• 127 results
#1 Edited by PeepingTommy (63 posts) -

I'm a longtime fan of Jeff and the boys, listening since the Hotspot days. However a new trend in all their Bombcasts and feature videos is really winding me up.

Why do they all keep going "Huh"?

So often when one of them makes a point be it some news or a witty piece of GB insight, one or more of the others go "Huh". I'd expect a better use of vocabulary than a grunt from a group of people with their combined experience in journalism.

#2 Posted by Splodge (1070 posts) -

Huh.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (21270 posts) -

I hafta assume this is a joke, right? A bit of satire over all of the giant bomb criticism threads that have been routinely popping up lately?

#4 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Huh?

#5 Posted by Darkstalker (715 posts) -

is it huh in that "what?" sense or is it the kanye west huuuh?

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11851 posts) -

Well, it's a much more natural, conversational response than "Interesting." or "That was insightful, thanks Jeff!"

#7 Posted by wrecks (2210 posts) -

Hmm.

#8 Posted by PeepingTommy (63 posts) -

Not a joke, I promise. A genuine annoyance. I love the show and haven't missed one in years.

#9 Edited by PeepingTommy (63 posts) -

They seem to use it for multiple reasons Darkstalker as in "huh" (what?) or "huh" (that's annoying) or "huh" (that's surprising) or "huh" (that's good) or "huh" (that's bad) or "huh" (good point).

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6334 posts) -

I'd prefer an incredulous "You WOT, mate?". Especially from resident Englishman Brad Shoemaker.

#11 Edited by PeepingTommy (63 posts) -

That would be great, ShaggE. Very boombastic.

#12 Posted by Tortoise (178 posts) -

For whatever reason, I don't find it too too bad, y'know?

#13 Posted by Yummylee (21270 posts) -

@shagge said:

I'd prefer an incredulous "You WOT, mate?". Especially from resident Englishman Brad Shoemaker.

...are u 'avin a giggle lad?

#14 Posted by Newfangled (30 posts) -

Pales in comparison to some of the staffs' addiction to the world 'like'.

#15 Edited by ShaggE (6334 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@shagge said:

'ave you gone men'al, mate? You bein' cheeky, innit?

#16 Posted by Achaemenid (88 posts) -

This thread is the epitome of how the internet makes people overly critical of one another.

#17 Edited by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

Ostensibly it's better than some, and I mean that unironically.

#18 Posted by notnert427 (221 posts) -

@yummylee said:

I hafta assume this is a joke, right? A bit of satire over all of the giant bomb criticism threads that have been routinely popping up lately?

I was hoping this as well. People will complain about literally anything, it seems.

#19 Edited by ripelivejam (3543 posts) -

Hun.

#20 Posted by Mcfart (1550 posts) -
#21 Posted by Brodehouse (9588 posts) -

That game Inside, the Limbo follow up, when the trailer reaches its conclusion and the characters are staring at something through that window and it just hangs on the shot; I think the only proper response to that is "Huh." or "Hrm." There's a lot of stuff that is compelling and mysterious and you don't understand much but you want to know more. That's what "Huh." is. It's close to catharsis, but less emotional and more intellectual. It may mean your curiosity has been piqued or you are simply confused, but it's an outward statement of interest and non-judgment.

I overthink things.

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Eh wot?

#23 Posted by CorruptedEvil (1768 posts) -

They are human beings, they can't always have something perfect to say. Huh is a response that you use when you don't quite have your thoughts on it formulated yet.

#24 Posted by Xanadu (294 posts) -

I Know huh

#25 Posted by UitDeToekomst (703 posts) -

I'm always like super excited to hear about the guys' verbal predilections. You're a huh.

#26 Edited by Mistzero (300 posts) -

Op I know what you mean by "huh" but really it's not that big of a deal, I think they are just doing it as a inside joke or something but I haven't been bothered by it so huh...

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

Well, it's a much more natural, conversational response than "Interesting." or "That was insightful, thanks Jeff!"

I think he's saying that he wants them to respond with deeper, more engaging conversation.

#28 Posted by RazielCuts (2933 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

I think he's saying that he wants them to respond with deeper, more engaging conversation.

Well then he's come to the wrong place!

#29 Posted by PeepingTommy (63 posts) -

I don't think some of you realise how often they say it.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@turboman, you mind creating a video compilation of Giant Bomb huh?

#31 Posted by Slag (4016 posts) -

Huh, I hadn't noticed that

#32 Posted by Sbaitso (503 posts) -

I've definitely noticed it, though I don't think I'm as annoyed by it as you seem to be. There are certainly times when you want them to ask some sort of follow up question or response and they just leave it hanging, and that can be annoying.

Also, I'd just like to add in them ending sentences with "so.....", implying their point rather than actually spelling it out. I swear there have been whole conversations on this site where nobody finishes a sentence. It's very strange.

#33 Posted by Lyisa (328 posts) -

Hasn't this been a Brad Shoemaker thing forever?

#34 Posted by TheBlue (316 posts) -

"Huh." "You know?" "This game seems interesting."

Add it to the bingo board of things said during every Quick Look.

Seriously, the things people will complain about.

#35 Edited by Bistromath (587 posts) -

Err.

#36 Edited by pinner458 (600 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@shagge said:

#37 Posted by Beyond_Recall (39 posts) -
#38 Posted by Ravelle (1189 posts) -

I get what you're saying, I find it annoying when you explain something or tell someone something and they only reply with "Okay.." .

There's nothing you can really do anything about, try to ignore it and move on, it will only start to become worse anyways.

#39 Posted by TurboMan (7402 posts) -

Huh! Maybe if I wanted to go insane!

#40 Edited by Trilogy (2645 posts) -

I'd venture a guess that we all have some sort of annoying verbal habits that we don't even notice.

#41 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5241 posts) -

Interesting

#42 Posted by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

I'll upvote that faster than a Donald Draper What? clip.

#43 Posted by DexterKid (668 posts) -

I think it's mainly Brad who does that, and I do sometimes wish he would instead articulate his thoughts. 'Huh' might be a good shorthand when talking amongst friends, but on a broadcast, that is part of your job, I think a bit more effort is required.

#44 Posted by Castiel (2528 posts) -

I fuckin' hate how they have to breath during the podcast. Just take one big inhale of air and keep going on that inhale for 2 hours straight.

Kidding aside: I have totally noticed that too, but it doesn't really bother me at all.

#45 Edited by Wilshere (288 posts) -

The evolution of overused GB words:

gnarly - weird - huh

#46 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4289 posts) -

Wow....we're really scrapping the bottom of the barrel for complaints about GB lately, huh?

#47 Posted by Abendlaender (2764 posts) -

Uhhhh...really?

#48 Posted by ripelivejam (3543 posts) -

@wilshere said:

The evolution of overused GB words:

gnarly - weird - huh

also "gnar gnar" -brad s. maker

#49 Posted by OtakuGamer (1224 posts) -

Huh... I don't really get your concern.

#50 Posted by Pr1mus (3813 posts) -

I don't mind "huh" myself but i'm more of a fan of "uh".

As in "uh uh uh uh uh".