• 57 results
mrgstiffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrgstiffler

This just seems really strange to me. To me, Tomb Raider competes with Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us and Assassin's Creed 4 for Game of the Year. It's really weird that Tomb Raider doesn't even crack the Top 20.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

cause it aint a good game.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By NMC2008

Good thing I don't care about GB's taste in games or I would be upset, to me, 98% of their list was garbage, but hey, it's theirs and I have mine, so sure, TR wasn't on the list but Dive Kick was, and that's what's most important, because Dive Kick is totally a video game, I had my doubts though, at first I thought it was just some shitty game of Rock Paper Scissors but I was wrong, it's better than RPS, a little bit better. So buck up buck, TR is good to us, so there's that. Oh and don't mind bigjeffrey up there, he's just being Giant Bomb.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

That's what personal lists are for.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't play it, but it looks just like a third person Far Cry 3. I don't think it would have been nearly as well received with out the name.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

To me, Tomb Raider competes with Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us and Assassin's Creed 4 for Game of the Year.

Note the emphasis.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They were waiting till the end of this year because last years game was not Definitive.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By hans_maulwurf

eh...petty stuff compared to the bs of law of the west not even making top 3 of best old games.

mrgstiffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008 said:

Good thing I don't care about GB's taste in games or I would be upset, to me, 98% of their list was garbage, but hey, it's theirs and I have mine, so sure, TR wasn't on the list but Dive Kick was, and that's what's most important, because Dive Kick is totally a video game, I had my doubts though, at first I thought it was just some shitty game of Rock Paper Scissors but I was wrong, it's better than RPS, a little bit better. So buck up buck, TR is good to us, so there's that. Oh and don't mind bigjeffrey up there, he's just being Giant Bomb.

Yeah, I agree that GOTY is based on taste but I find it really strange that Tomb Raider doesn't break any publication's top 20. Giant Bomb and CAG are my two go to resources for new games. Tomb Raider was 1 or 2 for CAG but doesn't even hit top 20 for Giant Bomb?

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgstiffler: still meaning to play it but yea your kind of right it did seem like it would be there. I guess it's one of the less appreciated games of the year. You can give it that award.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@joshwent said:
@mrgstiffler said:

To me, Tomb Raider competes with Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us and Assassin's Creed 4 for Game of the Year.

Note the emphasis.

It's a very good game and people with horrible taste like @bigjeffrey might try to steer people away but the quality of the new Tomb Raider is undeniable. It was definitely a top 10 game of 2013.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By crithon

it made more then majority of the personal top 10s on all the guests at giant bomb. So it was never under represented

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good. Solid. Nothing more.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's pretty uninteresting and straight to the point. Not bad per say. But it wouldn't hit anywhere close to my list, and I'm not surprised it didn't on theirs either.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By abendlaender

Cause it's not that good. It's okay

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@mrgstiffler said:

@nmc2008 said:

Yeah, I agree that GOTY is based on taste but I find it really strange that Tomb Raider doesn't break any publication's top 20. Giant Bomb and CAG are my two go to resources for new games. Tomb Raider was 1 or 2 for CAG but doesn't even hit top 20 for Giant Bomb?

Maybe it's because they're different websites with different people.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RonGalaxy

@vuud said:

I didn't play it, but it looks just like a third person Far Cry 3. I don't think it would have been nearly as well received with out the name.

It is nowhere near a third person Far Cry 3, as a person who has played both games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Whatever, man, no one represented Etrian Odyssey IV.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Humanity

We're talking about good games in this thread.

Just kidding, I don't even know what that is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Justin258

@humanity said:

@believer258 said:

:(

It's a Wizardry-inspired first-person dungeon crawler.

EDIT: For the record, I think Tomb Raider is probably one of the best third person shooters of this generation. It certainly blows its direct competition out of the water in every way.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Cause opinions, man.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SharkEthic
@vuud said:

It is nothing like Far Cry 3, and I don't think slapping the Tomb Raider brand on it necessarily did it any favors.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

eh, I bought and played tomb raider and it is definitely a good game, I had a great time with it, but it's hardly worth replaying, the gun-play is ordinary, multiplayer is tacked on, and it teases for a sequel at the end. Any story that teases for a sequel can't really have an impact on a person. I actually liked the QTE's in the game, but I can't defend them to the many people who hated them.

I actually cringed when I saw it make a top 10 list (I think it made John Drake's top 10 list from memory).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@believer258 said:

EDIT: For the record, I think Tomb Raider is probably one of the best third person shooters of this generation. It certainly blows its direct competition out of the water in every way.

You just made me.... a believer..

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rafaelfc

@treetrunk said:

Any story that teases for a sequel can't really have an impact on a person.

What? Are you serious?

To name a few:

The Empire Strikes Back, The Matrix, Spiderman 2, Back to the Future (1, 2 AND 3 all tease sequels), Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Skyfall...

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just seems really strange to me. To me, Tomb Raider competes with Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us and Assassin's Creed 4 for Game of the Year. It's really weird that Tomb Raider doesn't even crack the Top 20.

Because it wasn't nearly as good as any of those games. I don't think anyone in the gaming industry thought it was "great," mearly, "pretty good."

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I didn't think Tomb Raider was that good. It wasn't bad, but top 10 material? Nah, son. Not by a long shot. That's just my opinion though so it's whatever at the end of the day. Also,

@humanity said:

Loading Video...

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing Tomb Raider right now and I like it a lot, I'm near the end. But I could see that it might fall out of my memory directly after I finish it. For me, it falls in the same category as Max Payne 3 as games that make you go "neato" when you're done, unistall and forget. Just another well-produced frictionless thrillride.

It's a good game but I understand why GB found 20 other games that stuck with them a little more.... plus, some of them probably didn't even like it that much.

NipCrip66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Personally I enjoyed Tomb Raider until I had to kill waves of enemies. When I had to pick off 5 or so carefully then I could buy the world they had created. She was young and scared but had been trained to handle weapons and look after herself. As soon as they changed it to "fight x waves of enemies in makehift arenas" then it totally lost me. It became far too Uncharted-clone for it's own good.

So from my point of view I can totally see why they didn't include it in their GOTY but I know the game has it's supporters.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@believer258 said:

@humanity said:

@believer258 said:

Ha, there are surprisingly few puns on my username.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider was in the same vein as Hitman: Abs, for me. A really well made game, a good game infact. Just a bad Hitman game.

TR was the same, they made a good game. An amazing new Lara and a great tone but instead made a 3rd person shooter with some jumping. That was never the cool part of TR.

The shooting mechanics were good though, the best they've been, so the next game could be great. Or just another shooter.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider was fucking awesome. I have my fingers crossed for a sequel.

Don't hinge your enjoyment on staff interest, they can't please everyone.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real crime was the lack of ROTT.

You can stab a guy in half, people. STAB A GUY IN HALF.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I liked it. Other people liked it more. Most other people liked it less. I'm okay with that.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's because lists matter.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone saying it is a bad game is pretty wrong or hasn't played it. While it's in not my favourite of the year, it's still a really solid game, and easily the best Tomb Raider gameplay experience. The story's a bit iffy, though.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By BaneFireLord

The Stanley Parable got bumped from the top ten list for the sake of another goddamn indie sprite art roguelike and you don't see me complaining. Opinions, brother. If they were uniform and universal, the world would be a boring place.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My game of the year, I don't need GB to verify it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I found it mediocre as fuck with a shit load of poorly written stereotypical characters, I'm fine with where it placed.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I loved the game, but this argument is getting tired. Why do we need these guys to validate our opinions? I'm not listening to the podcast waiting for them to talk about The Last of Us and tap my buddy on the shoulder "hey, see? I told you that game was good, yup." Who gives a shit? It's not like they said it was a terrible game or anything. In which case, I could see maybe wanting to defend it. But, they just didn't like as much as us. Bummer, I guess, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I didn't even finish it. A completely average game

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Klei

Anybody who thinks Tomb Raider wasn't all that good, you have got to get your video game standards checked. It's one of the finest games of 2013, as will any game built on Batman Arkham's template. Because hey, people compare it to Uncharted when it truly borrows its identity from Rocksteady's blueprint of a game. Add to that great combat, a great main character and a great setting. The story wasn't the best, neither some of the side characters, but they certainly weren't worse than most video game clichés that we get every year.

Come at me.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By veektarius

It was my #1, but I'm pretty sure I played like 6 games that came out last year. I tried making a top ten list and realized I literally had not played enough new games to do it.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I outright disliked it. Was quite the fan of the old games, even thought Legend and Underworld were pretty decent. The new one just lacks its own identity, it feels like Crystal Dynamics stared themselves blind on other games and lost a lot of what made the series cool. It has setpieces that I thought were mundane and the shooting is painfully average. Personally the story and especially the side characters was the worst offender, I am still baffled they basically just went with one of each race for the side characters and they all ride high on clichés and poorly written dialogue. I wish it was the survival game it hints at, hunting is completely lackluster and the wounds and stuff don't play into the game at all.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tomb Raider was my surprise game of 2013. Had zero interest in it and only picked it up because it was on sale and my GF talked about wanting to try it but when I started it I couldn't put it down. I felt like it could've wrapped up a little sooner after the events at the bandit base about 2/3 through but overall great game that I enjoyed from start to finish.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Freshbandito

I'm playing Tomb Raider right now and I like it a lot, I'm near the end. But I could see that it might fall out of my memory directly after I finish it. For me, it falls in the same category as Max Payne 3 as games that make you go "neato" when you're done, unistall and forget. Just another well-produced frictionless thrillride.

It's a good game but I understand why GB found 20 other games that stuck with them a little more.... plus, some of them probably didn't even like it that much.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that you did what I did and bought them both in the steam sale and they ended up being the only things that stuck to the wall when trying to play all the purchases.

I'd mostly agree with you but the game left me wanting more but bigger in a good way as a reboot should, the story was lacking and meandering but the gameplay and polish left me excited to see what may come in a further tale of new Lara Croft.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By Nentisys

Tomb Raider 2013 is the very definition of a mediocre derivate "AAA" game.

Shit story, no risk "platforming", endless QTE's, totally needless experience system, they never let go of your hand the entire game. Shooting was competent (I did like the bow) but nothing special. Oh and how many times do you slide down a hill/waterslide?

But hey, atleast Lara had nice hair (on the PC). Buy it in a steam sale when it hits under 5€.

Onomatopoeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really weird that Tomb Raider doesn't even crack the Top 20.

That's because it's shit, it didn't even resemble Tomb Raider in anyway. I wanted to raid Tombs with good platforming not Uncharted set pieces with magnetic ledges and regenerating health.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Justin258

I'm going to hazard a guess that most people who strongly disliked Tomb Raider were expecting something along the lines of the older games, not a (finely-tuned, well-made) third person shooter. The people who did wind up liking Tomb Raider a lot, such as myself, bought it on a whim and were pleasantly surprised.

Expectations can seriously fuck things up.

McGray90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, Gunpoint's pretty good...