Listening to the old Bombcasts for the first time

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By takua108

I started listening to the Giant Bombcast after hearing the "NEVER" clip on YouTube from E3 2009, and realizing that this was exactly what i was looking for in a video game podcast. Recently I've had plenty of free time on my hands, so I decided to start listening to the old Bombcasts. I re-listened to the E3 2009 episodes, and, realizing they were great, decided to turn the clock back even further, and start with the first episode with Brad and Vinny. (I know a lot of people say the earlier ones were great, and I'll get around to them at some point, but I really like the group dynamic, so I started there.) I am currently at 11-04-2008 and working my way up (as of 3/8/2010). 

Some observations: 

• Brad actually talks! A lot! It's great!
  • The drink-tasting stuff was pretty entertaining
  • The TGS (i.e. in Japan) episodes were awesome!
  • Ed Boon! Holy crap!
  • You can really tell it was 2008 because Chanspeak was in full effect. Hearing the word "butthurt" for the first time in months highly amused me
  • They're talking about how ridiculous it is that Half-Life 2: Episode Three hasn't come out yet, in 2008
  • "x (is) still a threat" really needs to come back into the modern vernacular
  • Ryan used to be not-so-good at editing the podcasts, sometimes!
  • "Regular-ass milk"

It's also really funny to listen to from today's perspective, because a lot of predictions and speculations that they make become hilarious now. Such as: 
  • Ryan talking about the Avatar game preview at E3 2009, how the guy "jokingly referred to the element in question as 'unobtanium.'" Flash forward to today: "And also, WHAT THE FUCK, UNOBTAINUM?!"
  • "There will be a new Beatles game, powered by Rock Band, but not called 'The Beatles Rock Band.'"

And this is nowhere near all the awesome and funny stuff that I've heard over the past week and a half. Basically, if you're anything like me, and haven't heard any of the older Bombcasts, and you have a lot of free time on your hands, it really is a good way to waste some time. In fact, do yourself a favor: download the podcasts, hit Play in iTunes or whatever, load up the Just Cause 2 demo, and just grapple-hook and parachute around. Sure, you have to restart the game every 30 minutes, but it's actually a lot of fun.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Good luck :D

I need to do this at some point too.

AaronAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AaronAlex

Yeah i love going through the old ones, such good moments in them.  
I miss the regular drink reviews!

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ninja

Ryan used to be better at editing the podcasts in that the earlier podcasts are hilarious but all Bombcasts are hilarious, thats why we love 'em. 

Also if you want to continue your journey back in time with some of the old hotspot episodes featuring our favourite characters then here is a page for you, even i've not listened to all of these. 

http://uk.gamespot.com/features.html?type=features&category=HotSpot
chogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chogi

Rapier and You are the Pokemon are some of my favorite old school gags

Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bloopa79Aus

I Remember hearing one about starcraft 2 might be out late 2008 and a few other funny ones about games that are still not out yet :)

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thebatmobile

I'm playing the Blur Beta while listening to old Bombcasts.