• 149 results
Edited 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: Leaning Back On Airplanes = Asshole? (542 votes)

Yes 70%
No 30%

Hold the fuck on. Ryan's declaration that leaning the seat back on planes makes you an asshole confounded me. First of all, it's a built-in feature - is there some unspoken agreement that no one is allowed to use it? Second of all, it's like 5 degrees of lean-back - I don't know how that could possibly be that offensive to the person behind me.

Am I misunderstanding something, or is Ryan the asshole for being a control Nazi?

#1 Posted by TAFAE (156 posts) -

Qualifying my yes with a couple things, namely that going back like one or two notches is okay and feel free to go nuts if there actually doesn't happen to be anyone behind you. If, however, you decide to do even that small amount of leaning back during a part of the flight where the person behind you has a drink on their tray, you are an asshole.

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3778 posts) -

FART RYAN DAVIS

It's built in, use it. And then, smile at that person every couple of hours. :)

#3 Edited by casper_ (908 posts) -

its there but its a bit fucked up. you are making your experience better by directly making someone else's worse. i don't use it because of that reason but i don't get too bummed out or hold it against them when someone does it.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

As someone with long legs and thus not much legroom to begin with, I can attest that anyone that leans back in their airplane seat is an asshole. Also a dipshit.

#5 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Nope, Ryan is right. Especially when you're like "hey I'm gonna go grab my headphones out of my bag under the seat or something" but OOPS NO JACKASS IN FRONT OF YOU DECIDES FUCK YOU I'M LEANING BACK AND NOT EVEN GOING TO SLEEP.

#6 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Leaning back on an airplane makes you an asshole.

Being fat on an airplane makes you an asshole.

having kids on an airplane makes you an asshole.

Having oversized baggage on an airplane makes you an asshole..

#7 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Leaning back on an airplane makes you an asshole.

Being fat on an airplane makes you an asshole.

having kids on an airplane makes you an asshole.

Having oversized baggage on an airplane makes you an asshole..

So what you're saying is, airplanes are shit?

#8 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Airplanes are the real assholes.

#9 Edited by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

FART RYAN DAVIS

Your smile would just make me angrier.

#10 Posted by Sinusoidal (1803 posts) -

I say asshole, but it needs a qualifier. Overseas/long flights will have a "night time" when they turn off the lights and shutter the windows. Everybody reclines and grabs whatever semblance of sleep they can. This is the intended time for the recline function of your seat. Outside of this "night time", at least ask the person behind you first if it's OK if you recline.

#11 Posted by takayamasama (440 posts) -

As someone who is 6 foot 5 inches, if the person in front of me reclines then I label them as an asshole. I can barely fit on most flights sitting up as straight as possible.

#12 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -
@casper_ said:

you are making your experience better by directly making someone else's worse.

Exactly. Anyone that leans back is an inconsiderate piece of shit.

#13 Edited by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

There's already no space as is. Leaning back just makes it worse for the person behind you. It's really the fault of the plane design, but just don't do it.

#14 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

As soon as those cabin lights dim I lean all the way back and go the fuck to sleep. Airplanes are hell. Deal with it.

#15 Edited by Soap (3641 posts) -

I'd say worse than asshole.

If you lean back in your chair on a plane I should be within my right to just stab you right in the top of the head right there. Dick move #1 for sure.

#16 Edited by UlquioKani (1181 posts) -

You don't have the right to my space. You take it, you're an asshole.

#17 Edited by Levius (1228 posts) -

As someone who has flown to Australia and back to the UK, with people having the chair back most of the way, yes you are an asshole.

#18 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

You're not misunderstanding anything, anyone who leans back is an asshole.

#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

You're fully aware that the space is limited per person and that the plane is packed with people. It is impossible not to know that.

You are an absolute prick if you lean back more than just a little.

#20 Posted by Humanity (10065 posts) -

Sometimes the person in front of you leans far back forcing you to lean back as well to get more space - ensuing a chain reaction of assholness.

#21 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

Good to know that 25% of you are assholes.

#22 Posted by Nickieroonie (135 posts) -

Unless they can design chairs that don't fuck over the person behind you, then yeah you're an asshole.

#23 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

If there's someone behind you and you lean back then you can fuck off. People that do that are officially assholes. I don't have enough leg room as it is on airplanes

#24 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I usually buy two seats when I fly, because I am fat, So am I an asshole, for being fat? Or am I the nicest guy ever for saving the guy next to me from total discomfort for the next 5 hours?

#25 Edited by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

Especially Fat Joe

#26 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@cloudenvy said:

Especially Fat Joe

Nice.

#27 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

It's like trying to fit in the back seat of a Fiesta as an adult. With the front seat back. And reclined.

Most planes are packed like sardines (I suppose unless you're riding first class).

#28 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

I now have a chair right in my fucking face for the next few hours, my legs are even more restricted, i'm also getting a close up of this dudes scalp and if I need to go to the bathroom and I dont have an aisle seat I better hope to god the person next to me is awake and/or a professional contortionist.

A lot of it depends on the plane and the degree to which they recline, but anyone who's been on a lot of planes will have a horror story that makes them hate the the fact that the seats are built that way at all.

#29 Posted by Captain_Insano (1563 posts) -

As someone who has flown to Australia and back to the UK, with people having the chair back most of the way, yes you are an asshole.

Agreed. Especially if they don't do at least the cursory apology or look first. Being tall I'm stuffed. I find I just hit my knees into the seat quite hard and they get the hint. I never recline as it's a dick move.

#30 Posted by Kazona (3096 posts) -

If it's daytime and the person leans back without checking with the person behind them first, then yes they're an asshole.

If, however, it is night, you're on a long flight, and you want to get some sleep, then you are not, in any way, an asshole if you lean your chair back.

#31 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

If you fly (decent) business class, or first, it's not being an asshole.

Overnight flight with sleepy time? - not an asshole.

Leaning all the way back while they are serving food? - asshole.

Normal conditions? - not cool, but calling the person an asshole for that is going too far (even if I don't like it, nor do it personally). But then I'm generally a nice guy.

#32 Posted by leebmx (2235 posts) -

I always ask before I do it, and if it looks like it the person is going to be really pissed off then I probably won't. However its there to use so most of the time I will, however I don't mind if the person in front of me uses his. The planes I have been on it never seems like that much of a big deal - I don't really get why it would piss people off so much.

#33 Edited by 9cupsoftea (651 posts) -

Fuck you if you lean back on an aeroplane. I will 'accidentally' kick the shit out of your chair the whole flight if you do that.

#34 Edited by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

I've always thought of this as the unspoken rule of air travel. If you lean back you're a dick, unless its like first class or something and there's appropriate room for everyone involved then yeah, go wild. But generally, flying economy, don't do it.

#35 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Hahahaha, you bought a ticket for the chattel section? Get leaned on, asshole!

#36 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

FART RYAN DAVIS

Your smile would just make me angrier.

I believe that is fully the intention in this situation, and yeah, I would be more pissed off with each subsequent smile too.

#37 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Asshole for sure.

#38 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Yes, 100% yes. They're the fucking worst. Especially if you have a laptop out and are trying to work, and some asshole decides he's going to spend the entire 8 hour flight leaned back, so you can only work with the laptop shoved into your gut.

I've it happen twice now where someone's leaned back so hard and fast that they almost broke my laptop with the seat back.

Also it's always me who ends up with the stupid fuck who leans back, I always encounter them.

I tend to just channel my inner child and use my knees to prop up the seat. I kick too and take lots of bathroom trips if they're trying to sleep. When assholes lean their seat back on me, I use it as an opportunity to take out all my frustrations with air travel in general on one poor soul. Maybe next time I'll bring a mechanical keyboard and clackety clack my way through the whole flight.

#39 Posted by TobbRobb (4841 posts) -

Leaning back is an asshole move for sure. Airplanes are already suffering, don't make it worse.

#40 Edited by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

It causes a fucking chain reaction - once one person has leaned back everyone else behind them has to as otherwise there's no bloody room! Aaaargh angryyyy

#41 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I had my table down with drinks on it and the motherfucker in front of me leaned back and the rest is wonderful history.

#42 Edited by stryker1121 (1583 posts) -

Hell no it's not an asshole move. Airplanes are uncomfortable as hell and leaning a seat back 10 degrees is not infringing on the rights of the person behind you. You people are nuts..

#43 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

http://lifehacker.com/5147317/reclaim-your-airline-seat-space-with-a-water-bottle

#44 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

The last time I was on a plan was when I was five years old so I really have no perspective in regards to this issue, but people should be thoughtful of the person behind them. If leaning back the seat would hinder their enjoyment of the flight, it should not be done.

Simple stuff here, folks.

#45 Posted by Krullban (1062 posts) -

Fuck you, whenever I fly it's always a 15+ hour flight. I'm leaning back.

#46 Edited by Hunter5024 (5962 posts) -

I'm tall enough that I kind of have to lean back to buy myself some room. But I'm also tall enough that if the person in front of me leans back they are scum. My solution is not to fly.

#47 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3808 posts) -

Leaning back causes everyone behind you to lean back as well. Domino effect.

#48 Edited by chilibean_3 (1694 posts) -

I can only assume people who have no problem with it are pretty small. I barely have the leg room as it is normally.

#49 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2107 posts) -

I'll only do it if the person behind me is leaning back.