#1 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3077 posts) -

I seem to be in a habitual rut where I'm constantly looking for more Giant Bomb content, particularly in the realm of podcasts -- I'm sure many of you share similar sentiments. Recently the idea of a subscription to Whiskey Media's sites cropped up, and at the time I mentioned that I hoped there wouldn't be extra audio or video content allowed to subscribers but not regular users. As I was listening to Slate's Political Gabfest show today (don't ask why I was thinking about Giant Bomb concurrently, I just was) it struck me that in actuality I would be willing to drop a significant amount of bank for a second Giant Bomb podcast; in other words, I've turned one-hundred-and-eighty degrees from my original position. 

Because -- and perhaps this is where the influence came from -- before listening to Slate's Political Gabfest I was listening to an old episode of 1UP.com's GFW Radio, the one where Shawn Elliot does the Heroes of the Web bit mocking a guy who's freaking out about what score Jeff will award Halo 3. This particular episode of GFW Radio, perhaps more so than others, featured a number of personal anecdotes, some related to gaming (like Shawn Elliot's Rainbow Six 3 story), some completely unrelated to gaming (like Shawn Elliot's nasty sanitation stories). Some time later it struck me that I would be willing to pay for a podcast where the Giant Bomb guys recounted old stories from their gaming days. It would be a monthly show, and perhaps only thirty to forty minutes in length, but I'd pay, and I'd listen. Actually, I'm sure it's a positively terrible idea for a show compared to what other podcasts they could conjure up, but still. There are many other ideas, like a Dave Snider Eastern bloc special.

Unfortunately, it's probably highly unlikely that there will be a second podcast in any form because producing podcasts takes a lot of time and a lot of effort. Nevertheless, as far as pipe dreams go it's an interesting one with some potential.

In the unlikely event there was a second Giant Bomb podcast, what would you want it to be?

#2 Posted by Lucien_Lachance (215 posts) -

I've been saying this for a while, but here's my pitch: Bombcast 2: Bomb Harder - Starring Dave, Drew, and Matt. Posted Thursdays.

#3 Posted by Mariek430 (409 posts) -

Jeff, Will, Matt(rorie), and Alex would be awesome for me.

#4 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Vinny, Brad and Dave and Drew. All about PC games.

#5 Posted by dudeglove (8141 posts) -

I've said it before - just have Brad talking to himself for 90 minutes (because everyone else left the office to go to Disneyland for ice cream and locked him in with only recording equipment to keep him company), while we all get to listen to one man slowly have a mental breakdown.

#6 Posted by Jazz (2293 posts) -

Hmm, nice idea. 
Dave, Drew, Matt....and Josh. 
you know, you gotta have 4. For the GB crew... 
and its all about Macs all the time....oh yeah

#7 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

id like a universal whiskey media bombcast with a member from each site on it

#8 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Vinny's Curse Like A Sailor Cast, starring Vinny Caravella.

#9 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

I really don't like the idea of a podcast or any video content only being available to paying members, that seemed to be the exact kind of thing that Giant Bomb was avoiding in the past and I don't want to see it in the future. If there was a second poscast though it would be interesting to listen to them discuss wider subjects from the games industry or specific games in detail.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (22272 posts) -

A new bombcast with Kessler and Babs working off each others sexual chemistry.

#11 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

well it's the slow season. In two months there will be so much content on the site, your eyes will blow up.

#12 Posted by PenguinDust (12600 posts) -

A weekly hour long podcast entitled Leigh Alexander Responds to Your Emails.

#13 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" A weekly hour long podcast entitled Leigh Alexander Responds to Your Emails. "
#14 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3709 posts) -
@Dylabaloo said:
" @PenguinDust said:
" A weekly hour long podcast entitled Leigh Alexander Responds to Your Emails. "
"
+775 Million
#15 Posted by Cramsy (1175 posts) -

I'd pay for one, definitely. Wheres mai giantbombz subss

#16 Posted by JackSukeru (5946 posts) -

Sounds like a stalkarific idea! I'll pay you to tell me about your life! 

I love hearing these stories as much as anyone, but asking people to share their personal stories based solely on being paid to do so sounds...way to creepy. And that's the impression I get from an idea like that.

#17 Posted by Fjordson (2453 posts) -
@Lucien_Lachance said:
" I've been saying this for a while, but here's my pitch: Bombcast 2: Bomb Harder - Starring Dave, Drew, and Matt. Posted Thursdays. "
Fuck yes. This is would be great. Throw Mike in there. Him and Dave are quite the dynamic duo.

More podcasting goodness from GB (preferably free) would be ace.
#18 Posted by JustKamToo (713 posts) -

We just need (!) another endurance run (!) please = )

#19 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Dave, Drew, Matt bombcast? i'm in. Coonce and Mike optional.

Wouldn't have to be a 2hours, leave the news+new releases to Bombcast 1. But an hour of them talking about what they played would be good, maybe some of their own emails.  They tend to play different stuff from the usual crew, Kessler with the JRPGs, Dave with the PC games and Drew? he likes racing right?

#20 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

Personal anecdotes are great and all but that's exactly what they are - anecdotes. Now, I haven't listened to GFW Radio (although I should find the old episodes one day) but for me, personal stories work on Giant Bomb when their either told as an introduction to a podcast or are related to a current game or event. As much as a few on here would like to bleat otherwise I don't think the staff would be so self-serving as to have a podcast dedicated to them telling personal stories. 

Would I pay to listen to it if they did something like it? Yeah, I would because it'd probably be hilarious - unnecessary but still hilarious. Follow them on twitter instead.

#21 Posted by President_Evil (185 posts) -

The main Giant bomb dudes know a lot about old games.  I've always thought it would be fun to hear them do a Retronauts style podcast where every week they discuss a specific retro system/era/game series.  Heck, they could even tie it into the wiki somehow for quests and whatnot.

#22 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

I want a Giant Bomb on... where they get together every week and discuss a random subject.

Like abortion.

#23 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

Here's a radical new idea. These guys have been pumping out so much new content from things like live streams, that why don't they do a Bombcast every single day - a short one, no more than an hour long, with a round-up of gaming news and quick thoughts on games people have been playing, and each day has its own extra part of the show - by which I mean each day features a different segment. Here's how it could work:

Monday - New Releases
Tuesday - Shit Just Got Real - major news stories and serious talk about the industry
Wednesday - Game of the Week - lengthier discussions about the most significant game of the week (if no significant game, then just a longer round-up of games people played)
Thursday - EMAILS!
Friday - Featuring Special Guest... (either someone from the industry, a friend of the show or former co-worker much like the recent podcast with Brian Ekberg, or just another member of the Whiskey crew like Matt Rorie, Alex, Will etc.)

#24 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

I would like them to......do what they are doing now..

#25 Posted by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -

The Bombcast is one of a very small handful of podcasts that I would consider paying for, so if a subscription allowed me to have even more Giant Bomb goodness, then I would probably be down for it. 

#26 Posted by Dpower94 (233 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" I want a Giant Bomb on... where they get together every week and discuss a random subject.  Like abortion. "
This, my good sir, is a TERRIFIC idea.
#27 Posted by uber_schlummie (19 posts) -

Second Bombcast with Ryan and Will, they talk about the 80's for 4+ hours. And maybe Kessler so they can laugh at his knowledge of JRPGs.

#28 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -
@dudeglove: I would listen twice!
#29 Edited by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -

I would listen to a Giant Bomb second string-cast featuring Drew and Dave each week. They could of course bring in extras like Coonce or whoever, but they'd be the regulars. Maybe they could get into some back-end site discussion too.

#30 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Ah GFW Radio was the king of gaming podcasts.

#31 Edited by ebritt (149 posts) -
@VoodooTerror said:

" id like a universal whiskey media bombcast with a member from each site on it "

To go along with our unified accounts, this is perfect!!! 

EDIT: just realised how adverse the world is to paying for anything. This podcast would be torrented to hell in seconds sadly in a similar situation to the giant bomb iphone app. 
#32 Posted by ZmillA (2281 posts) -

Drinks and food tasting, nonstop

#33 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -

I want a weekly hour long podcast about Dave talking about Freespace 2.

#34 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:
" Vinny, Brad and Dave and Drew. All about PC games. "
This!
#35 Posted by ColinRyan (295 posts) -

I'd like a few more game specific podcasts like the metal gear cast. Not every week, just for big releases like SC2, Red Dead etc.

#36 Posted by Count_Zero (301 posts) -
@President_Evil said:
" The main Giant bomb dudes know a lot about old games.  I've always thought it would be fun to hear them do a Retronauts style podcast where every week they discuss a specific retro system/era/game series.  Heck, they could even tie it into the wiki somehow for quests and whatnot. "
Kind of similarly, since the Rebel FM Guys aren't doing their Game Club anymore, it might be nice to apply that concept to this, as a sort of combination of Retronauts with a bit of Game Club. That said, I don't know how much time the Whiskey Media staff would have for a concept like this, both in terms of research, and/or playing an older game for a Game Club. 

As an added little bit though, if they did do this, I wouldn't mind if they brought someone in from one of the other Whiskey Media sites as part of the Game Club series - either behind the scenes staff, like Ethan, Will and company from Tested, G-Man and Sara from Comic Vine, and/or Tom and company from Anime Vice. 

Again, I don't know how well this would work from a time standpoint, so we'll see.
#37 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

As a paying member, I'd like a 24/7 live stream of the office so it's not just a second podcast, it's always a podcast.

#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
"I've said it before - just have Brad talking to himself for 90 minutes (because everyone else left the office to go to Disneyland for ice cream and locked him in with only recording equipment to keep him company), while we all get to listen to one man slowly have a mental breakdown. "

I second this.  I'd be willing to pay to get a (single) podcast of Brad talking to himself for 1 hour and a half.  Perhaps following episodes would feature the rest of the staff talking to themselves.  And then others could be where they're all there together but they talk via typing in Microsoft Sam or something so they all sound like robots and it's all disjointed and stupid.  I'd pay for dumbass special podcasts such as those.
#39 Edited by grhud5194 (166 posts) -

A new podcast with Jeff and Dave talking only about Ice-T, and in a Gary Whitta fashion, Johnny V would occasionally make a guest appearance to talk about orange jumpsuits and Rikers.
#40 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:

#41 Posted by Banjo_ace (118 posts) -
@PenguinDust: yes that sounds awesome
#42 Posted by grhud5194 (166 posts) -

What if they had special edition Bombcasts, much like the Modern Warfare 2 Special Edition one, where they discuss story spoilers for a game.  Those could be exclusive to premium users.
#43 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:
^
#44 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

Wouldn't be a bad idea but between Giant Bomb Cast and Behind the Screened Door aswell as gaming and just generally doing other things I might not find time within the week to listen to a 3rd podcast.
#45 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2998 posts) -

well it's either more content(good idea) for subscribers or no pop up ridiculous ads(bad idea) for subscribers so I like your idea.

#46 Posted by connorbevans (28 posts) -

2 hours of Brad Shoemaker's low-pitched grumbling. Titled: "An Evening With Brad."

#47 Posted by Derachi (96 posts) -

I would like to have a podcast featuring the Whiskey Media developers and designers about the behind-the-scenes stuff at Whiskey Media.

#48 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

Stupendous!