Just listened to your 09-Feb-10 bombcast mentioning facebook...

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By WickedCobra03

...and I am one of those people I guess you could say are getting bent out of shape about this.  Okay, so like I said in a previous post when someone mentioned "how do you like the new site?"; I just said, "I hardly use facebook as it is right now, and here, I will use that integration crap even less".  But now this where all this social networking crap is popping up everywhere kind of slapping you in the ass of sorts and saying "psssst, hey, hey, come on little guy, just one click here and you can promote your nerdism all over facebook as well as promoting this news story.  Now I already digg stuff(add a button for all that crap and I am out) myself if I feel that it is really something worth noting or different without someone having to remind me every post I make or every news story I read.

Now I am not furious about this, but do people really do this stuff?  It seems like the people who do this are the people who don't know how to bypass those invites when they add an application to their facebook and then that application wants to add 25 of their friends to use that application.  Yeah, 13 year old girls.  I tend to think that gamers are a bit more savvy and think about it before twitter-vomit.  

Now Giantbomb, just think about your buddy Lar-bear aka Major Nelson and his daily twitter-vomit fests; now you wouldn't want to have any of your users be associated in that same vein, now would you?

No Caption Provided
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

I don't use it either but really... I don't see the problem.  It is pretty easy to ignore that when it pops up.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube

Get the FUCK over it.  Don't like it, go to another site.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

it's unintrusive, opt-in and very well done. 

I don't personally use it but kudos to the coders who slaved over it, it's damn fine work.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I use it pretty often. Although i fail to see why it's needed here.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WickedCobra03
@Cube said:
" Get the FUCK over it.  Don't like it, go to another site. "
Hey, make sure people respond to your post by using swears.

Oh, jeez pal, yeah, I guess that stuff works on me.  I just replied... dag nabbit.  On a more serious note; that huge baby-blue bar does not really mesh well with the site aesthetics either...that is like design 101.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Dave has already said they'll be adding an option to turn the facebook messages off once they've squashed the bugs related to the update.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Cube
@WickedCobra03 said:
" @Cube said:
Hey, make sure people respond to your post by using swears.   Oh, jeez pal, yeah, I guess that stuff works on me.  I just replied... dag nabbit.  On a more serious note; that huge baby-blue bar does not really mesh well with the site aesthetics either...that is like design 101. "
I couldn't give a shit if you respond to me or not, "pal".
WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WickedCobra03
@MattyFTM said:
" Dave has already said they'll be adding an option to turn the facebook messages off once they've squashed the bugs related to the update. "
Thank you matty for at least being civil in your comment.  I mean I am not trying to bash GB guys because I love them, but I know there are so many sites I have already left because of this whole social networking phase.  

Hey, guys remember flash back in about 2005 when everyone thought that was the future and I was just a hater for not being totally behind that...well in 2010, we see how well your all flash sites worked out.
Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Moridin

So, you'd leave an awesome site and awesome community because of the option to do something? That seems a little harsh to me. 

If you don't like it, don't use it. It's not like it's making you click the button. The reason they added it is because some people would use it.

Edit: I misread, and see that you meant a Digg button would force you away. But the point still stands. Is it really worth giving up all the awesome content and stuff here because they give you the option to Digg an article or news story?

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jrad

That's hilarious, it really is. You'd leave if they implemented a Digg button? Seriously? You can't get much more juvenile than that.

I don't like the huge 'connect' button at the top, but it's not like it's menacing. It's not actively antagonizing me, it just looks bad. There's no need for it to be on every page, either. It should be hidden away like the 'link your gamertag' option.

SPEAKING OF WHICH.

Why is it easier to link your facebook account than your gamertag on a primarily gaming website?

But yeah. I don't think you could possibly overreact more.

priorityseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By priorityseven
@WickedCobra03 said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" Dave has already said they'll be adding an option to turn the facebook messages off once they've squashed the bugs related to the update. "
Thank you matty for at least being civil in your comment.  I mean I am not trying to bash GB guys because I love them, but I know there are so many sites I have already left because of this whole social networking phase.    Hey, guys remember flash back in about 2005 when everyone thought that was the future and I was just a hater for not being totally behind that...well in 2010, we see how well your all flash sites worked out. "
So no sites use flash now?  What are you talking about? 

I don't see a point in this thread of yours other than some aimless bitching about a feature that you're in no way required to use.  Seriously, get over it.  Or better yet, since you mention the "so many sites I have already left", add GB to your list.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By gingertastic_10

No Caption Provided
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FireBurger

The worst thing you can complain about is the aesthetics. You absolutely cannot claim it is stupid, useless, etc., since it is completely opt-in.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15  Edited By natetodamax

Oh, no! There is a button that people click to connect to Facebook but I don't want to connect to Facebook so now this entire site sucks and my life is ruined!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive

I Like Turtles. 

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Driadon

I'm glad there's going to be an option. This isn't something that'd I'd really be very vocal about, but it doesn't look terribly appealing.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By gingertastic_10
@TwoOneFive said:
" I Like Turtles.  "
Turtles are pretty cool.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By august
@MattyFTM said:
I'm pretty sure he said he might, not that he would.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By yakov456

Why would anyone care? Does this hamper reading posts, browsing the site, posting things?  Who gives a shit, who gives a fuck.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By blair
@Cube said:

Agreed 100%.  These complaint threads are outrageous. 

Do you know what else 13 year old girls do?  They complain... about everything.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't really see the huge problem.  I mean, it's not that hard to just ignore.

ArchV1le

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By ArchV1le

I can't even focus long enough to respond to this thread...that button is antagonizing and distracting me. LEAVE ME ALONE FACEBOOK!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@august said:

" @MattyFTM said:

I'm pretty sure he said he might, not that he would. "
He said "probably" and "likely within a week or so". So yeah, it's nothing definite, but it is on their to-do list for the immediate future.

Personally I think there are far more important things to do than provide this option, but if the community are demanding it so much, I guess they'll have to deal with it.
Maxism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maxism
@MattyFTM said:
That is great! Options are always welcome. Now instead of some douche yelling at people to "GTFO" out of the site if they don't like a feature, they can yell at people to to turn the option off, and then "GTFO."