Jeff, Brad I accept your challenge

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By StaticFalconar

After hearing the bombcast for this week, I have come to the realization that Fighting games as a whole is as Ryan puts it, only becoming more niche. With constant people on the forums asking for help lately and enough email bombardment to make it on the bombcast emails even, it seems we are at revitalization of the fighting game genre it seems.

However I realize I am old, when there are so many new young gamers that are trying to get into the fighting game genre now.

So just as Jeff had briefly tried to explain to Brad on the bombcast about fighting game mechanics; I am going to make a general guide that will hopefully help out those that truly need it.

To be original my guide will not be specific to any one fighting game so it will not have how to do fighting moves or how to be cheap, etc. What I aim to do is give the readers a crash course to the fighting game genre as a whole.

So while I am going to take what Brad asked on the bombcast and what I think most people would have a hard time getting heads around as a starting point; I am definately open to any questions that any noobs to the fighting game genre has. I will probably be done enough to get a first publish draft by the end of the week; til then chime in on anything you feel you don't get about fighting games, and I'll see how much I can incorporate it in the guide.

EDIT: My guide is now up and I've attached it to just about every fighting game I have ever played, just because.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By StaticFalconar

After hearing the bombcast for this week, I have come to the realization that Fighting games as a whole is as Ryan puts it, only becoming more niche. With constant people on the forums asking for help lately and enough email bombardment to make it on the bombcast emails even, it seems we are at revitalization of the fighting game genre it seems.

However I realize I am old, when there are so many new young gamers that are trying to get into the fighting game genre now.

So just as Jeff had briefly tried to explain to Brad on the bombcast about fighting game mechanics; I am going to make a general guide that will hopefully help out those that truly need it.

To be original my guide will not be specific to any one fighting game so it will not have how to do fighting moves or how to be cheap, etc. What I aim to do is give the readers a crash course to the fighting game genre as a whole.

So while I am going to take what Brad asked on the bombcast and what I think most people would have a hard time getting heads around as a starting point; I am definately open to any questions that any noobs to the fighting game genre has. I will probably be done enough to get a first publish draft by the end of the week; til then chime in on anything you feel you don't get about fighting games, and I'll see how much I can incorporate it in the guide.

EDIT: My guide is now up and I've attached it to just about every fighting game I have ever played, just because.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

good for you!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Endogene

I started making a list of concept all related to fighting games so that it would easy to just take the list while playing a game and just add the concept that are on it to the game page while playing. You might want to link to these different concept  in your "challange" and perhaps fill out their actual concept pages since most of them are pretty empty.

link: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/endogene/list-of-fighting-game-concepts/30-15120/ just reply to that blog post and i will add/change stuff in it.

The whole thing:

Here is a list of common game play concept used in fighting games:

(This list is a work in progress and its aim is to help us add the correct concept to fighting games, i will update this list with your suggestions)

Attacking

• Can the player shoot of projectiles such as fireballs ? If so: Projectile

• Is it possible to chain attack together in a way that the opponent can not counter attack? if so: Combo

• Are there special attacks other than the standard kicks and punches like a fireball for example? if so: Special Attack

• Is it possible to charge up a meter that once full will release an extremely powerful attack? if so: Super Meter

• Is it possible to start an attack and to transform it into another attack? if so: Animation Cancelling

• Can you grab your opponent when he is close to you? if so: grapple

• When you and your opponent are both in the air can you grab them? if so: Aerial Grapple

Counter-Attack

• When you are guarding and a opponent attacks you is it possible to nullify his attack? if so: Guard Cancel

• When a opponent is attacking and you are not guarding is it possible to nullify his attack? if so: Parrying

• When taken a good beating can you trigger a special power up that will boost your attack? if so: Revenge Meter

Defence

• When you attack an opponent and he is guarding does he still takes a small portion of the damage? if so: Chip Damage

• (not sure if we should keep this one)? If so: Ducking

• Is it possible to block an opponent? if so: Block

• Is it possible to block attacks whilst in the air?: Needs concept page

• Is it possible to evade an opponent attack?(needs some clarification) if so: Dodge

• when airborne can you evade an opponent attack.(needs some clarification) if so: Aerial Dodge

Movement

• Can you jump? if so: Jump

• Is it possible to jump whilst airborne? if so: Double Jump

• Is it possible to sprint towards your opponent? if so: Dash

• Is it possible to side step/circle around your opponent? (needs clarification) if so: Side Step

Other

• Is it possible to taunt the opponent? If so: Taunt

http://www.giantbomb.com/health/92-130/

http://www.giantbomb.com/death/92-725/

http://www.giantbomb.com/single-plane-gameplay/92-2480/

multi-plane gameplay

http://www.giantbomb.com/character-select-screen/92-2125/

Double KO

Flawless victory

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

Ok, I got a first draft written, but with more people complaining on the forums, its giving me more ideas on expanding and adding more sections. Maybe I'll post a first version of it sometime over the weekend, just to receive some feedback (and if it turns out nobody reads it <judging by the "massive" amount of suggestions I got so far... lols>, I just might drop this project at that version).

Endogame, I thought about filling in those sections, until I realized I had read other wikis (and forums that subsequently got turned into wikis) on most of those specific topics (hence how I learned them). Anything I write would be second rate compared to the personal devoted wikis and FAQs on those topics. Also, seeing as how I learned from the other websites, it would (again to point this out) be too close to the source material that I would either mess up explaining something or cross the border and plagerise off them. You as a mod and the GB crew as journalist wouldn't be too happy with that.

The guide I plan to write is mainly original with credit clearly given to those that deserves it. My plan is for a guide, not a technical manual.