilled glass so there was nothing to stuff and mount. Now that I think about it there might have been a can and a half poured into that glass. Also, it was like week 11 of the strike so supply was super limited and the first glass was free at the event.

#20 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

$1 for can (maybe $1.25) and $1.50 for bottle at my school. Way too much.

#21 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

Cans are like 80p? Bottles are £1.20 ish?

#22 Edited by PenguinDust (12641 posts) -

I don't remember the last time I bought something from one, but I pass them every now and then and locally they run around 60 to 75 cents for a 12 ounce can.

#23 Edited by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Can't think of any can vending machines around. At my college bottled soda cost $1.25 and things like Life water are $1.50.

EDIT: From vending machines.

#24 Posted by caska (145 posts) -

@believer258: Here in Australia is weird whenever anyone doesn't say soft drink

At my uni right now there's really only ever 600ml varieties and they're always more than $3 and if oyu can find cans they'd be $1.5

I remember in high school there'd be this black market of coke cans going for $1 and undercutting the venders priced at $1.2. You just had to know a guy who knew a guy to get you hooked up

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6449 posts) -

I dunno really, we don't have one at work (there only being 4 of us) and you don't really get them in places that aren't... I don't really know. I don't remember the last time I saw a vending machine in England, other than when I was in high school 6 years years ago.

#26 Posted by Blackout62 (1412 posts) -

$1-$2 but thats for 16 oz bottles so who knows how that actually works out value wise.

#27 Posted by RandomAtom (88 posts) -

$1.50 for soda/gatorade at the gym, $1.25 at school

#28 Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition (735 posts) -

I don't remember the last time I saw a machine that sells cans. Only 16 oz bottles here. It's $1.50 on campus and $2 at work.

#29 Posted by MoltenBoron (89 posts) -

The bottles of soda at my university cost $1.75; so, I rarely ever buy them. I don't know of a place nearby that sells cans in vending machines.

#30 Posted by InfiniteSpark (275 posts) -

At work, a 16oz bottle from the vending machine costs $1.25. It's $1.25 to $2.00 for other vending machines in my area. No cans.

My parents, who run a grocery store, are selling cans for $0.89 and bottles for $1.39. They gotta make money somehow. (U.S. amounts)

#31 Posted by mmzOne (278 posts) -

I think last time I checked they were something like 1,50-1,75€. That's like 2 - 2,5$?

#32 Posted by andriv (257 posts) -

150-250 kr (1-2$) in iceland.

and no selection, coke, pepsi, red bull and some orange soda

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (15180 posts) -

@Bocam: Thats like the best thing ever. Reminds me of the "Shops" in Binary Domain. Every so often you get lucky and hit a "jackpot" and the machine spits extra stuff at you for free.

#34 Posted by Cloneslayer (1646 posts) -

1.25-1.50 for a 20oz . I'm in Michigan so its has the 10 cent deposit.

#35 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

They are free in the refrigirator, but i never drink soda at work and neither do most of the people i work with. Too much sugar. I drink coffee, which is also free

#36 Posted by Deadmanforking (579 posts) -

60p for cans, £1.10 for bottles.

#37 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@believer258

A dollar to a dollar twenty five, depending on which one I'm looking at, for bottles. That's at my college - at the Wal-Mart nearby, there are machines that sell cans for 75 cents.

EDIT: And is there anywhere other than North Carolina that says "soft drinks"? From other areas, I always hear "soda" and "pop" but nowhere other than here do I see "soft drinks".

We say soft drink in Australia. Soda here is only ever used when describing soda water, and pop just sounds dumb as shit.

Vending machines nearest to my office are at the train station, and a 600ml bottle of come is 4 bucks from them, which is fucking attrocious.
#38 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair
@believer258

We say soft drink in Australia. Soda here is only ever used when describing soda water, and pop just sounds dumb as shit.

Vending machines nearest to my office are at the train station, and a 600ml bottle of come is 4 bucks from them, which is fucking attrocious.
Hahahaha bottle of come, thanks auto correct.

Coke, of course, was what that was meant to say.
#39 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

Usually $1 in most vending machines I have seen. $1.00-1.50 for 20oz bottles most of the time. I've seen much higher, especially at the LACC during E3. Fuck that nonsense; steal from IGN on those days (or hit up EA's open bar in the press rooms).

Just a tip :)

#40 Posted by Grilledcheez (3958 posts) -

I never see cans anymore, but 20 oz bottles are anywhere between 1.25-1.75

#41 Posted by SwiftFire (75 posts) -

At my university campus in Australia a 500ml bottle of coke is $2.50 which seems pretty consistent with the rest of Brisbane's vending machines.

Lipton's Ice Tea is $3.50 for 700ml. Buying anything in Australia fucking sucks.

#42 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2432 posts) -

The vending machine at my girlfriends university sells soda for around 1.50. To much for my blood

#43 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

50 cents for no-name brand sodas, which is what i usually buy. The other machines that sell actually pepsi etc are like between a buck or 2

#44 Posted by lasborg (45 posts) -

Here in Denmark normal vending machine prices are around 15 kroner for 500 ml brand name sodas. That is around $2.60 us. Way too pricey.

#45 Posted by Sneeze (90 posts) -

@lasborg said:

Here in Denmark normal vending machine prices are around 15 kroner for 500 ml brand name sodas. That is around $2.60 us. Way too pricey.

Aww man, where is that machine?

Around here they are +18,- DKK! :(

(That's about $3.20..)