• 185 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by ThePickle (4190 posts) -

http://pushthebutton.tumblr.com/post/28427688961/honesty

To all who hate Patrick, read this. And whoever said the thing that caused him to write this, fuck you. I don't give a shit if you apologized. Say what you will about his writing or personality but don't say that you're glad his father died. There are other sites on the internet that cover videogames. If you hate Patrick enough to personally attack him in such a despicable way you should just leave.

#102 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

There are a lot of Giant Bomb hipsters in this thread. It's like they're all screaming "I used this site back when it was cool."

#103 Posted by GrandHarrier (180 posts) -

@Kombat said:

There are a lot of Giant Bomb hipsters in this thread. It's like they're all screaming "I used this site back when it was cool."

#104 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4981 posts) -
@ThePickle said:

To all who hate Patrick, read this. And whoever said the thing that caused him to write this, fuck you. I don't give a shit if you apologized. Say what you will about his writing or personality but don't say that you're glad his father died. There are other sites on the internet that cover videogames. If you hate Patrick enough to personally attack him in such a despicable way you should just leave.

I want to know the asshole who said that for he/she will forever be a douche in my mind. Really despicable, crude, and just malicious. Disgusting.
#105 Posted by chrissedoff (2158 posts) -

The bombcast has been great lately

#106 Posted by wjb (1689 posts) -

"Hipster" has become one of the laziest insults to throw at someone. It doesn't mean anything to me anymore.

#107 Posted by AssInAss (2714 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree
@ThePickle said:

I want to know the asshole who said that for he/she will forever be a douche in my mind. Really despicable, crude, and just malicious. Disgusting.
Sometimes you Patrick haters are the scum of this earth. Hating takes so much effort, why go to such lengths? Is your life that banal or pathetic?
#108 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

Yeah I saw that. Seriously if whoever did that reads this, you're a real scumbag.

#110 Posted by RVonE (4687 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

@OllyOxenFree
@ThePickle said:

Sometimes you Patrick haters are the scum of this earth. Hating takes so much effort, why go to such lengths? Is your life that banal or pathetic?

What the fuck? That's just disgusting.

#111 Posted by Cloneslayer (1641 posts) -

Honestly haven't really noticed him missing, for better or worse. I seem to be one of the few Patrick-neutral people around here.

Patrick my be annoying sometimes and he may talk about games he knows nothing about at length, but he brings a unique perspective to the group.

But haters are going to hate.

#112 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Humanity said:

I don't think anyone should feel guilty about having an opinion. If you like or dislike someone thats your right. Personally I've been enjoying the last few Bombcasts a lot more.

This.

Same.

Of course, that doesn't mean that some of the stuff people say about him is alright.

#113 Posted by WilyBoy (163 posts) -

I really enjoy Patrick's articles and I think his journalism skills have added a great deal of value to Giantbomb as a site. That being said, I don't miss him on the Bombcast or in Quick Looks. In a perfect world, the Bombcast and all Quick Looks would consist of some combination of VRJDD.

#114 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I completely stopped listening to the Bombcast and watching Quick Looks after Patrick was all over them. I also cancelled my subscription. But I wish him well.

#115 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

I just thinking about how great it has been, to be back to the original team.

#116 Posted by JCrichton (55 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

I agree. This site is built on opinions, and other points of view, if you can't handle hearing one more POV on the podcast or in the QL why bother.

#117 Edited by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

While his unique perspective is missed, it is kind of nice to go back to the original crew. Feels like the old days, especially when they will spend the majority of the podcast not talking about actual games.

This.

Though In general I believe in more switch-a-roo-ing.

One week its Brad, Vinny, Tricky and Jeff. The next Ryan, Jeff, Dave and Drew. Mix it up like it was the Hotspot.

This isn't just an idea, it is a serious, serious suggestion. The Bomcast has really fallen into stale territory, though the last few weeks have been pretty damn good.

#118 Posted by sissylion (679 posts) -

It boggles the mind that people are still complaining about Patrick after he's been a member of the crew for, what, a year and a half now? If you have a problem with him and are unable to get accustomed to him, maybe this site isn't for you.

#119 Posted by Allprox (554 posts) -

I too miss trickmaster scoops a whole bunch.

#120 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@Death_Burnout said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

While his unique perspective is missed, it is kind of nice to go back to the original crew. Feels like the old days, especially when they will spend the majority of the podcast not talking about actual games.

This.

Though In general I believe in more switch-a-roo-ing.

One week its Brad, Vinny, Tricky and Jeff. The next Ryan, Jeff, Dave and Drew. Mix it up like it was the Hotspot.

This isn't just an idea, it is a serious, serious suggestion. The Bomcast has really fallen into stale territory, though the last few weeks have been pretty damn good.

I agree with this. The Bombcast has been way better with only four mics than five. The flow isn't as crowded.

Though on the whole I prefer my Patrick written, not aloud.

#121 Posted by Fungiefips (76 posts) -

To echo the sentiments that everyone else has already posted, I like Patrick's written work, however I do not find him funny or entertaining on the Bombcast and most quick looks. He took a lot of unwarranted personal attacks when he first joined and that's continued, but that's the shit you're going to see on the internet, reprehensible as some of them might be, it's just what happens. What's more annoying to me is the BOMBCREW DEFENSE SQUAD which immediately shits bricks the moment anyone posts criticism of Patrick of any other GB figure. I pay $50 a year to support these guys, I enjoy the work they do, and I have opinions on the content they produce. The butthurt that gets demonstrated by both "OMG PATRICKS ON THIS QUICK LOOK NOT WATCHING" and the "PATRICK IS GODS GIFT TO ERFFF FUCK OFF H8ERS" groups is embarrassing to say the least.

#122 Posted by hifhihf (1 posts) -

@RVonE: I love olives.

#123 Edited by triple07 (1198 posts) -

I know! For the first week it was like the old days and then I realized that it's not the same show without him.

Edit: Holy shit who the hell would say something like that about Patrick? I mean you may not like the guy or whatever but to be happy his dad died? Holy shit you must be a monster.

#124 Posted by Zornack (202 posts) -

I like Patrick. As a white middle class man, I'm proud to finally be a minority.

D;

#125 Posted by PottsyNZ (72 posts) -

Spoken Patrick good, written Patrick great.

He has the unfortunate position of being the 5th man to a 4 man team that has a fairly unique established tone. Hell even Brad used to stand out to me to I get to know him. Also Patrick is a bit nasally for "radio"...someone like Drew has a better voice for the airwaves..althought Drew probably isn't animated enough. Ryan and Jeff were born for it....EXCLUSIVE! need I say more? Then again, Trip brings the facts and knows some serious s%$t..so I'd miss him on the bc. I hope he is doing okays.

#126 Posted by impartialgecko (1699 posts) -

Is Patrick hate still a thing? Talk about being stuck in your ways. 
I certainly miss Patrick, I don't always agree with his tastes but like Dave Houghton from GR I like the fact that I can get a well-reasoned argument contrary to my own view. Makes me think differently.

#127 Posted by ProfessorK (825 posts) -

not to be an ass, but I don't really miss him on the bombcast as the content that I most enjoy from patrick is his writing, and the we still get. if anything I miss alex, and will smith stopping in.

#128 Edited by Marokai (3114 posts) -

I tend to agree with others that the bombcasts have been a delight to listen to as someone who appreciates the more relaxed flow of the original gang. It's not even specifically a hate on Patrick in saying that 5 mics is just too many, as the conversation always seems like people are rushing over each other to punchlines and Patrick tends to cut people off a lot. I do miss him in Quick Looks, since we've gone from the bad extreme of him being in a ton of them to him now not being in any of them. There's a happy medium there to be discovered when he returns to SF and the office proper.  

I do think he's better in text than in audio, though. Also pretty good on convention floors doing footwork.     

@ThePickle said: 

As utterly disgusting as the comment was, Patrick's response to it was beautiful and is the sort of self-aware and genuine sentiment that, if anything, we should hear more of from him. The comment was despicable, but if an understanding that you have to be aware of how you are, and people should be free to critique and ask you to change within reason, comes out of this, then it'll be a net-positive from my perspective. Not all people who have anything critical of Patrick to say are that guy, and any implication of that is unfair.
#129 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

That's just disgusting. Patrick should be commended for taking the high road on this.

#130 Posted by Wilshere (336 posts) -

The margin of quality between the last few editions of the bombcast is clear. I don't like how he cuts off people when they speak or how he gets louder to be heard over the others. The best way forward is to shy away from the bombcast, quicklooks and maybe TNT. His best is when he writes the news and his blog. Everybody has his good and bad sides, he should acknowledge his.

#131 Posted by samsara (20 posts) -

Patrick is the reason I found Giant Bomb. I followed him from G4's Feedback, where he seemed like the only potential heir to Sessler. I've since consumed every minute of content here, and I'm days away from wrapping up my first complete pass through the Bombcast with 2008. There's no question the guys have evolved over the years and grown tired with various elements. I want the guys to take the site and podcast in whatever direction keeps things fresh and entertaining for them. Period. I think Patrick adds a valuable, different perspective from the original GameSpot escapees, who are relatively homogeneous in most of their opinions and preferred genres. I'll probably hate it when they get around to adding some MMO/Sports guy, but if the evolution and variety keeps them happy, I'm happy.

#132 Posted by Drebin_893 (2926 posts) -

I feel like a dick saying it but I've really enjoyed not having Patrick on the site and it's resulted in me absorbing significantly more content.

#133 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

Patrick is probably my least favourite of the GB crew, but I don't get the outright disdain some people have for him. The worst things I can say about him is that he sometimes comes off as too into indie games and games that push the boundaries, to the point where he seems to look down on games that are just great renditions of established formulas; and that some of his news articles have an obvious (and often uncalled-for) implied slant.

At the same time, I think the fact that he's so different shakes things up, and that's a good thing. It's also good to have someone on the reporting (rather than editorial) side of the fence -- the guys will sometimes have a discussion predicated on extremely shaky factual foundations, and Patrick in some cases has helped prevent that.

#134 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

Patrick is probably my least favourite of the GB crew, but I don't get the outright disdain some people have for him. The worst things I can say about him is that he sometimes comes off as too into indie games and games that push the boundaries, to the point where he seems to look down on games that are just great renditions of established formulas; and that some of his news articles have an obvious (and often uncalled-for) implied slant.

At the same time, I think the fact that he's so different shakes things up, and that's a good thing. It's also good to have someone on the reporting (rather than editorial) side of the fence -- the guys will sometimes have a discussion predicated on extremely shaky factual foundations, and Patrick in some cases has helped prevent that.

well i think thats what makes him a good addition to the crew. he's a total gaming hipster, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. theres alot of gaming hipsters here on the site. and being a "hipsters" isn't bad, its just a different taste in things thats all.

i totally agree with the suggestion of a rotating cast for the bombcast once patrick returns. 5 people is a bit too much, alot of times too many people will be talking or one or two of them will be completely forgotten and wont say anything for like an hour and a half (commonly brad). it doesn't even have to be super scheduled just decide who goes in based on who has what to talk about. if vinny hasnt really played much stuff or doesnt really have anything to say, have him sit out. if its a big news week make sure patrick is in. if jeff just got back from seeing a bunch of games, he can be in. its not hard.

#135 Posted by FrEeZe (301 posts) -

I've actually started getting back into quick looks and bombcasts because Patrick left. Whether I'll stick to watching and listening to them after Patrick returns is yet to be determined.

#136 Posted by slowbird (1748 posts) -

I bet you guys woudl hate me, because I like Patrick on the Bombcast and I think it's because he reminds me of me.

Mostly because he gets way excited about things and goes into extreme detail about them like I tend to do sometimes.

Well I care! Keep being you, Scoops!

#137 Posted by Bobstar (318 posts) -

@madmanmaple89 said:

@MrKlorox said:

It's been a breath of fresh air, imo. edit: And I've been able to watch every single QL put up on the site without having to check who's in it first, which feels like old times.

Boy, I know that feeling.

Same here as well.

#138 Posted by laserbolts (5349 posts) -

These last few bombcasts are the first ones ive been able to listen through fully in a long time. Dont hate Patrick but I think he should stick to news articles only.

#139 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Patrick's young.  Sometimes I can sense that he sounds a bit jittery and I think its because hes a bit nervous at this point.  You guys should give him time.  

#140 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Patrick's young. Sometimes I can sense that he sounds a bit jittery and I think its because hes a bit nervous at this point. You guys should give him time.

Over a year isnt enough?

#141 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@PulledaBrad said:

Patrick's young. Sometimes I can sense that he sounds a bit jittery and I think its because hes a bit nervous at this point. You guys should give him time.

Over a year isnt enough?

Look at Brad, it took him a while to improve 

#142 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

@PulledaBrad said:

Over a year isnt enough?

And Patrick has been in the business now for how long....? Being green is totally different from adjusting to a new environment.

#143 Posted by Forderz (248 posts) -

I have to agree that Tricky's QL, especially when paired with Ryan, can get pretty awful.

But there definitely is a Patrick shaped hole in the Bombcast. Come back soon, Klepek!

#144 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

@PulledaBrad said:

Over a year isnt enough?

I've never seen that before. Wow... very monotone. I suppose he was really nervous. Also I can't stop laughing at that beard. :p

#145 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

Yeah. WTF? Where is curly?

#146 Posted by Seedofpower (3947 posts) -

@JEC03 said:

The past couple of weeks have been great just like old times makes me remember how much I use to enjoy it.

Yeah, I would agree with this.

#147 Posted by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

The funny thing that I find about the whole "it's been like old times" thing for me is that since I didn't get into the Bombcast until late last year*, I enjoy listening to Patrick’s voice mix in with the group as something that is so normal that I find the whole thing to feel quite off when he isn’t there. As someone who hasn’t felt any improvement to the podcast of late, I wonder if it is just peoples nostalgia that makes them think that it is.

*(Never been a podcast person, listened to it on a whim and found it to be one of the only podcasts I have ever enjoyed so I stuck with it).

#148 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@PulledaBrad said:

@PulledaBrad said:

Over a year isnt enough?

And Patrick has been in the business now for how long....? Being green is totally different from adjusting to a new environment.

Yeah he definitely had to be smoking something with that haircut!  I dont think Patrick got very much voice/camera time.  
#149 Posted by Chindie (192 posts) -

I've found myself enjoying the site more than I have in a while in his absence (as sad as the reason for that absence may be). It's not gotten me back to watching QLs avidly like I had done pre-Patrick, but thats largely down to nothing coming out at the moment that particularly grabs me. But the podcast has been a breath of fresh air - it's back to being an enjoyable listen that is genuinely entertaining for 3 hours, that flies by, I don't have to skip anything, and it's entertaining from start to finish. The original guys have such a chemistry that it's just an enjoyable listen, Patrick just doesn't gel into it for me (his being er... blessed... with a grating voice doesn't help in that regard). The 'dry' weeks, like we've had the past couple of months, particularly show this up imo. It's that sort of thing that leaves unsure that the '5th voice' thing is quite the issue.

I'm not a great fan of Patrick's written work either, in all honesty (I don't find his 'original topics' particularly interesting, and his writing style/tone is curious, and the other more overtly news-y stuff anyone could do), but he's far better utilised in the written word than spoken imo.

I don't particularly get a kick out of not enjoying Patrick's contributions to the Bombcast and QLs, I'd sooner just enjoy a site I really liked and would eagerly hoover up all content from... but I can't help that he's a personality that I just don't get on with. Oh well.

#150 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

Pssst! Let's all talk about the people who work here as if they can't read what we're saying.