#1 Posted by latros (81 posts) -

So I just finished mass effect 3, and as with any other game I finish, I'm looking to find the bombcasters opinions on it... problem is I haven't been keeping up lately; does anybody know which podcast(s) they talk about ME3? Do they talk about it in multiple? If so, which ones?

Oh and the big question - do they ever discuss the ending?

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

March 6, 13, 20 and I think 27.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (5075 posts) -

The 3 episodes after it was released they talk about it and they don't talk about it again because they were sick of talking about it. Usually the first game they talk about in those episodes so go listen to those ones

#4 Posted by The_Nubster (2130 posts) -

@latros: I don't believe they discuss the ending in-depth, because they didn't finish it all together. Jeff talks about his feelings surrounding the ending, and plenty of talk about the reaction to it, but none of the events are named or anything.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24711 posts) -

They don't really discuss the ending in any detail because they never talked about ME3 in a spoilercast. Primarily because Brad still has yet to actually play the game.

#6 Posted by Bobstar (312 posts) -

@latros said:

Oh and the big question - do they ever discuss the ending?

They mention it, while not talking specifics though. No spoilers if that's what you're talking about. I can imagine with the new ending DLC coming soon, they'll go into further detail with that stuff.

#7 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

They have not discussed the ending with any seriousness. We will be getting our ME3 conversation during GOTY time, I think.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (24711 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

They have not discussed the ending with any seriousness. We will be getting our ME3 conversation during GOTY time, I think.

That's assuming that Mass Effect 3 is even in the running for GOTY, which is nowhere near the guarantee that it might have been the week before its release.

#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

I doubt it's even going to make the top ten list, honestly. And if it does, it'll be pretty low on that list.

#10 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@Napalm: @Hailinel: I mean that in reference to things like "Best Story", "Best Ending", "Best New Character", "Most Disappointing", etc. I am not expecting it to appear on the nominees list for GOTY unless they use the same system they used last year (which would be fine.)

#11 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I will say, if Jeff raves about Black Ops II and fights for it to be the GOTY list, I'm done.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (24711 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@Napalm: @Hailinel: I mean that in reference to things like "Best Story", "Best Ending", "Best New Character", "Most Disappointing", etc. I am not expecting it to appear on the nominees list for GOTY unless they use the same system they used last year (which would be fine.)

The only one of those categories that the game would likely qualify for is Most Disappointing. If Giant Bomb awards or even nominates Mass Effect 3 with either Best Story, Best Ending, or Best New Character, I will buy a hat for the purpose of eating it.

#13 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I will say, if Jeff raves about Black Ops II and fights for it to be the GOTY list, I'm done.

With life? D:

#14 Posted by officervanhalen (86 posts) -

@Napalm said:

It's not even out yet...

#15 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -
@Napalm

@Little_Socrates said:

I doubt it's even going to make the top ten list, honestly. And if it does, it'll be pretty low on that list.

Yeah I doubt that. Someone might have it in their personal, near the bottom. Maybe Jeff mentions Vega in the Best New Character, Jeff seemed to enjoy having him around, but Brad will not accept a 'dudebro'.

Most Disappointing, might get a mention but I think that's Steel Battalion by default. From 'oh man this is exactly what they should've doing' before launch to 'this game by itself ruins a piece of hardware'.
#16 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

@Napalm said:

You're saying that as if the game is already out and you would have some grounds to disagree with him or something.

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I hope it wins GOTY so it upsets some of you babies on here.

#18 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@Napalm said:

You're saying that as if the game is already out and you would have some grounds to disagree with him or something.

Apparently you missed the, "if" in that statement. We will see when it's released, but I think my assumptions might be correct, considering that he's reviewed almost all of the post Modern Warfare COD games, and his apologist response has always been, "but it's still great, you guys!!"

#19 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@Hailinel: @Brodehouse: It will be brought up for Best Story almost certainly, and it will be brought up (at least jokingly) for Best Ending. That said, it's still a better story than the other triple-A titles that've come out this year.

But with the number of times Dead Island showed up during the GOTY conversations, I can almost guarantee that Mass Effect will get its.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (24711 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@Hailinel: @Brodehouse: It will be brought up for Best Story almost certainly, and it will be brought up (at least jokingly) for Best Ending. That said, it's still a better story than the other triple-A titles that've come out this year.

But with the number of times Dead Island showed up during the GOTY conversations, I can almost guarantee that Mass Effect will get its.

I disagree. A good story can be completely wrecked by a terrible ending, and let's face it. At this point, there is no way that one can talk about Mass Effect 3's story without the ending playing a major role in that discussion because that's what people that have invested themselves into the fiction played the game to see. While the path to that ending wasn't necessarily bad in and of itself, it was completely undermined by ten minutes of abject stupidity. It can't be ignored, and the debates over the game's story will be made all the worse once the Extended Cut is released, which isn't even guaranteed to satisfy anyone. For all we know, it could make things worse.

I do not know what games they would nominate for this category; I mean, there's still half a year to get through. But they will not in any sense seriously consider Mass Effect 3 for Best Story. If I am wrong, so be it. I'll eat that crow when the time comes, but for now, I am saying that there is no way that Mass Effect 3 will win or even be nominated for Best Story by Giant Bomb or the majority of other video game review sites.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@laserbolts said:

@Napalm said:

Apparently you missed the, "if" in that statement. We will see when it's released, but I think my assumptions might be correct, considering that he's reviewed almost all of the post Modern Warfare COD games, and his apologist response has always been, "but it's still great, you guys!!"

that was only really MW2, he's been pretty middling with it on the whole since then

#22 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I can see Javik getting at least nominated as "best new character" but I don't know if any of them got to play with him, Ryan should've because he bought the collectors edition , but whatever even with the issues (not even the ending the game has other issues as well like the Quest log) I have with the game, Mass Effect 3 is one of the best games of the year (to me) . St the half way point of the year what other games could fill up some lists though? Max Payne 3 , Diablo 3 , Fez? , Journey ... it seems like this year's big conterders (for their possible picks) all come out in fall ( Borderlands 2 , XCOM : enemy unknown , Assassin's Creed 3 , Dishonored? ).

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

@Little_Socrates: Dead Island only showed up because of Brad.

Even as much as they enjoyed Mass Effect 3, and they all did, it's not going to get any real attention because the last one was Game of the Year and this one isn't as good, compare Uncharted 3 and Arkham City, compare AC:Revelations, or the gradual downward slope of opinion towards Rockstar titles, from winning, to second runnerup, to falling off the top ten, to openly disliked). The only exception to this rule so far has been Modern Warfare 2, and even then that was largely Jeff.

#24 Posted by Draugen (649 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I hope it wins GOTY so it upsets some of you babies on here.

As a representative of those babies, I agree with you. I hope it wins too. Because the game was great, regardless of how dissapointing the ending was. :)

#25 Posted by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

You guys obviously aren't looking at what came out this year and what will.

It'll probably be in the top ten.

#26 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Napalm said:

@laserbolts said:

@Napalm said:

that was only really MW2, he's been pretty middling with it on the whole since then

Yep. You're totally correct.

#27 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 was the best game mechanically and narratively in the entire trilogy. By Wolpaw's Law (which the crew seem to invoke like a shield to protect them from playing shit games, you know, like Steel Battalion) the game should get considered. 32 hours of an epic, amazing RPG is somehow dismissed because of a terrible 10 minute finale?

If Mass Effect 3 doesn't wind up in the top ten and the crew cites the same reasons they mocked people for, then they're hypocrites.

#28 Posted by Master_Funk (733 posts) -

Jeff has said repeatedly that he is done talking about Mass effect, which means it will never win GOTY. Plus, its not better than Mass Effect 2,

#29 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

If ME3 picks up any awards this year, it'll have something to do with the Tuchanka mission...maybe. That was a solid piece of storytelling, IMHO.

#30 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Animasta said:

@Napalm said:

@laserbolts said:

@Napalm said:

His logline straight up says it's split between being great and boring. That's about the definition of middling. The text of the review constantly mentions negatives and positives. Stop being crazy.

#31 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Napalm said:

@Animasta said:

@Napalm said:

@laserbolts said:

@Napalm said:

His logline straight up says it's split between being great and boring. That's about the definition of middling. The text of the review constantly mentions negatives and positives. Stop being crazy.

And yet it gets a four. Seems above average to me. Like I said, an apologist attitude. I'm just calling it like I see it. "it kind of sucks, but it's still great, you guys!!"

This is my last response as well. Take it to PM if you want to continue.