• 63 results
Posted by BBAlpert (1526 posts) -

Note: When I say holes, I mean the rabbit holes/dark paths that were Vinny's short-lived Arduino fling and Jeff's on-again off-again arcade machine collecting hobby.

I recently ordered a "learn electronics" Arduino starter kit because I've always wanted to know people do that kind of witchcraft. I started going through the lessons in the provided book, and decided that I should come up with a project of some kind to work towards. Maybe something with buttons. Then I saw a forum thread by @aquacadet where he showed off his Divekick controller/shoe.

From that point, my "maybe I can make something with buttons" turned into "maybe I could connect this Sega Genesis controller to my computer" to "huh, arcade style buttons and joysticks aren't as expensive as I would have thought, maybe I can make my own fight stick" to "I wonder how much more money/time/effort it would take to build a MAME cabinet" to "oh Christ, I just spent almost the entire weekend pricing out Pop'N Music buttons and trying to figure out if there is any feasible way to legally get my hands on a copy of Bucky O'Hare"

I may end up simply losing interest in all this and giving up on the whole endeavor, but if I don't, I have a dark and dangerous path ahead of me. A path for which I am holding @vinny, @jeff, and @aquacadet personally responsible. Also Dave Lang. Still, it could be worse. I could have gotten into something more treacherous, like Dota 2 or hummingbirds.

#1 Edited by ShaggE (6548 posts) -

I'm terrified of this becoming an impromptu photoshop thread.

#2 Edited by Demoskinos (15010 posts) -

That...is an unfortunate title.

#3 Posted by Brodehouse (10070 posts) -

You fucked up, son.

#4 Edited by cmblasko (1281 posts) -

Phrasing.

I really want to build a MAME cabinet when I have the time and resources.

#5 Posted by probablytuna (3727 posts) -

Gross.

#6 Posted by Kaiserreich (710 posts) -

Now THAT is how you title a thread.

#7 Posted by JoeyRavn (4992 posts) -

Let's be honest: we are all disappointed here. No shame in admitting it.

#8 Edited by Humanity (9581 posts) -

Took the words right out of my hole

#9 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (349 posts) -

Well that's one way to get me to read your thread.

#10 Edited by mordukai (7157 posts) -

I wonder if the OP posted it and then went..."FUUUUUUCK"

@shagge said:

I'm terrified of this becoming an impromptu photoshop thread.

It's sorta like watching a surgery. You know you're watching something very wrong yet you can't look away.

#11 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Mmmmm, yeah girl.

#12 Edited by Undeadpool (4958 posts) -

Dig deeper into Vinny and Jeff's holes.

#13 Posted by Scrawnto (2456 posts) -

I'll just say that I'm glad my hobbies are all in the arts. You can spend a lot on art supplies, but I feel like it's harder to fall down that sort of rabbit hole.

Actually, that's not true. You totally could if you collected synthesizers, and I've gotten pretty close to falling into that before.

#14 Edited by notdavid (840 posts) -

Fuck it. Shut it down. Shut everything down.

Also, I bought a shortwave radio after hearing Jeff talk about them.

#15 Edited by EXTomar (4840 posts) -

And here I was thinking this was going to be about the Bombcast phobia about climbing into confined spaces under/over their homes.

#16 Edited by Bollard (5661 posts) -

I really don't wanna tell the OP that you can edit thread titles now, but oh god that's disgusting hahaha.

#17 Edited by jkz (4040 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

I'll just say that I'm glad my hobbies are all in the arts. You can spend a lot on art supplies, but I feel like it's harder to fall down that sort of rabbit hole.

Actually, that's not true. You totally could if you collected synthesizers, and I've gotten pretty close to falling into that before.

I was about to make the "but music production" exception, but you did that yourself, haha. The amount of close calls I've had with spending way above my budget on some beautiful hardware synth (or a couple days back a Wurlitzer Electric that was in beautiful working order) scares the shit out of me. Better on my wallet to just pick up a few more drug habits and just poke dead-eyed at my Slim Phatty.

#18 Posted by jakob187 (21690 posts) -

FUCKING DISAPPOINTMENT, SON! WHERE'S THE HOLE STUFFING?

#19 Edited by Scrawnto (2456 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

I was about to make the "but music production" exception, but you did that yourself, haha. The amount of close calls I've had with spending way above my budget on some beautiful hardware synth (or a couple days back a Wurlitzer Electric that was in beautiful working order) scares the shit out of me. Better on my wallet to just pick up a few more drug habits and just poke dead-eyed at my Slim Phatty.

I've found myself staring longingly at the page for the Minimoog Voyager a few times. It's a good thing I can't actually play keyboard, or I might have pulled the trigger on that. I know I'd never actually put it to good use--I'm no composer--but they sound so dang cool!

#20 Posted by NegativeCero (3012 posts) -

You derailed your own thread hard, so congrats. Also, eww.

#21 Posted by BBAlpert (1526 posts) -

I regret nothing.

#22 Edited by BaconGames (3483 posts) -

@bbalpert said:

I regret nothing.

You shouldn't, that's a great thread title. Hell, made me click on it fully knowing it was nto what it seemed.

#23 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

You don't want to go down this path. It ends in tears. And pools of Vaseline. Mixed with tears.

#24 Posted by jkz (4040 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

@jukezypoo said:

@scrawnto said:

I've found myself staring longingly at the page for the Minimoog Voyager a few times. It's a good thing I can't actually play keyboard, or I might have pulled the trigger on that. I know I'd never actually put it to good use--I'm no composer--but they sound so dang cool!

I know RIGHT? Even if I'm not making music just the sexy sexy sounds a good ol' moog can make can entertain me for hours...god damn it now I'm staring at Voyager sales. Thank the lord I'm poor.

#25 Edited by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -

BAIT AND SWITCH.

#26 Posted by pyromagnestir (4326 posts) -

Of course I clicked on this thread. Of course I did.

*giggle

#27 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1787 posts) -

Good luck! Hope you've got your spelunking gear. I hear Jeff's hole is a doozy.

#28 Posted by Darson (451 posts) -

I can't get over this thread's title. I'm sorry, but all validity has been lost.

Lost....that is...into Jeff's holes.

#29 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3903 posts) -

@humanity said:
@demoskinos said:

That made me actually laugh out loud. Almost spit Coke out my hole.

#30 Edited by mlarrabee (2990 posts) -

Come on, people. Do you really think that thread title was unintentional?

And, yes, OP, it's just a matter of time before you have hummingbirds sucking sugar water from your face.

#31 Posted by Demoskinos (15010 posts) -

@humanity said:
@demoskinos said:

I had some coke come out my hole before. Not pleasant.

#32 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy said:

@humanity said:
@demoskinos said:

Goddamn you fuckers. Can't stop laughing.

#33 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

"Spread 'UM"

~ Big Jeffry
#34 Posted by SpoogeMcduck (191 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

Phrasing.

I really want to build a MAME cabinet when I have the time and resources.

I have a rasberry pi just waiting to be used for that. Someday when I have time and/or I'm unemployed I'll get around to it

#35 Posted by BBAlpert (1526 posts) -

BAIT AND SWITCH.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as calling myself a master of baiting and switching, but I'm rather proud of the thread title.

But back on topic (if that's even possible), does anyone have any opinions on arcade buttons? Specifically things like sanwa vs seimitsu, concave vs convex, good suppliers (for someone in the US)? When I started doing research I was kind of hoping that the arcade machine/control building community would be as meticulous about documentation as, say, the mechanical keyboard guys, and that I'd be able to find a guide like this one on cherry switches. So far, I've found some information, but not a lot all in one place.

#36 Edited by MarkM (295 posts) -

That's gross.

#37 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I want to build a MAME-cabinet with a Metal Slug 1 paintjob. Buying a MS1 arcademachine on E-bay is out of the question, since it would cost me a million dollars.

Unfortunate topic title is unfortunate

#38 Posted by Brendan (7837 posts) -
#39 Posted by Humanity (9581 posts) -
#40 Posted by ajamafalous (12029 posts) -

Dig Deeper into Jeff Gerstmann/Vinny Caravella

#41 Edited by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

The title of this forum lead me to be believe this would be the best forum ever, l will leave disappointed.

#42 Edited by Humanity (9581 posts) -

Maybe you can use this for your thread dood

#43 Edited by RazielCuts (2974 posts) -

@humanity: I like that image, wheres it form?

#44 Posted by Humanity (9581 posts) -
#46 Posted by RazielCuts (2974 posts) -

@humanity: For anything or..? Whats his torch pointing to? Can't quite making it out..

#47 Posted by Humanity (9581 posts) -

@razielcuts: I made it for this thread. It's a joke..cause it's someone diving deep into a hole? He is pointing the flashlight at a Portillos hat.

#48 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Tobias? Is that you?

#49 Edited by Bamsen (342 posts) -

#50 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3903 posts) -

@bisonhero: I don't see what you find so funny about what may or may not come out my hole.