• 67 results
#1 Edited by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -

I mean, "Degrossi"? There's not even a f'ing letter O in it, Jeff! Why would you say it that way?

And he said it multiple times and the rest of the Bomb squad started saying it that way too. I'm way angrier about this than I really should be!

#2 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

You should write them a strongly worded letter.

#3 Posted by Lanechanger (461 posts) -

ok

#4 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2150 posts) -

I'm offended by teen pregnancy and drug use and Drake.

#5 Posted by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -

@nitrocore: "Dear Bombcast,

I love all the content you guys put out, but every time you said "Degrossi", my hands reached ever so closer to my own throat because your mishandling of my country's great franchise made me want to die. Please take more care in the future.

Keep circulating the tapes,

Sor Eddie"

#6 Posted by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -

@dallas_raines: I'm offended by Drake as well. As the admin of the Degrassi cloudtag on another popular forum website, I have a very strict "fuck drake" rule.

#7 Posted by Jay_Ray (1077 posts) -

As a Canadian I will officially apologize for Justin Bieber but not Drake

#8 Posted by Bribo (599 posts) -

I'm guessing you're French-Canadian, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

#9 Edited by Abendlaender (2783 posts) -

You should subscribe and then immediately unsubscribe.

#10 Posted by Brendan (7753 posts) -

You should subscribe and then immediately unsubscribe.

And then send them this message:

"HA!"

#11 Posted by CaLe (3957 posts) -

Never heard this word before. It's a surname? People always mispronounce surnames.

#12 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

More like De'Gross'i...AMIRITE GUYS!?!?!

#13 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2043 posts) -

Degrassi is the best Drake ever got

#14 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

@doctorwelch said:

More like De'Gross'i...AMIRITE GUYS!?!?!

no

#15 Posted by TheHT (11130 posts) -

I really like the old Degrassi. Some good stuff covered there.

Don't much care for the new one, but that could just be me get off my lawn-ing.

#16 Edited by GreggD (4487 posts) -

He pronounces it right, doesn't he? Every time I've seen any kind of ad for it, or anyone talking about it, they pronounce it like he does.

#17 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5405 posts) -
Click on this for Jeff's "Official" response.

#18 Posted by shinjin977 (755 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

@dallas_raines said:

Apology not accepted sir. As soon as that little shit leaked to japan, I am gonna have a little chat with canada.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14753 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan: Hot protip drag n' drop gifs into the text box to make them play automatically!

#20 Posted by Lanechanger (461 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan: Hot protip drag n' drop gifs into the text box to make them play automatically!

I think the way he had it was intentional/perfect actually. That deceptive smile in the still, followed by Jeff's response. Awesome.

#21 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

I'm a Canadian, and's that's the way I thought it was pronounced on the Citadel.

#22 Posted by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -
@bribo said:

I'm guessing you're French-Canadian, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Nah, Toronto. Incidentally, I've been to the actual De Grassi street. It's just a boring little dead end culdesac, sadly. I think there's a sign about how it's the birthplace of the franchise but that's it.

@theht said:

I really like the old Degrassi. Some good stuff covered there.

Don't much care for the new one, but that could just be me get off my lawn-ing.

Probably just the latter... Season 12 just ended a little while ago and it was pretty much the best the show had been. Honestly ranked side by side with the classic S3 of TNG.

@greggd said:

He pronounces it right, doesn't he? Every time I've seen any kind of ad for it, or anyone talking about it, they pronounce it like he does.

Really? I've never heard it pronounced any other way than "De-Grahssy"...Is this some weird American thing?

#23 Posted by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

@dallas_raines said:

How about Celine Dion and Avril Lavigne? I have yet to see an Canadian apologize for those crimes against music.

#24 Posted by Digiwth (151 posts) -

uhm, why would we apologize for the popstar that brought the world girlfriend and sk8er boi

#25 Posted by WaylonJennings (104 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

@dallas_raines said:

Ya, but we did give them Ryan Gosling, y'all are very welcome.

#26 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

You think that's bad listen to Brad and the other guy say "courier" in the DOTA videos, they pronounce it core-ee-er, it is infuriating!

#27 Posted by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -

Look guys, we gave you literally every funny comedian in the 80s and 90s, I think we're entitled to export some bad music every now and then.

#28 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

@dallas_raines said:

How about Celine Dion and Avril Lavigne? I have yet to see an Canadian apologize for those crimes against music.

Yeah, our bad...here, let the soothing dulcet tones of the Crash Test Dummies sooth your ears:

#29 Posted by Lanechanger (461 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

@dallas_raines said:

Ya, but we did give them Ryan Gosling, y'all are very welcome.

You know what all this reminds me of? The racial draft skit from the Dave Chappelle show.

#30 Posted by Digiwth (151 posts) -

@rollingzeppelin: I know! A lot of the time when Americans pronounce vaguely french-y words it freaks my Canadian ears out. D:

#31 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

Well just send Jeff the message and let him know, but he probably doesn't give a fuck.

#32 Edited by Digiwth (151 posts) -

I actually wrote to my Member of Parliament about this. Canada is clearly not exporting its rich culture hard enough if people from nocal don't know how to properly pronounce degrassi.

#33 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

@digiwth said:

@rollingzeppelin: I know! A lot of the time when Americans pronounce vaguely french-y words it freaks my Canadian ears out. D:

Is core-ee-er the American way of saying it? MADNESS!

#34 Posted by Digiwth (151 posts) -

@rollingzeppelin: I can't even pronounce it the way they do out loud! I am like incapable of saying ee-er like that!

#36 Posted by NUCLEAR_CHIRON (19 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=4TgWXnoiw3Q

I'm very sorry for not embedding this right, but it was too important to wait for my phone to work. And yes, Degrassi is better than ever and is consistently very funny and I hope Clare doesn't die and also where is Darcy?

#37 Posted by NUCLEAR_CHIRON (19 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=4TgWXnoiw3Q

I'm very sorry for not embedding this right, but it was too important to wait for my phone to work. And yes, Degrassi is better than ever and is consistently very funny and I hope Clare doesn't die and also where is Darcy?

#38 Edited by villainy (556 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan: I approve of your insert gif vs. drag and drop gif use. Clicking adds the necessary official dramatic effect.

Jay and Silent Bob were once on some sort of Degrassi. I pronounce it Degrahssi. That is the extent of my knowledge here. Have a nice day!

#39 Edited by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -

@nuclear_chiron: Darcy is still doing humanitarian aid work in Africa. They've referenced her offhandedly a few times in the last few seasons, so she still exists.

#40 Edited by Animasta (14671 posts) -

I mean if you want to talk about proper TV exports from Canada, Orphan Black is the best (I just watched it all it's so goddamn good UNF)

(besides, skins is better than degrassi)

#41 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1288 posts) -

fuck Degrassi

#42 Edited by jsnyder82 (730 posts) -

I mean, what happened with Manny and Emma? They just kind of dissolved into nothingness I guess. The last time I ever saw an episode was in 2008, because my roommate was a girl.

#43 Posted by NUCLEAR_CHIRON (19 posts) -

@sor_eddie: Well yeah, but Clare is going to die! It just seems strange she isn't there. At least it is better than when Spinner had cancer and his sister had just stopped existing.

#44 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5405 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

I think the way he had it was intentional/perfect actually. That deceptive smile in the still, followed by Jeff's response. Awesome.

@villainy said:

@themanwithnoplan: I approve of your insert gif vs. drag and drop gif use. Clicking adds the necessary official dramatic effect.

#45 Posted by NUCLEAR_CHIRON (19 posts) -

@jsnyder82: They got phased out over time after they graduated. The show is actually really good about not being about a bunch of 25-year-olds that hang around a high school.

#46 Edited by Animasta (14671 posts) -

@jsnyder82: They got phased out over time after they graduated. The show is actually really good about not being about a bunch of 25-year-olds that hang around a high school.

they do this on glee all the time

#47 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

Woo Degrassi!

I don't really have much of a comment after that. I un-apologetically love that stupid, stupid show.

#48 Posted by Animasta (14671 posts) -

@butler said:

Woo Degrassi!

I don't really have much of a comment after that. I un-apologetically love that stupid, stupid show.

never feel any shame for watching stupid stupid shows.

Pretty Little Liars 4 lyfe

#49 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@sor_eddie: Where in the podcast do they talk about it? I don't remember him pronouncing it any way but de-grahssy.

#50 Edited by Branthog (7510 posts) -

I mean, "Degrossi"? There's not even a f'ing letter O in it, Jeff! Why would you say it that way?

And he said it multiple times and the rest of the Bomb squad started saying it that way too. I'm way angrier about this than I really should be!

To be fair, it's pretty gross and the cast is pretty gross (not personally, but in that 1980s way that only a show like Degrassi was able to capture). Honestly, I'm surprised how many people under 30 or 35 have even heard of Degrassi. When I saw it a few times on TV in the late 80s / early 90s, I was pretty sure even *I* was probably a late-comer to it.