• 73 results
yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By yoshimitz707

D: Why all the hate for MM? Jeff is always talking shit about it but as you can see here he even says it's a great game. And he wonders why people ask him what he thought of a game after a review.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@yoshimitz707 said:
" D: Why all the hate for MM? Jeff is always talking shit about it but as you can see here he even says it's a great game. And he wonders why people ask him what he thought of a game after a review. "
Jeff will be Jeff.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

It's all subjective, bro ;)

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

I love Majora's Mask. I know some people don't care for it but whatever. Sure, Jeff gave it a 8.3, which is normally good, but considering Ocarina of Time got a perfect 10... I guess he didn't like it as much by comparison.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I'm guessing everyone still has a problem with time limits, but when you use the Reversed Song of Time it really isn't a problem anymore. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

Ryan gave Mario Kart Wii three stars... still pissed. Sorry, I used to care, but I learned not to. It's the way of the internet.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

When a poisened food item finally comes in the mail and kills Jeff, it will be from a Zelda fan. 
endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By endless_void
@Brendan said:

" When a poisened food item finally comes in the mail and kills Jeff, it will be from a Zelda fan.  "

Lmao I could actually see this happening someday (despite your sarcasm). Not from a zelda fan but possibly a hater (?).  Food poisoning can be quite serious though if severe enough O_o
Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Popogeejo

MM is a very different Zelda and rather bastardly. I can understand why people would dislike it. It really takes a lot of figuring out.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Majora's Mask is a game that I dislike immensely, and as a result I have trouble understanding when people say it's their favorite Zelda game, considering the stuff that makes Zelda good (i.e. the Dungeons) takes backseat to a timer, inane sidequests that practically require a guide, and a generally gimmicky feel.  I would rather play Twilight Princess, and I'm not so hot on that game either (for basically feeling soulless and going through the motions of a Zelda game without any enthusiasm)

Also, consider that Ocarina of Time was the first game Jeff (and thus Gamespot) ever gave a perfect 10, back when a 10 meant something. Using that logic, along with what I just presented above as what people generally dislike about that game, and you will probably understand why Jeff considers that game to be a bummer. But hey, whatever floatest thy boat.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArchScabby

wow he gave it an 8.3?  Jeez that game must be terrible.

mpdebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By mpdebo
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Majora's Mask is a game that I dislike immensely, and as a result I have trouble understanding when people say it's their favorite Zelda game, considering the stuff that makes Zelda good (i.e. the Dungeons) takes backseat to a timer, inane sidequests that practically require a guide, and a generally gimmicky feel.  I would rather play Twilight Princess, and I'm not so hot on that game either (for basically feeling soulless and going through the motions of a Zelda game without any enthusiasm)"
You hit the nail on the head, good show.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm
@ArchScabby said:
" wow he gave it an 8.3?  Jeez that game must be terrible. "
The five point scale obviously lacks the accuracy of the ten point scale. This is clearly a fact.
kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By kerikxi

Does anyone really disagree MM was one of, if not THE weakest game in the series?

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By apathylad

I liked Majora's Mask. I thought the story and tone was much more interesting than what you would see in the typical Zelda game. By the way, you guys should read Jeff's Metal Gear Solid review. While he did give MGS a good score, it doesn't sound like he enjoyed the game. That Majora's Mask review reminded me of it. 

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dysnomia
@kerikxi said:
" Does anyone really disagree MM was one of, if not THE weakest game in the series? "
Yep. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the weakest.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

But what was he talking about when he said "It's like Majora's Mask but good"? What the heck could possibly be like Majora's Mask?

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hourai
@kerikxi said:
" Does anyone really disagree MM was one of, if not THE weakest game in the series? "
I liked it more than OOT. 
TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#19  Edited By TechnoSyndrome
@kerikxi said:
Seeing as it's the greatest game ever made, yes I do disagree.

I'm not really bothered by Jeff hating on Majora's Mask, but I hate that he never explains WHY he hates Majora's Mask. He just throws it out there like it's universally agreed upon that Majora's Mask is a bad game, even though I know plenty of people who agree that it's the best Zelda game.
C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By C2C

Majora's Mask is a divisive game.   

People like the tone and the time travel aspect of it.  

I do not like Majora's mask.  A lot of things in that game felt as if they had little consequence due to its structure.  I also did not like how grim and urgent that game's tone is.   Though I don't think it is the weakest; that dubious award goes to Zelda 2 or one of the CDi games if you're counting those. 

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Catarrhal
@Brendan: The snack items they're being sent are poison. Eight hundred Twinkies? I rest my case.
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By wrathofconn

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game as well, but putting a huge emphasis on whether others subscribe to your way of thinking leads to stuff like the Crusades.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I like Majora's Mask. Never finished it, but I'm going to someday. It's a unique entry in a series that gets ragged on for being the same thing every time, and I think it does some things that really work with the time travel system. But I also love the timed dungeon runs in Phantom Hourglass that everyone hated so I guess I'm crazy.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By beej

I liked MM, but then again I did play it  years ago, right after coming off of a sweet experience with OOT so maybe the game might have made my happy by allowing me to run around as link.  I almost feel like Majoras Mask gets held to a high standard because of its predecessor though.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FunExplosions

He gave Ocarina of Time a solid 10. That was unheard of when that game came out. I think his Zelda-review fan-hate can forever be shelved because of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LTTP will always have a special place in my heart for when I got it on a rainy day in my youth and was blown away by how good (And BIG the game was. I thought I'd finished it after the first fight with Aghanimh only to din there to be ANOTHER world!), OOT being an absolute revolutionary revelation and WW having a sense of magic and wonderment that charmed the shit outta me; Majora's Mask is probably the most resonant of all the Zelda games for me. 

It taps into some sort of primordial dread mixed with it's twisted take on my beloved Zelda gameplay. Even that BEN creepypasta that's been flowing around the last few weeks hasn't really tapped completely into the "wrongness" MM jars in me. I love it!

I can clearly understand how people don't cotton well to it though. I mean it's far from perfect, but I do feel it gets a bad rap.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
@TheGreatGuero said:
" But what was he talking about when he said "It's like Majora's Mask but good"? What the heck could possibly be like Majora's Mask? "
Dead Rising's timed based premise.
shiptoncraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shiptoncraig
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Majora's Mask is a game that I dislike immensely, and as a result I have trouble understanding when people say it's their favorite Zelda game, considering the stuff that makes Zelda good (i.e. the Dungeons) takes backseat to a timer, inane sidequests that practically require a guide, and a generally gimmicky feel.  I would rather play Twilight Princess, and I'm not so hot on that game either (for basically feeling soulless and going through the motions of a Zelda game without any enthusiasm) Also, consider that Ocarina of Time was the first game Jeff (and thus Gamespot) ever gave a perfect 10, back when a 10 meant something. Using that logic, along with what I just presented above as what people generally dislike about that game, and you will probably understand why Jeff considers that game to be a bummer. But hey, whatever floatest thy boat. "
For the longest time I didn't know what it was about Twilight Princess that didn't sit right with me, the closest I could think was that it had lost the old "Zelda magic".  Seeing your post makes me realise that TP was infact soulless.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" But what was he talking about when he said "It's like Majora's Mask but good"? What the heck could possibly be like Majora's Mask? "
Dead Rising's timed based premise. "
Man. Not cool, Jeff. Not cool.
DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By DriveupLife

Majora's Mask did everything Ocarina of Time did, and better. People are whiny babies about time limits, I thought the time limit was very much necessary and a great addition. Guys, YOU CAN RESET TIME AS MANY TIME'S AS YOU WANT TO, JUST DON'T LOLIGAG AND CUT GRASS FOR RUPEES THE ENTIRE FIRST DAY. The transformations were brilliant and the funnest part of the game, I felt very powerful as a kid in that Goron mask.

Too lazy to write the other 100 reasons MM rocks

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGremp

OPINIONS OH NO

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By mutha3
@DriveupLife said:
" Majora's Mask did everything Ocarina of Time did, and better. People are whiny babies about time limits, I thought the time limit was very much necessary and a great addition. Guys, YOU CAN RESET TIME AS MANY TIME'S AS YOU WANT TO, JUST DON'T LOLIGAG AND CUT GRASS FOR RUPEES THE ENTIRE FIRST DAY. The transformations were brilliant and the funnest part of the game, I felt very powerful as a kid in that Goron mask.  Too lazy to write the other 100 reasons MM rocks "
Not to mention the part where you can manipulate time to go faster and slower, and the games event based nature only works BECAUSE of the time limit.

I guess if there's any flaw MM has, its that its not idiot-proof. The game expects you to have a at least modicum of sense
jdeano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jdeano

I personally like what Majora's Mask did as it was a unique step up, as another Ocarina couldn't possibly happen. Though when he said it (having made numerous references in the past to not liking it), it felt like he was just tempting all the people who come out every time in defence of MM to do it again. He was being a bit of a troll :p

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By wrighteous86

I really think that most people who hated Majora's Mask just didn't grasp how to play it "correctly" or didn't get far enough to get the time manipulation songs.

I loved the mood, the tone, and the pressure the time limit put on you.  I loved the "Groundhog Day" thing that let you really invest in this small town and it's characters and get to know many different aspects of their personality and help them come to grips with their problems.  It was a very unique game in the Zelda series, and very dark.  Both are reasons that I love it.  I'll grant people expecting OoT 2 were probably disappointed, however.  There was more an emphasis on interacting with characters than completing dungeons, it was dark and opressive rather than an epic adventure, and it didn't involve the Triforce.   I love the regular Zelda games, but I loved that they were brave enough to try something new, and I think the game was much better for it (sorry Twilight Princess).

I think Dead Rising and Bully are two games that have spun-off from Majora's Mask and succeeded it in certain aspects.  Dead Rising has improved on the time-based gameplay, and Bully improved the whole "living with a small group of characters and watching them change and grow as people" aspect.  Guess what?  I love those 2 games, as well, for those exact reasons.

Can you guess what my favorite Zelda game is?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I loved Majora's Mask.  So much.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By ThePickle

Jeff hates a bunch of stuff

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By PerryVandell
@yoshimitz707 said:
" D: Why all the hate for MM? Jeff is always talking shit about it but as you can see here he even says it's a great game. And he wonders why people ask him what he thought of a game after a review. "
I wasn't under the impression that Jeff was being too serious when he said that, and if you sat down with him and asked him, he most likely wouldn't say Majora's Mask was a bad game. But, who knows, his opinion could have changed since it came out (I think in 2000?). Either way, he's entitled to his opinion just as much as the rest of us.
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cwaff

Majora's Mask did something new and interesting and I for one loved it.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Majora is my second favourite Zelda game [after Link to the Past] because it is so odd. The time based mechanics and darker theme really make it stand out. But, I suppose those things also make it an odd beast that everyone will appreciate as much as it deserves to be.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LiquidPrince

In bigger news, am I the only one that didn't know that N64 was getting a disc drive?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Milkman

As soon as he said that, I knew there was going to be a thread about it. But yeah, I don't like Majora's Mask at all. I think a lot of people agree on that. 

As for the review, I think that goes back to whole "Hey, I read your review. So, what did you think of the game?" thing. Back in the day, GameSpot was pretty much just writing "SHOULD YOU BUY THIS GAME?", not "Does the reviewer like this game?". It was a very different time of games journalism and GameSpot was a very different site than Giant Bomb.

Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Buck

I grew up playing it without ever having played OOC, so yeah. I adored it. Probably my biggest achievment in gaming actually is getting all the masks in the game, as a kid, who didn't have internet, and didn't understand a word of english.  
Only hours and hours of gaming and  cooperating with my friends.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By MisterMouse
@Brendan:  Or maybe from a halo fan the way people reacted to his last review 

Either way, a review is a review and people shouldn't take it personally or try to defend a game, many of them didn't even make and at times may not have played yet...
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ajamafalous

My order is WW > MM > the rest (i.e. the ones I don't like).

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By EpicSteve

Majora's Mask made me want to kill myself.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#47  Edited By donutfever

Love Majora's Mask, time travel stuff was awesome, and I got to be a Goron! 

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nail1080

MM is one of the best games ever made! But Jeff has his own opinion, so get over it. 

/thread

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By paradox121
@C2C said:
" Majora's Mask is a divisive game.    People like the tone and the time travel aspect of it.  I do not like Majora's mask.  A lot of things in that game felt as if they had little consequence due to its structure.  I also did not like how grim and urgent that game's tone is.   Though I don't think it is the weakest; that dubious award goes to Zelda 2 or one of the CDi games if you're counting those.  "
I agree. I totally respect what the game was trying to do and it needed to be a divergence from OOT so people didnt moan constantly but it was really really grim. I love me some dark Zelda but this just felt like death was following you around constantly. The whole freaky moon crashing, the screaming as Link changes masks, the general apolocalyptic feel of the last day.  Im presuming people wanted a dark game so Nintendo gave them a DARK game. I think it just scarred me as a child so I dont look upon it too fondly.
Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

@mpdebo said:
" @ArbitraryWater said:
" Majora's Mask is a game that I dislike immensely, and as a result I have trouble understanding when people say it's their favorite Zelda game, considering the stuff that makes Zelda good (i.e. the Dungeons) takes backseat to a timer, inane sidequests that practically require a guide, and a generally gimmicky feel.  I would rather play Twilight Princess, and I'm not so hot on that game either (for basically feeling soulless and going through the motions of a Zelda game without any enthusiasm)"
You hit the nail on the head, good show. "
I agree with everything you both said.