#1 Posted by Mordul (2 posts) -

So In the Valentine's BombCast Ryan mentioned how much he likes how often Dirt 3 says his name. I wonder how many others have felt the game calling out to them. My brother finds it hilarious to play Resident Evil 5 as Sheva so whenever he hits a checkpoint/co-op action he can spam A and call my name as I run around looting or catching up. I hate my name now.

#2 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

My name (the spelling of it especially) isn't all that common a name to use in media/games, so when I do hear it, I over praise the character.

#3 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -
#4 Posted by Mordul (2 posts) -

@Hairy_Fish: Kay..is the video supposed to repeat...cause otherwise my PC is in on the joke.

#5 Posted by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

Watching the Deadly Premonition ER was really weird to me, Zach.

#6 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

Unfortunately, the only Liam I can recall from a video game is Liam MaGuire from Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars. Not surprised, though. Liam is kind of a wimpy name... Liam Neeson being the exception.

#7 Edited by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@Zacagawea: @Hairy_Fish: My name is Chris, and my brothers name is Zach, so both of those games were kinda weird, especially when Zach was in the room.

#8 Posted by Blackhebrew2 (68 posts) -

My name is Dale, there has never been one game where my name has been called , even my second name is quite obcure, I have to make up a character for voice overs, so I feel kind of left out of these shenanigans

#9 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

My name is Joe, so I'm gonna take a swing that a few games out there use that name. I mean, it's a super masculine name full of vigor and not mention blandness so who wouldn't want to be named Joe? Joseph? Sure why the fuck not. However Joey is not for cool people, minus the WM representative. 

#10 Posted by Twinsun (476 posts) -

My name is not used in english speaking countries, so I've never seen it used in a video game. And it is rare enough, even in real life, that I get pretty confused when somebody else in the room has the same name as me.

#11 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

Dirt 3 had the alternate spelling of my name (pronounced the same) but aside from that I have never seen a main character with the name Calum/Callum.

#12 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

My name is also Chris, RE5 was a fun experience!

#13 Posted by AndrewB (7611 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

Unfortunately, the only Liam I can recall from a video game is Liam MaGuire from Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars. Not surprised, though. Liam is kind of a wimpy name... Liam Neeson being the exception.

It's like "I Am," except with an L in front of it.

#14 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I don't remember a game with a character named Gabriel. I believe there was a detective game, but i don't know if i'm making this up.

#15 Posted by BaconGames (3407 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

I don't remember a game with a character named Gabriel. I believe there was a detective game, but i don't know if i'm making this up.

Gabriel Angelos is a major character in the Dawn of War II franchise. He may or may not be playable but he's definitely involved.

My name is common enough so I'm not that bothered when it is or isn't featured. Personally I am okay but not as thrilled whenever someone says my name like in Dirt 2/3 (or in sports games).

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

You get to share your first name with this hunk of generic badassery.

#17 Posted by Strife777 (1576 posts) -

I can't remember having a game with my name in it, let alone my own character being called that way.

My name is José (Jose), but I'm not hispanic/latino in any way, so my name is not pronounced the same way most people outside of Quebec, and maybe Canada, would think.

That basically means if my name was in there somewhere, it would probably be pronounced the Spanish way, which I would probably find more amusing.

#18 Posted by MiniPato (2737 posts) -

@Cwaff said:

My name is also Chris, RE5 was a fun experience!

Chris! Chris! C'mon! Let's Go! Chris! C'mon! Chris! Chris!

#19 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@MikeGosot said:

You get to share your first name with this hunk of generic badassery.

Oh! Right! I really liked that game so i don't know how could i have forgotten of such an "incredible" character. He msut THAT generic, 'cause the only thing i remember about him is that he looks cool with Snake's bandana.

#20 Posted by Maajin (1063 posts) -

@MikeGosot: Let's not forget Mr. Gabriel Knight, schatenjäeger and adventurer extraordinaire.

#21 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@Maajin: Oh MAN! I think THAT was the detective game i was "talking" about.

#22 Edited by Djratchet (669 posts) -

My name has never been said aloud in any VO I have heard. Sigh.

#23 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

The only game I've played in which there is a character that shares my first name (Luke) is Jedi Academy and, well, he's more well-known for other things. I know that Tales of the Abyss has one too but I don't have a 3DS and as if you can find a Tales game in Europe without paying an arm and a leg anyway.

As for my last name, well let's just say I know full well what Jeff meant when he talked about never having your surname available for commentary in sports games.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24711 posts) -

The only game I know of with a character with my name (Justin) is the original Grandia, and I never played it.

#25 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I can't actually think of any Pauls in video games. Although to make up for that, there's the film...Paul.

#26 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -

My name is Nyx (seriously) so playing Persona 3 was interesting, to say the least.

#27 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@NyxFe said:

My name is Nyx (seriously) so playing Persona 3 was interesting, to say the least.

Nyx? Where you're from?
#28 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

The only Jack I know is Naked Snake, and even that's replaceable for John.

#29 Posted by Modedude (36 posts) -

Being called Sam, playing Vanquish was interesting, especially during the sniper sequence, with people going "Nice shot Sam!".

#30 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Very rarely is my name in a video game.

#31 Posted by Vitor (2821 posts) -

@Twinsun said:

My name is not used in english speaking countries, so I've never seen it used in a video game. And it is rare enough, even in real life, that I get pretty confused when somebody else in the room has the same name as me.

Oh I totally thought I had the same thing.

Then Mass Effect 2 introduced 'Veetor' which is pronounced the same as my real name... WEIRD.