I wish I had my own Podcast.

Inverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Inverted

I love the idea of a Podcast, I listen to so many Podcasts each week that I feel like I'm never out of the loop. It sucks that there is a distinct lack of Australian gaming podcasts that deal mostly with the trials and tribulations of PC gaming. 

Aussie PC gamers get the rough end of the stick in just about every way shape and form, I feel like we would have a lot to say.

Inverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Inverted

I love the idea of a Podcast, I listen to so many Podcasts each week that I feel like I'm never out of the loop. It sucks that there is a distinct lack of Australian gaming podcasts that deal mostly with the trials and tribulations of PC gaming. 

Aussie PC gamers get the rough end of the stick in just about every way shape and form, I feel like we would have a lot to say.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By bwooduhs

I've got to agree with you on Aussies getting the rough end of the stick but its just as bad or worse here in New Zealand. Even though our ratings for games are normal we still get the censored Aussie versions.

I also love podcasts.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Grimace

I hate Aussie podcasts - I'm yet to find one with a decent range of people.

We aren't particularly blessed with radio voices in Australia.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Australian Gamer podcast is pretty amusing. 

Also, I really don't know what Australian PC Gamers would have to say other than bitching about pricing, censorship and release dates. That would get old pretty quick.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chokobo

Go do it then.  It isn't terribly difficult to do a roughshod podcast over Skype with CallGraph and just do some editing with Audacity if you feel its necessary.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By Soap
@Chokobo said:
" Go do it then.  It isn't terribly difficult to do a roughshod podcast over Skype with CallGraph and just do some editing with Audacity if you feel its necessary. "
There is already far to many people doing bad amateur podcasts.
Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chokobo
@Soap said:
" @Chokobo said:
" Go do it then.  It isn't terribly difficult to do a roughshod podcast over Skype with CallGraph and just do some editing with Audacity if you feel its necessary. "
There is already far to many people doing bad amateur podcasts. "
I agree, but OP said he wanted his own podcast.  Just giving some knowledge and info about it.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

I just wish people who did amateur podcasts would take five minutes to learn about audio. Compression (and not the file compression kind) is imperative in a podcast where voice volumes fluctuate. Does anybody both to learn about it? No.

In fact, GiantBomb is one of the very few games podcasts that actually appears to go through some post processing and actually, you know, sound good because of it. Congrats Ryan or wheoever produces it.

Rant over.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Jambones
@Chokobo said:
There are tools out there for simple audio authoring. I think the hard part is keeping the quality and structure to a high grade. I think you could do it, man.
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Alex_V
@Soap said:
" @Chokobo said:
Isn't that a good reason to do a better one?
Inverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Inverted

If I found some like minded aussies I would probably give it a shot. 

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By belaraphon

i ran a podcast for a while with my roomate.  it wasn't necessary a gaming podcast but just something we could have crazy discussions and rant about things.  if you are at all interested in it i would say go for it! 

but, make sure you pick a crew that has a similar goal. we started to drift apart in the direction we wanted to take it and now we don't record anymore.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chokobo
@get2sammyb said:

" I just wish people who did amateur podcasts would take five minutes to learn about audio. Compression (and not the file compression kind) is imperative in a podcast where voice volumes fluctuate. Does anybody both to learn about it? No.  In fact, GiantBomb is one of the very few games podcasts that actually appears to go through some post processing and actually, you know, sound good because of it. Congrats Ryan or wheoever produces it. Rant over. "

Agreed.  Post production is a necessity.  Changing levels can only do so much.  and it's a fucking nightmare if one participant fluctuates between being overly loud and overly quiet often over the course of recording or if there's more than one person on a mic.
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Gmanall

I am not with my picky podcasts unless the are done in public but besides that theres no problem .

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By matthew
@Chokobo said:
" @get2sammyb said:

" I just wish people who did amateur podcasts would take five minutes to learn about audio. Compression (and not the file compression kind) is imperative in a podcast where voice volumes fluctuate. Does anybody both to learn about it? No.  In fact, GiantBomb is one of the very few games podcasts that actually appears to go through some post processing and actually, you know, sound good because of it. Congrats Ryan or wheoever produces it. Rant over. "

Agreed.  Post production is a necessity.  Changing levels can only do so much.  and it's a fucking nightmare if one participant fluctuates between being overly loud and overly quiet often over the course of recording or if there's more than one person on a mic. "

Ahh, too true.  So myself and KaosAngel (user on the site here) did 3 episodes I think of a podcast over summer/late spring semester this year.  It was really hard, for the time dif and such.  We used skype, and there's maybe 1 second or so of delay, simply because of the distance.  Had to go through the whole 90-120 minutes again syncing up the timing of it all, changing the voices and such.   It was a nice deal...kinda makes me want to go back and do it again.  Maybe over Christmas break, since he's back in the states now...

It isn't that hard, it just takes time.  I was using Audacity, Wavepad, and Skype.  Simple as that.  Make sure you have a reliable connection and it should be simple enough if you know what you're doing on the computer.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kohe321

I listen to very few podcasts. The only one I never miss a single episode of is the bombcast.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#18  Edited By Soap
@Alex_V said:
" @Soap said:
" @Chokobo said:
Isn't that a good reason to do a better one? "
True, but chances are....
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust

I think it might be cool especially if you use a lot of that incomprehensible Aussie lingo that we Yanks love so much about you.  I'd be interested to know how Yahoo Serious and Paul Hogan feel about the games industry.  Also, in-depth coverage of Australian rules football video games and maybe a few video game related beer drinking games.   Oh and koalas, lots of koalas, dingos and wallabies...and Rachel Hunter.  Let's see, what else do Americans know about Australia?  Um, your toilets flow backwards there, right? 

All joking aside, the number one thing I'd suggest to you about doing a podcast is make certain you learn to edit.  Nothing kills a podcast quicker than poor editing.  Very few people are willing to listen to all the nonsensical banter that goes on in between the "good" parts.  When you get as good as Jeff or Ryan at the craft, then maybe you can get away with derailed conversations, but until then it's important to keep focused on the topic.  That might be impossible while recording, which is why you need to edit out all the fluff.  Also, dump the "uhs", giggle-fits, and dead air.  It might be a good idea to write a few emails to the people who make the podcasts that you enjoy and ask them a few questions.  

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grimace
@PenguinDust said:
" I think it might be cool especially if you use a lot of that incomprehensible Aussie lingo that we Yanks love so much about you.  I'd be interested to know how Yahoo Serious and Paul Hogan feel about the games industry.  Also, in-depth coverage of Australian rules football video games and maybe a few video game related beer drinking games.   Oh and koalas, lots of koalas, dingos and wallabies...and Rachel Hunter.  Let's see, what else do Americans know about Australia?  Um, your toilets flow backwards there, right?   All joking aside, the number one thing I'd suggest to you about doing a podcast is make certain you learn to edit.  Nothing kills a podcast quicker than poor editing.  Very few people are willing to listen to all the nonsensical banter that goes on in between the "good" parts.  When you get as good as Jeff or Ryan at the craft, then maybe you can get away with derailed conversations, but until then it's important to keep focused on the topic.  That might be impossible while recording, which is why you need to edit out all the fluff.  Also, dump the "uhs", giggle-fits, and dead air.  It might be a good idea to write a few emails to the people who make the podcasts that you enjoy and ask them a few questions.   "

Rachel Hunter is a New Zealander  : P
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust
@Grimace:   There's a difference?  ;-D
SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By SgtReznor

Jesus dude, you're here as well?

I have a podcast that I run, but it's not gaming related - I try and jam in some video games references at every opportunity, but I podcast with two gaming n00bs.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rowr
@Inverted said:
" If I found some like minded aussies I would probably give it a shot.  "
My podcast days are kind of behind me, to busy with other stuff now, otherwise i'd be down.
FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By FrEeZe
@Inverted said:
" I love the idea of a Podcast, I listen to so many Podcasts each week that I feel like I'm never out of the loop. It sucks that there is a distinct lack of Australian gaming podcasts that deal mostly with the trials and tribulations of PC gaming.  Aussie PC gamers get the rough end of the stick in just about every way shape and form, I feel like we would have a lot to say. "
Is it the whole podcast you want, or is it the 3-4 friends that you can chat about gaming for an hour with that you want?
Inverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Inverted

I have friends that I chat about gaming with but not on a level that I would want on a podcast.