• 56 results
#51 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Not surprised

#52 Edited by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

I'm going to hazard a guess that most people who strongly disliked Tomb Raider were expecting something along the lines of the older games, not a (finely-tuned, well-made) third person shooter. The people who did wind up liking Tomb Raider a lot, such as myself, bought it on a whim and were pleasantly surprised.

Expectations can seriously fuck things up.

I knew it wasn't a single thing like Tomb Raider games of old, but I was, maybe foolishly, expecting something to do with the supposed survival I'd seen people talk about. Instead I got a linear shooter where you jumped about occasionally, with awful characters. But hey, I paid like £6 for it so whatever.

#53 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Tomb Raider plays really well but that doesn't stop it from being really god damn stupid.

#54 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5477 posts) -

Tomb Raider's probably the most egregiously dismissed game of the year for giant bomb, still a good game though!

The "It's not Tomb Raider" people are pretty stupid, I guess they didn't remember the part where the last 5 or 6 Tomb Raider games were terrible.

#55 Edited by believer258 (11903 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@believer258 said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that most people who strongly disliked Tomb Raider were expecting something along the lines of the older games, not a (finely-tuned, well-made) third person shooter. The people who did wind up liking Tomb Raider a lot, such as myself, bought it on a whim and were pleasantly surprised.

Expectations can seriously fuck things up.

I knew it wasn't a single thing like Tomb Raider games of old, but I was, maybe foolishly, expecting something to do with the supposed survival I'd seen people talk about. Instead I got a linear shooter where you jumped about occasionally, with awful characters. But hey, I paid like £6 for it so whatever.

Or that's another thing people were disappointed by.

I just went right in expecting a linear third person shooter. I got a really, really good third person shooter.

For the record, if Crystal Dynamics makes another one of these, it needs to have far more elements taken from the old games. I won't praise another one that's just like this one so easily. And the survival-thing doesn't sound like a bad idea. Would be cool to see Lara stuck on an actual open-world island almost by herself (maybe some people in a sort of home-base), where she has to go through different tombs to gather items before the evil mercenaries camped on the other side can summon some ancient god of destruction or something equally silly. Outside of tombs you'd have to gather and cook food to keep Lara fed in tombs, refill water bottles, make bandages. You could sabotage enemy bunkers (Lara's a one-woman army anyway) to slow down their progress. Maybe you could come across tombs that they are in the middle of raiding, wait til they raid it, then kill 'em all and take the loot for yourself. And so on and so forth.

Sorry, I got carried away there. They have a great action game foundation now, they just need to be able to apply it to something else.

#56 Edited by RazorRamen (48 posts) -

@vuud said:

I didn't play it, but it looks just like a third person Far Cry 3. I don't think it would have been nearly as well received with out the name.

It's more like Uncharted with better combat and a worse story.

#57 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@believer258: The game you described is the game I always want when people tout survival elements in their games. It never happens :(