New to the Bombcast - but I already feel like an old hand.

Avatar image for peacefulpaul108
Peacefulpaul108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Peacefulpaul108

So, I've been listening to video game podcasts for about a year, but only discovered the bombcast at the very end of 09. (20 oh crime son). After a couple of weeks of listening to just the most recent episode, and then delving into the recent back catalogue  I realised that the Bombcast would not just be a passing fancy, rather I had found the podcast for me. I now have a substantial backlog of non-bombcast things in iTunes, as I have taken it upon myself to listen to the whole history of the Bombcast, from Arrow Pointing Down on. As of right now I am up to 01-27-2009, which features discussion of fallout 3 (thus narrowing it down to a small handful of episodes, of course.)   

It's such a joyous podcast - it makes me laugh out loud and smile and grin often - even though I'm a vegetarian, and I like sport, and am scared of energy drinks.  I'm loving the running gags and the camaraderie, and the undying love for Mortal Kombat and Streetfighter, even though I haven't been any good at either of those since the SNES was where it was at. I like the way they get facts about England wrong all the time, but that Vinny's English accent is actually pretty good.   

Anyway, just thought I should pop in and say hi, since Giant Bomb has been dominating my aural landscape for a couple of months straight, with about a month's worth of listening to go. Peace!  

Paul

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

Nearly everyone has a discussion about Fallout 3.

Peacefulpaul108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Peacefulpaul108

Yeah, I know - that was what I was getting at - sorry, hilarious irony is not at its most effective in text form :-)

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

Woah, every episode?  They are long, and the older episodes will have a lot of old news.  I recommend just listening to the newer episodes.  and yes, I love the bombcast as well!  Very casual and funny.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

I applaud you for having the patience to listen to every episode. That's madness.

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Inf225

I did the same thing... i started in january 09, right after the 1upocalypse and I found myself without a home.. But ive gone back and listened to all of the old bombcasts... its one hell of a task, but its totally worth it... what makes the bombcast special is that its not just about the games... its about life... and that never gets old...

Peacefulpaul108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Peacefulpaul108

I'm thoroughly enjoying it - it's not a chore at all. Also, the old news is sort of interesting in that stories play out over the months, some of the predictions are spot on and some wildly off the mark, and also, the highly recommended games are now super cheap! I just ordered Nuts and Bolts of amazon.co.uk for £9. 2008 game of the year contender! 

ScottishGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ScottishGamer
@Peacefulpaul108 said:

"I like the way they get facts about England wrong all the time, but that Vinny's English accent is actually pretty good."    

I know, I love Vinny and everyone else's English accent. Every time they do it, it makes my laugh. I hope to expect more of it on this weeks podcast or maybe next weeks as Vinny and Ryan head over to Liverpool on Wednesday! 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jimbo

Welcome duder.

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Frederik

Hehe that sounds like quite the task! I'm lucky enough to have been following from the Arrow-days but I'm doing a similar thing with the "Adam and Joe" podcast (You're British, you know that one right?)

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Jambones

Welcome duder. Yeah, I am British myself, living in the US, but I love when they do the accent. Lampooning Peter Molyneux talking about everything having a dog or something is hilarious; I love it. As for energy drink, soda makes my heart act weird, so I imagine one of those would make my heart explode in my chest, lol.

@Frederik: After all these years, I still sing The Footie Song. All the Americans probably start thinking I am mad, especially when I start singing the bit that goes: "Foot foot foot foot ball, ball ball ball ball foot, foot kick kick kick foot, foot kick ball goal" :B That, or speaking like Ken Korda.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

Bombcasts are the highlight of my week, really.  I sit and wait tuesday nights for it to go up then I download and either listen to some it then or the next day.  But yeah, bombcasts are awesome!

tumes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tumes

God bless the Bombcast. I came in last year after I got fed up with the constant pissing contest that Rebel FM was at the time (Dunno if they've improved). I remember the first one I listened to had a discussion about Lara Croft (I think) and Ryan talked about makin it with her... on a sink. I was absolutely hooked from then on.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Pie
@Frederik: Is there a collection of all the adam and joe podcasts somewhere or do you have them all downloaded?
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By matthew
@Peacefulpaul108: Welcome Dude!  I'm glad you've found an audio haven, and can finally understand why we nearly worship those who voices speak through those wonderful mic shields!  And yes, it's always groovay putting on an older 'cast, just listening to see how things turned out and such...Once you finish those, and I know you will get there someday, I'll tell you which episodes of the HotSpot to get...
Peacefulpaul108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Peacefulpaul108

Thanks for the warm welcome folks - I'll update when I get to the end of the mission. It really is gonna only be a matter of a couple of weeks I think...

OnlyWonderBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OnlyWonderBoy

Haha I'm doing the same thing. I just end up listening to them when I'm playing games, especially WOW. The news stuff is pretty interesting with some insight to the future about how things actually end up working out. I just finished up '08 and and am about to start '09. It was funny hearing Brad talk about he was going to play Fallout  3 back in '08 but didn't get around to it much more recently. Also the TGS '08 episodes were great. The Swedish candy was one of the funniest things I've heard on a podcast. Definatly one of my favorite podcasts.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By JJOR64
@Peacefulpaul108:  Welcome to the forums!  You should pick a kick ass avatar and you should be ready to go.   :)
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Skytylz

cool i started at there game of the year podcast for 2008, after the 1up yours that they were on.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If you want to go really crazy, you can listen to old episodes of The Hotspot from '06 and '07. There you can learn such things as Haze being the shit.  In all reality though, the bombcast is probably better despite the lack of Rich Gallup because it's more laid back and there are no time constraints. But on the other hand, it's hilarious to hear Jeff say "WHO CARES!!" when talking about Street Fighter IV being announced.

Peacefulpaul108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Peacefulpaul108
@ArbitraryWater:  Thanks for that! That was the  *SHORYUKEN*