#1 Edited by Steparnicus (32 posts) -

Hey everyone =)

I'm at it again with another theme song!

Since the Dumptruck theme has been a long time coming, I thought I would step in and try my own version. I know @patrickklepek was after something similar to the Home Improvement theme, so I added flutes and cheesy guitar and the likes. Then I added genuine dumptruck percussion, along with the absolutely essential......BEEP BEEP.

Let me know what you guys think, this time I haven't used any copyrighted material and there isn't an existing theme so maybe this one can be used for real?

New and improved(?) version available here!

#2 Edited by csl316 (7963 posts) -

Sick.

#3 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

Too long.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

Too long.

half at the beginning, the other half at the end.

also this is awesome

#5 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

@animasta said:

@winternet said:

Too long.

also this is awesome

Humm... there's no clear brake in the song. It needs some editing if he's turning it into a 2 piece.

#6 Edited by Steparnicus (32 posts) -

@animasta said:

@winternet said:

Too long.

also this is awesome

Humm... there's no clear brake in the song. It needs some editing if he's turning it into a 2 piece.

There is actually, just tried it out and I could easily cut it down to 27 seconds by taking out the repeat and it flows just fine. But if its longer then theres more beeps; and beeps are where it's at. Also, in the format it seems like Patrick talks over the intro music whilst he's introducing the piece, so maybe longer fits better.

and thanks @csl316 and @animasta =)

#7 Edited by Iodine (540 posts) -

You are the best person on this site.

#8 Posted by Steparnicus (32 posts) -

@iodine said:

You are the best person on this site.

No. You are =)

#9 Posted by DarthOrange (3809 posts) -

This is awesome!

#10 Posted by BisonHero (6047 posts) -

@winternet said:

@animasta said:

@winternet said:

Too long.

also this is awesome

There is actually, just tried it out and I could easily cut it down to 27 seconds by taking out the repeat and it flows just fine. But if its longer then theres more beeps; and beeps are where it's at. Also, in the format it seems like Patrick talks over the intro music whilst he's introducing the piece, so maybe longer fits better.

and thanks @csl316 and @animasta =)

Even if there wasn't a clear break, you could just fade it out after like 20 seconds at the start of the podcast, then when the podcast is done, fade in the song starting at around the 10 second mark or something. I've listened to lots of podcasts that just do that exact technique because their intro/outro is not a custom-made 20 second jingle.

#11 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3759 posts) -

Probably too long for an intro but yeah this is super rad. I think if he faded out after the first 10 or 20 seconds it would work.

#12 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

That is dope as fuq. I'd be down to hear that faded into a vocal intro after the first 10-15 seconds.

#13 Posted by JamesJeux007 (467 posts) -

It is awesome ! Maybe a little too long, but still effin' awesome !

#14 Edited by MEATBALL (3016 posts) -

I don't know what a dump truck backing up in the states sounds like, but I was expecting longer beeps, other than that it's fantastic.

#15 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Dude - okay, this is awesome, but yeah... trim it down and it will be PERFECT. Also - there should be an actual BEEP BEEP truck horn either at the start, or replace the flute at the end. :)

#16 Posted by Steparnicus (32 posts) -

Okay duders, there is a redux version on my soundcloud here. (if anyone knows how to embed soundcloud players into this forum then I'd like to know!)

I took out the repeat so it now clocks in at a much more reasonable 28 seconds (the bombcast theme is around 29) and I added some, albeit quiet, truck horns into the mix as well.

In terms of the beeps, it was my understanding that the beeps are a reference to a dumptruck backing up, as in the "don't stay behind this vehicle or you will be killed" kind of beeps rather than "get out of the way of the front of this vehicle or you will be killed" beeps. They are kinda short as I wanted them to fit musically, so maybe that kills the dumptruck authenticity somewhat >_< but I assure you they are taken from a recording of an actual, real life dumptruck.

Thanks to everyone who has listened and said nice things. If anyone has any suggestions for other GB-related tunes I could make then let me know. I'm determined to get something used!

#17 Edited by GIyn (202 posts) -

What if there were more subtle and constent reversing beeps throughout the song, and then at the end there is the big Finale BEEP BEEP

#18 Edited by GIyn (202 posts) -

. If anyone has any suggestions for other GB-related tunes I could make then let me know. I'm determined to get something used!

FLIGHT CLUB - I want a dubstep version of the top gun theme / danger zone

#19 Edited by pyrodactyl (1855 posts) -

This is awesome! To get a more dump truck feel you should put the beeps after the end of the track. They cannot retain their dump truck essence if you try to suround them with music. I think you would get a much better effect with a ''music, music, music, break, beep beep beep, interview'' progression.

#20 Edited by Steparnicus (32 posts) -
@giyn said:

@steparnicus said:

. If anyone has any suggestions for other GB-related tunes I could make then let me know. I'm determined to get something used!

FLIGHT CLUB - I want a dubstep version of the top gun theme / danger zone

Oooh, I'll have a go at that at some point soon =)