No Arkenstone in the book? Seriously?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ruiner

Oh Brad..."I just read the Hobbit..." And his missed the entire part about the Arkenstone? Geez... ok I'm done...

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By FreakAche

Ugh... did he really say that?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By beforet

It took me a moment to remember, but yeah, that was kinda vital to the everything.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Hunter5024

Even having not read The Hobbit, I was kind of under the impression that it's vital to the events of both that book, and the Silmarillion (spelling?). Silmarillion is fun to type, and to say.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BisonHero

@Hunter5024 said:

Even having not read The Hobbit, I was kind of under the impression that it's vital to the events of both that book, and the Silmarillion (spelling?). Silmarillion is fun to type, and to say.

I always feel like I'm combining silver and million, which are both already cool words.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Yeah I shook my head when he said that.

goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By goldenmnk

oh dear, this is going to turn ugly...

on a side note , as a person who has never read the hobbit or the lord of the rings books, would you recommend them. Recently i have read the first 3 hitchhiker books and really enjoyed them, and now i'm wanting to return again for the first time ever to these books.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rafaelfc

internet dudes getting annoyed over someone being wrong... move along people

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Barrock

Yeah it was vital. Bilbo even jacks that shit and uses it to make Thorin give up the mountain.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BBQBram

@goldenmnk said:

oh dear, this is going to turn ugly...

on a side note , as a person who has never read the hobbit or the lord of the rings books, would you recommend them. Recently i have read the first 3 hitchhiker books and really enjoyed them, and now i'm wanting to return again for the first time ever to these books.

I think Tolkien's world as a whole is beautiful and fascinating, but his prose and characters are kind of dry. Very descriptive and serious writing. So I'd say just try it out, because some people fall in love with it and others fall asleep after fifty pages.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShaggE

I can thoroughly read and enjoy a book (same for movies and games) and forget the vast majority of it in record time, so I can see how Brad could make that mistake.

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rainbowkisses

@The_Ruiner said:

Geez... ok I'm done...

Done with what? This site? Brad? This thread?

I read The Hobbit, but it was a few years ago so I don't remember enough about it to really comment on this.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

I don't recall the arkenstone but I haven't read it in a decade.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus

Someone send an e-mail into the Bombcast. Dear

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By panvixyl

@Rainbowkisses said:

@The_Ruiner said:

Geez... ok I'm done...

Done with what? This site? Brad? This thread?

I read The Hobbit, but it was a few years ago so I don't remember enough about it to really comment on this.

With living!?!

RIP The_Ruiner. May a chorus of baby angels sing thee to thy eternal rest.

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stimpack

It's also been over a decade for me, and I don't recall it. Interestingly enough I seem to recall a good amount of everything else, though.

Also I just want to throw this in here for some reason.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hatking
@The_Ruiner

Oh Brad..."I just read the Hobbit..." And his missed the entire part about the Arkenstone? Geez... ok I'm done...

It seems just as bad as somebody listening to a podcast and immediately forgetting who said what, right? Vinny was the one that said that he wasn't sure if that was in the book, and he mentioned he hadn't read the book in a long time. Besides, I think his point was that material was added in the movie, which it was.

Okay, I'm done.
evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By evanbower

@HatKing said:

@The_Ruiner

It seems just as bad as somebody listening to a podcast and immediately forgetting who said what, right? Vinny was the one that said that he wasn't sure if that was in the book, and he mentioned he hadn't read the book in a long time. Besides, I think his point was that material was added in the movie, which it was. Okay, I'm done.

Actualllllllly Vinny asks Brad if it is in the book, since he just read it, and Brad says no.. "although it might be in the appendices." I'm with Brad though.. just read it a few years ago and didn't remember that part at all.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By Giantstalker

Need to refresh your memory on The Hobbit? May I suggest to you the definitive film version, namely, the 1985 made-for-TV movie. You know, the one filmed in the USSR.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By Little_Socrates

So, I was really confused, 'cause I remembered it exclusively being in the book and totally forgot it was in the movie. It's just there during the opening flashback, right?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Ruiner

@Barrock said:

Yeah it was vital. Bilbo even jacks that shit and uses it to make Thorin give up the mountain.

yeah it's the focus of two major plot developments at the end of the book... and something Thorin talks about like..a lot... I can see someone who hasn't read it in a while forgetting it..but for someone to boast that they just read it... kinda funny

@HatKing said:

@The_Ruiner

It seems just as bad as somebody listening to a podcast and immediately forgetting who said what, right? Vinny was the one that said that he wasn't sure if that was in the book, and he mentioned he hadn't read the book in a long time. Besides, I think his point was that material was added in the movie, which it was. Okay, I'm done.

Yeah... that is sad when people get that stuff wrong..I wouldn't know though... cause I was totally accurate...

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jrinswand

It's kind of like the time they said "The Hobbit. Isn't that by Ralph Bakshi?" "Yeah, I think so." Or the time they said, "The Last Unicorn." "Oh yeah, I've heard of that." What the fuck. WHAT THE FUCK.

Edit: Says the guy with the Bakshi avatar/The Last Unicorn fanboy

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EXTomar

Hmm, if I remember correctly the two major plot points where: getting rid of the dragon, having a big battle over the loot. I honestly don't recall any thing about a stone.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24  Edited By granderojo

For the first third of The Hobbit, which is what Brad was commenting on when he was referencing the Arkenstone, it was not a vital plot device at that point in the story. At this point in the story that we're at in The Hobbit it's little more than a symbol of Thráin I greed.

Having seen The Hobbit twice now, all I want to do is go see it again. All this loose Lord of the Rings talk is great. I think instead of viewing it again in theaters I'll just listen to an audiobook of The Hobbit again. Now to decide whether I should listen to the NPR radio drama or Rob Ignis audible version....The NPR version is of the 'faire' version that Tolkien wrote before trying to tie The Hobbit more in line with the future ring trilogy. The audible version is of the less faire version...

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#25  Edited By gla55jAw

It happens, although I wonder how recent "recently" is for Brad. I read it month ago for the second time (1st time probably 10 years ago), and it's a pretty prominent part of the plot. If recently is months to a year ago, it's understandable.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Phatmac

You guys are really great. Just the best.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By retrovirus

@Stimpack said:

It's also been over a decade for me, and I don't recall it. Interestingly enough I seem to recall a good amount of everything else, though.

OH NO. My Dad used to hum a much more nasally version of this and it drove me insane.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

Oh no he got something wrong in a book I love, time to rant about it. This shit should be considered spam,

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Barrock

Brad mentioned on Twitter he only read up to the part where the movie would cover before his girlfriend stole his copy.

Vinny said his wife scolded him for being wrong.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hatking

@evanbower said:

@HatKing said:

@The_Ruiner

Actualllllllly Vinny asks Brad if it is in the book, since he just read it, and Brad says no.. "although it might be in the appendices." I'm with Brad though.. just read it a few years ago and didn't remember that part at all.

My bad, I just realized I was thinking this was referring to the conversation that took place during one of the video features. Either way, the correct answer to all of this is a giant 'who gives a fuck?' I mean, I did just reread the book, the stone isn't mentioned much for the most of the book, and sort of becomes this important thing at the very end. The movie is way better about making clear its importance. Not remembering it is completely reasonable, especially with the importance implied by the movie.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wampa1

@Giantstalker: Just... thank you.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanmgraef

Brad is the worst person alive! How dare he get something wrong!...he's one of the fat ones right?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By toowalrus

@Barrock said:

Brad mentioned on Twitter he only read up to the part where the movie would cover before his girlfriend stole his copy.

Vinny said his wife scolded him for being wrong.

Good! Love ya Brad, but don't claim "I just read the book" if you haven't. The nerd-rage in this case was TOTALLY DESERVED.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Grissefar

@BisonHero said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I always feel like I'm combining silver and million, which are both already cool words.

Which made me think up the coolest name. John Dillion. Can you even comprehend how cool that name sounds and how fun it is to say?

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Brad

I only read up to the end of the first movie before my girlfriend borrowed my copy for a trip.

Edit: I see someone already pointed that out. If you actually got upset about this in any case, though, you should maybe stop for a minute and evaluate the priorities in your life.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Grissefar

@Brad said:

you should maybe stop for a minute and evaluate the priorities in your life.

ZIIIIING!!!!

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Grissefar

@Grissefar said:

@BisonHero said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Which made me think up the coolest name. John Dillion. Can you even comprehend how cool that name sounds and how fun it is to say?

Wow upon further research, there are actually real people named John Dillion. What I wouldn't give to be one of them.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FengShuiGod

My favorite part of the Hobbit is the one where Melkor and Tom Bombadil team up to save Elora from Bavmorda.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By breadfan

Brad just brought down the hunk.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By beforet

@Breadfan said:

Brad just brought down the hunk.

On a related note, I think we can attribute all staff mistakes to being on the hunk.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jdh5153

wtf is an arkenstone?

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By butano

The LotR Wiki is your friend for things containing Arkenstones, Hobbitses, and Middle Earth histories nicely explained in Cliff Note fashion.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jdh5153

@Butano said:

The LotR Wiki is your friend for things containing Arkenstones, Hobbitses, and Middle Earth histories nicely explained in Cliff Note fashion.

I see...read the book and saw the movie and all I took from it was stuff about the ring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b047a335a3c2
deactivated-5b047a335a3c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Stimpack said:

Wow! This brings back memories. That song is actually the only thing I remember from those movies . . . saw them when I was like five. Also, was the guy on the sled pulled by bunnies in the hobbit book? I don't remember that part at all.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rayeth

@ManiacMaysin said:

Wow! This brings back memories. That song is actually the only thing I remember from those movies . . . saw them when I was like five. Also, was the guy on the sled pulled by bunnies in the hobbit book? I don't remember that part at all.

No. Radagast the Brown was a minor character at best in Lord of the Rings. He is the one who (in the books at least) alerts the eagles that Gandalf is trapped by Saruman in Isengard. He is never physically present in the Hobbit at any point. They shoehorned him into this movie, for no reason that I can see other than to make the movie longer.