Jeff and Ryan's Pokemon Knowledge

SalCruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SalCruz

Is it just me, or do other people also cringe every time Jeff and Ryan try to talk about Pokemon? Maybe it's just because Pokemon was one of the franchises I grew up with, but it really bothers me when they get simple things like the names wrong.  (HeartRed? Jade Emerald?) Sure, the names are kind of ridiculous by now, but still. The worst thing was that Vinny sincerely didn't know much about it, and they were giving out misinformation (The names, saying there was only Oak and Elm as professors, etc)  
They are professional video game journalists. Even if they don't like the video games (which was evident when they played the new games for Quick Look and mentioned all of Pokemon's trademark gameplay as things they wish they would change) , they could at least go and look the games up on their own site and learn the basic plot points.  

I know it was a candid thing on the Bombcast, and that it seems like i'm b*tching over nothing, but this really is the only franchise they seem to always make gaping mistake, and I was wondering if any other Pokemon fans get annoyed at the duo's blunders

remaininlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By remaininlight

snore(lax)

MyNameIsJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MyNameIsJoe

Relax dude

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I bet they know what a Pikachu is.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By rjpelonia

Eh. Some people don't like Pokemon. Pretty sure the extent of their Pokemon knowledge is Treecko and that's it. But yeah, wish they didn't go slingin' information they didn't completely know. Oh well. What're you gonna do.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Julmust

It truly makes my blood boil!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
@SalCruz: Nah, I don't get annoyed. They weren't kids when those games started coming out, so naturally we have more fondness for the series. 

I agree with them about what they said in the SS/HG QL. I think that they do need to make some big changes to the series to reduce the clunkiness. Black and White look to be mixing things up quite a bit though.
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By TehFlan

I got more of a laugh out of it than anything, honesty.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By Soap

As a pokémon fan it does make me want to just chime up and tell them what they got wrong, but at the same time I can totally see why they wouldn't know it. They weren't are age when it came out. It wasn't there fad. 

Plus they know a lot of junk I would neeeeever have any clue about.

SalCruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SalCruz
@Soap: Yeah, I guess it's more so that i wish i could just somehow magically correct them mid-podcast, and less that I'm genuinely angry.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By I_smell

Yeah that's a good point. It'd be like expecting us guys to know about all the Game Room games that come out; Jeff n Ryan know all sorts of crazy shit about games, just not Pokemon. They also don't like Final Fantasy or pretty much any PC games, and Ryan doesn't like Fighting games one bit.

I don't think it's their duty to look up this stuff and I don't think they care enough about Pokemon fans to make a big effort. 
And tbh I was right on-target for when Pokemon Red n Blue came out, and the last one I played was Yellow.
I bet they got a whole bunch of emails.

dieguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dieguy
@SalCruz said:
 They are professional video game journalists. Even if they don't like the video games (which was evident when they played the new games for Quick Look and mentioned all of Pokemon's trademark gameplay as things they wish they would change) , they could at least go and look the games up on their own site and learn the basic plot points.    
I was with you until you said this, I really don't think they need to know everything about Pokemon to be good games journalists.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By rjayb89

JEFF AND RYAN DROOLZ, POKEMON ROOLZ

SalCruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SalCruz
@dieguy: I didn't say it made them bad journalists, but there's nothing too extreme about knowing basic information about one of gaming's most popular franchise. It's not like I'm complaining that they didn't know about Effort Values or the probability of finding a shiney pidgey.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't really care, but it was funny when they were talking about it without knowing much about it.  They should avoid something awkward like that in the future, I think.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By gla55jAw

Yeah, sure I knew that Leaf Green is the remake of Blue and FireRed is the remake of Red but who cares?

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By koobz

Yo, the podcast is just some dudes talking about their personal thoughts on video games.  It's not BBC World News.  They don't need to research or fact check,  they don't need to pretend to love every franchise.  The Bombcast is for listening to some bros talk about Starcraft 2, weird drinks nerds sent them in the mail, and stupid WiiWare titles.

I think you're expecting too much PokeLove of grown-ass men.  They have apartments and girlfriends and car payments and day jobs.   They need to know about dozens if not hundreds of developers, franchises, business deals, release dates, and other bullshit that none of us care to know about in addition to being normal people with lives.

The podcast is just a casual chat.  It's usually mostly jokes about how dumb games are.  Don't sweat it, duder.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

I do get super annoyed whenever they try to talk about Pokémon because it's clear that they know little to none, but I'm not going to insult their journalistic skills.

I just wish they wouldn't throw around their misinformation as fact, because I'm pretty sure they said more things that were wrong than right the last time they were talking about Pokémon on the Bombcast. I think it'd be better for one of them to just say "Dude, I don't know, ask me anything about Pokémon," respond with "Koffing," and then leave it at that and move on, instead of engaging in what turns out to be an awkward and embarrassing conversation.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1

YO LET'S TALK ABOUT KOFFING!!

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Aounslaught

Whenever the subject of Pokemon comes up, pure comedy ensues.   
If you care enough to listen to the Bombcast, you should know that whenever they say, "Ask me anything about...", they clearly don't know anything, thus should not be taken seriously. It's just them goofing off. And if you don't like these guys goofing off, then why would you listen to the Bombcast in the first place? 

Regardless, you guys have to admit that Pokemon is a pretty goofy subject to begin with. Knowing the mentality of Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, and Brad, how do you expect them NOT to have fun with something like Pokemon?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60

I cringe more when I'm watching a quicklook and they can't figure out something simple, or keep fucking up something simple. Such as in the Clash of the Titans QL, it took Ryan forever to figure out the simplest of things.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Supermarius

The problem is that the Pokemon games are very good and the crew does not acknowledge that. If they think that the games are not good, then they are straight up wrong and it sucks to think that professionals like them could have such severe blindspots.  They do though.

DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By DrFidget

The kidding around on the bombcast doesn’t really bother me because they make no claims as to knowing a lot about Pokémon. If you should be pissed at anyone it’s the crew from ign that was twice as uninformed about the games on their podcast, even though they had just spent a week in Hawaii covering the Pokémon World Championships. Seriously all they knew was the name of the winner and spent the rest of the time making bad ethnic jokes. They made the Jeff and Ryan look like fucking experts.    

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@RE_Player92 said:

" YO LET'S TALK ABOUT KOFFING!! "

Word. Koffing is boss.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Tentacool story, slowbro!
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@CL60 said:

" I cringe more when I'm watching a quicklook and they can't figure out something simple, or keep fucking up something simple. Such as in the Clash of the Titans QL, it took Ryan forever to figure out the simplest of things. "

Read a Persona 4 strategy guide and then watch the endurance run while trying not to cringe.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Vinny_Says
@SalCruz: wait so you're a young dude who gets a pokemon, fights other gym owners and then wins the pokemon tournament isn't the plot point of every single one of those games?
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By WickedCestus

Dude, I love Pokemon too. But, they're 30 year olds, how much do you expect them to know about Pokemon? I think it's funny when they get it wrong.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BunkerBuster

Did anyone else just remember what a giant piece of shit Pokemon was. Man, those games were terrible.