Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@branthog said:

@sor_eddie said:

I mean, "Degrossi"? There's not even a f'ing letter O in it, Jeff! Why would you say it that way?

And he said it multiple times and the rest of the Bomb squad started saying it that way too. I'm way angrier about this than I really should be!

To be fair, it's pretty gross and the cast is pretty gross (not personally, but in that 1980s way that only a show like Degrassi was able to capture). Honestly, I'm surprised how many people under 30 or 35 have even heard of Degrassi. When I saw it a few times on TV in the late 80s / early 90s, I was pretty sure even *I* was probably a late-comer to it.

uh, it came back in 2001 and has been going ever since.

NUCLEAR_CHIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@animasta: He was talking about Degrassi Junior High, and that aired in the 80s and into the 90s as Degrassi High. It's part of the same continuity though with a lot of the kids from the old show being adults in the new stuff.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53  Edited By Branthog

@animasta said:

@branthog said:

@sor_eddie said:

I mean, "Degrossi"? There's not even a f'ing letter O in it, Jeff! Why would you say it that way?

And he said it multiple times and the rest of the Bomb squad started saying it that way too. I'm way angrier about this than I really should be!

To be fair, it's pretty gross and the cast is pretty gross (not personally, but in that 1980s way that only a show like Degrassi was able to capture). Honestly, I'm surprised how many people under 30 or 35 have even heard of Degrassi. When I saw it a few times on TV in the late 80s / early 90s, I was pretty sure even *I* was probably a late-comer to it.

uh, it came back in 2001 and has been going ever since.

... WTF. Why would anyone bring that crap back?! I thought we did away with "after school special" shows in the mid 90s?!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My dad's a hard ass ex navy guy and one time I caught him watching Degrassi. Sure you were channel surfing old man. Sure. I bet it was because of the lesbians. Also this is hilarious:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tired of Jeff's anti-Canadian agenda. He constantly preaches his northern hate to everyone who will listen.
NO MORE JEFF! NO MORE!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@branthog: soap opera for teens? why wouldn't it come back? I mean after 90210, dawson's creek, etc... they found an audience ready for it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@animasta said:

@branthog: soap opera for teens? why wouldn't it come back? I mean after 90210, dawson's creek, etc... they found an audience ready for it.

Yeah, but Degrassi isn't in the same league as those shows. Those shows, while pretty much crap (well, I don't know anything about Dawson's) are actual shows. Degrassi isn't so much a "soap opera for teens" as it is cheesey PBS, public school "after school special" programming, meant to teach you the woes of doing drugs, hanging out with "bad kids", getting pregnant, having an abortion, or multi-racial dating. I can understand why kids would watch it when they're forced to during class time, but it baffles me why anyone would willingly watch it (especially kids today, who seem a lot more sophisticated about their entertainment).

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would pronounce Degrassi like that too. If you mean there's a vowel with that oh, then yea.

I eat pee-can pie.. I can't think of anything else.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, well I'm offended by the way that Canadians say "pasta" and "garage" and you don't see me whining about it.

NUCLEAR_CHIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog: All those shows deal with those sorts of issues too, but they are way tamer than the stuff on Degrassi. Jeff was totally right when he said how it deals with stuff that would never make it on American network TV. Like whenever I watch new episodes, my mom always says, "That shouldn't be on TV." I also really like the formula and how things just always keep getting worse for everybody. It's almost like a teenage melodrama version of Breaking Bad in that you just watch awful things happen to people over and over.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By GreggD

@mcghee: Let's hang out in my gay-ridge and listen to Rush records while we eat poutine.

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog: Uhh, Degrassi TNG (the relaunched version) has been pretty much receiving universal critical acclaim and awards for the storylines and quality of writing/acting since it started in 2001, with most reviews saying about how much infinitely better of a show it is/was than its American equivalents are. Not to mention daring - you're not going to have an American network show with a female-to-male transgendered main character, let alone a show aimed at teens.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once I had a customer at work tell me I look like a character from Degrassi. I tried to figure out which one, but apparently the show has 8 million characters.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand what's going on here. It is frightening me

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger said:
@demoskinos said:

@themanwithnoplan: Hot protip drag n' drop gifs into the text box to make them play automatically!

I think the way he had it was intentional/perfect actually. That deceptive smile in the still, followed by Jeff's response. Awesome.

@villainy said:

@themanwithnoplan: I approve of your insert gif vs. drag and drop gif use. Clicking adds the necessary official dramatic effect.

Thank you for providing the proper gif to complement my complement of a gif.

Giant Bomb forums. You want prom queens? Fuck you. We got real people. We learned from the best or we'd die like the.. Fuck you. Giant Bomb is here to stay. Say otherwise and you're a human piece of shit.

(Sorry @themanwithnoplan and any other readers no offense intended. I deal with things slowly, hope you understand)

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dad's a hard ass ex navy guy and one time I caught him watching Degrassi. Sure you were channel surfing old man. Sure. I bet it was because of the lesbians. Also this is hilarious:

Loading Video...

That's Degrassi: The Next Generation in a nutshell. Whenever someone isn't doing drugs/cheating/getting pregnant/discovering their sexuality, they're getting stabbed/shot/etc...

It's like High School, but spiced up with two times the amount of drama. So many STDs...

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Look, if anyone knows how to pronounce Degrassi it's the guy whose band wrote not one but two songs referencing it. So just sit back, relax and enjoy the music.

Loading Video...

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started from the bottom

gplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could someone kindly point me to where this discussion takes place?

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gplex: It was on the 07-23-2013 episode of the Bombcast, towards the end of it. It was around the same time they talked about salesrabbit.