I'll do the fact checking

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By sub_o

Since fact checking ruins podcast, I'll ruin it for you.

• The Raid, is an Indonesian film, directed by a Welsh director Gareth Evans. The original Indonesian title is 'Serbuan Maut' which literally means 'deadly assault'. The martial art used is called Silat (or pencak silat), pronounced as See-Lut.
  • It seems like Forcible Entry Tool is used by firemen.
  • According to wikipedia, Meconium, or early infant stool,
.... is composed of materials ingested during the time the infant spends in the uterus
  • In the last podcast, Brad mentioned about drinking alcohol / beer with straw will make you drunk faster. This is probably true. Because, by drinking with straw, we're creating vacuum, lowering pressure rapidly. With very low pressure, water and alcohol can boil within room temperature. By drinking with straw, alcohol will rapidly evaporate and rather than being absorbed in our intestine, it will be inhaled thru lung. Thus speeding up the spread of the alcohol in the blood circulation.

PS: I am from South East Asia, so it's highly probable that I know nothing about American culture or events.

PPS: Don't be discouraged by sending emails to the bombsquad, email section is one of my favorites.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sub_o

Since fact checking ruins podcast, I'll ruin it for you.

• The Raid, is an Indonesian film, directed by a Welsh director Gareth Evans. The original Indonesian title is 'Serbuan Maut' which literally means 'deadly assault'. The martial art used is called Silat (or pencak silat), pronounced as See-Lut.
  • It seems like Forcible Entry Tool is used by firemen.
  • According to wikipedia, Meconium, or early infant stool,
.... is composed of materials ingested during the time the infant spends in the uterus
  • In the last podcast, Brad mentioned about drinking alcohol / beer with straw will make you drunk faster. This is probably true. Because, by drinking with straw, we're creating vacuum, lowering pressure rapidly. With very low pressure, water and alcohol can boil within room temperature. By drinking with straw, alcohol will rapidly evaporate and rather than being absorbed in our intestine, it will be inhaled thru lung. Thus speeding up the spread of the alcohol in the blood circulation.

PS: I am from South East Asia, so it's highly probable that I know nothing about American culture or events.

PPS: Don't be discouraged by sending emails to the bombsquad, email section is one of my favorites.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@sub_o said:

So?

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sub_o

@ShadowConqueror: I barely know anything about American pop culture stuff, so can't explain them.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@sub_o: That doesn't seem to be necessary with the facts you listed, or were you referring to future fact checking?

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sub_o

@ShadowConqueror: Yeah, and just in case that anyone ask. And hopefully some others will clarify about it.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shiftymagician

I think I'd be down for a weekly thread of Bombcast fact-checking. Would be hilarious to see which weeks they have an abnormally high amount of untrue information. All in good fun though and not as a means to insult dudes that I love listening to regardless of info inaccuracies.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Benny

I like this thread but it could do bad things to the bomb squad if they catch wind of it.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sub_o

@ShiftyMagician: I am down with that too, considering that the best parts of Bombcast come from their tangential things they talk about, and I am naturally curious about those stuff. It would be good if there's some context. We're all learning new things after all.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By jacksukeru

Nice work, I like this idea.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I approve!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MisterMouse

It seems like it is the fact checking of political debates... very cool.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaggE

Welp, THAT'S a podcast ruined.

Seriously, though, good idea for a thread.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I like this idea. You seem to be going about it the right way as opposed to "you guys are stupid".

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh this is a nice idea. It got my stamp of approval - as long as it is all in good fun of course.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By gkhan

@sub_o said:

I'm gonna have to argue with this one, or at least ask for a proper citation. I don't buy your explanation at all. When you drink through a straw, you are absolutely not creating a vacuum! This is a common mistake, saying "vacuum" when what you really mean is "create a lower-pressure zone". A vacuum has zero pressure and the human body is certainly not strong enough create one. What you are doing by sucking on the straw is lowering the pressure inside the straw, which makes the drink shoot up.

But you don't have to lower the pressure very much. The pressure difference is not that much smaller compared to the outside (drinking through a straw is, after all, very easy!). Now, it's true that water boils at a lower temperature when the pressure is lowered, and it even boils at room-temperature when the pressure is zero. But the pressure is NOT zero, it is just slightly lower! Maybe a teeny-tiny little bit more of the beer evaporates into gas, but only a really tiny amount, not significant amounts that would get you drunker faster.

If it is indeed true that you get drunker faster if you drink through a straw, Brad's explanation is far more plausible! The amount of alcohol in whatever you're drinking is directly proportional to the volume of whatever your drinking, but since you do absorb some alcohol directly in the mouth (assuming that that is true), the rate of absorption from the mouth is directly proportional to the surface area of the liquid you're drinking (since if it isn't at the surface area of the liquid, it doesn't get absorbed). So for the some amount of alcohol, how much of it is absorbed through the mouth is going to be proportional to the ratio between surface area and volume. The higher it is, the more alcohol you're going to absorb directly in your mouth, which means you get drunker faster. Since surface area is a two-dimensional quantity and volume is a three dimensional quantity, that ratio is going to be higher if you take smaller sips instead of big gulps (assuming that the small sips add up to the same volume as the big gulps), which is essentially what a straw does. I could go a little deeper into the math here, but I think I've made my point.

Now, I don't know if this is true that you get drunker faster with a straw. But if it is true, then it is far more plausible that it has to do with surface area/volume ratios and nothing to do with pressure. The pressure differential is so small as not to matter, and it's certainly not a vacuum. If it was, the beer would boil in your mouth! And you would also die, but whatever, you'd die happy.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By gkhan

Also, while we are fact-checking: a hypercube is a general name for a cube in any dimension. You could have a 15-dimensional hypercube, if you wanted.

It is technically true that the little loading thing in Fez is a four-dimensional hypercube (or "4-cube"), but that shape is more properly referred to as a tesseract. Now, again, it's not wrong to call it a hypercube, but it is a little weird: it's like someone saying "a two-dimensional hypercube" instead of saying "a square". It's a rotating tesseract, projected into two dimensions, is what it is.

NB: I've only seen the quicklook of Fez, not actually played it, maybe other cubes show up, but this is what I noticed then.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By NegativeCero

Great, this means I can stop intending to look up the stuff they talk about and promptly forget to.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BisonHero

@ShadowConqueror said:

@sub_o: That doesn't seem to be necessary with the facts you listed, or were you referring to future fact checking?

I think he was saying that for present and future fact checking, he's not going to notice if they screw up something related to American pop culture, but he's more likely to post about general information that they get wrong (and the Indonesian movie they randomly mentioned).

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By Little_Socrates

Man, this is a great idea. Here's hoping this slows the fact-checking ON the show.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I approve of this idea.

Some additional fact checking:

Wizardry was developed by the now defunct Sir Tech until 2001's Wizardry 8, at which time the license fell into the hands of a Japanese company. Since then, there have been several Japanese developed Wizardry games to come out, most of which came out on the PS2 and never reached the states. It really only started incorporating sci-fi elements with Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge. It's also not the only one. Might and Magic also has a lot of sci-fi elements, to the point where in Might and Magic VI and VII your party got straight up laser guns at the end of the game, which of course broke any difficulty the ending segments may have had since you literally could just hold down the A key and a neverending stream of lasers would come out.