Oh, ok. Now i feel sorta dumb. sorry GB :(

Thayne24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Thayne24

So i have been very against the subscription, and have been pissed! Then by chance i realized there was a new short bombcast in my itunes.

"whats this" i said

and after listening to the first 10 min. i realize these guys aren't trying to be dicks, in fact they are trying to do their best.

ya. so sorry i'll subscribe :)

sadly i can only do monthly as i'm going to a 3rd world country in 2 months for 2 years. but that 10 bucks is worth it to me to support these guys

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mcfart

o.o

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Noodles
@Thayne24 said:

" So i have been very against the subscription, and have been pissed! Then by chance i realized there was a new short bombcast in my itunes.  "whats this" i said  and after listening to the first 10 min. i realize these guys aren't trying to be dicks, in fact they are trying to do their best.  ya. so sorry i'll subscribe :)  sadly i can only do monthly as i'm going to a 3rd world country in 2 months for 2 years. but that 10 bucks is worth it to me to support these guys "

They are a company that runs websites that have pretty much NO ads. I'm suprised they can even stay afloat as-is! But mad props to them for doing so and bringing us fucking awesome content for years now.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DystopiaX
@Noodles said:
" @Thayne24 said:

" So i have been very against the subscription, and have been pissed! Then by chance i realized there was a new short bombcast in my itunes.  "whats this" i said  and after listening to the first 10 min. i realize these guys aren't trying to be dicks, in fact they are trying to do their best.  ya. so sorry i'll subscribe :)  sadly i can only do monthly as i'm going to a 3rd world country in 2 months for 2 years. but that 10 bucks is worth it to me to support these guys "

They are a company that runs websites that have pretty much NO ads. I'm suprised they can even stay afloat as-is! But mad props to them for doing so and bringing us fucking awesome content for years now. "
they had 4 million dollars in investment capital as seed money that they used to get all this shit up.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5  Edited By the8bitNacho
@Noodles said:
" @Thayne24 said:

They are a company that runs websites that have pretty much NO ads. I'm suprised they can even stay afloat as-is! But mad props to them for doing so and bringing us fucking awesome content for years now. "
To be honest, Whiskey Media's CEO (Shelby Bonnie) is a billionaire and could probably keep the company going for quite a while all on his own. But an unprofitable company is not a successful company.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DystopiaX
@Kombat said:
" @Noodles said:
" @Thayne24 said:

To be honest, Whiskey Media's CEO (Shelby Bonnie) is a billionaire and could probably keep the company going for quite a while all on his own. But an unprofitable company is not a successful company. "
And I don't think he cares about it that much.
Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Noodles

I'm not saying that I'm suprised that GiantBomb can stay afloat. I'm just suprised that we aren't bombarded with ads, when, for all intents and purposes, we should be. At the end of the day Whiskey Media is a company, not our internet BFFs.

I wish Brad was my internet BFF.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Noodles said:
"I wish Brad was my internet BFF. "
I want more than BFF
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Death_Unicorn
@DystopiaX: He does have his own private Whiskey Media office!
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ch13696

What short podcast? I didn't get one.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DanielJW
@ch13696: Go to the Bombcast page. They have 45 mintue-ish podcast talking about the subscriber stuff. 
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By ReyGitano
@Thayne24 said:
I've said it before; I feel like the people who are angry haven't actually sat down and listened to that podcast.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696
@DanielJW said:
" @ch13696: Go to the Bombcast page. They have 45 mintue-ish podcast talking about the subscriber stuff.  "
Oh that one? I thought he was talking about a new one.
mikemosha90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By mikemosha90

Yup.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
YEAH!!..... OWWW!!

(That was the best Jeff Gerstmann impression I could achieve over the internet via text)
seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By seanbooker
where is this short bombcast? how do I get it? I did subscribe for the yearly plan.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Angel_Gamer said:

" where is this short bombcast? how do I get it? I did subscribe for the yearly plan. "

It's just the most recent Bombcast. It's Ryan, Jeff, and Dave talking about the subscription plan.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@SlashseveN303 said:
" @Thayne24 said:
I've said it before; I feel like the people who are angry haven't actually sat down and listened to that podcast. "
This is pretty much how I was. I was mad and angry, but then I listened to the podcast and realized I was being selfish and stupid.
Philzpilz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Philzpilz

See that bombcast didn't make it all make sense. It made me think the business people behind this are being stupid.

You don't put Jeff and Ryan out to shill for this thing which you know will be unpopular; however justified they may have thought it was, the internetz go crazy for anything.
You put a suit out there to explain it all, and then you don't make the guys talk about it, except in hushed voices and doing that kinda "aww shucks face" with the hissing noise people make then they realise they're doing something bad but can't stop it.

Net result; The GB crew look like they care about the community, the suits no-one knows about look bad for like a day, we hit the 5000 mark and everyone can say how stupid it all was to begin with, and how relieved they are.
If Jeff and Ryan start talking about how great it is that now everyone can listen to the bombcast, they'e going to sound like idiots giving how hard they tried to justify it.

johnnydough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By johnnydough
@Philzpilz said:
" See that bombcast didn't make it all make sense. It made me think the business people behind this are being stupid.  You don't put Jeff and Ryan out to shill for this thing which you know will be unpopular; however justified they may have thought it was, the internetz go crazy for anything. You put a suit out there to explain it all, and then you don't make the guys talk about it, except in hushed voices and doing that kinda "aww shucks face" with the hissing noise people make then they realise they're doing something bad but can't stop it.  Net result; The GB crew look like they care about the community, the suits no-one knows about look bad for like a day, we hit the 5000 mark and everyone can say how stupid it all was to begin with, and how relieved they are. If Jeff and Ryan start talking about how great it is that now everyone can listen to the bombcast, they'e going to sound like idiots giving how hard they tried to justify it. "
I think it was actually a really good way to explain the entire setup.  It was three guys that we're all familiar with, and they did a really good job of explaining what their options were and why they decided to go with the subscription model.

If it was a suit that came on and did an announcement, it would have been cold. With Jeff, Ryan and Dave explaining it, it was like a conversation with some friends.

This isn't something the crew should shy away from or speak about in hushed tones. This is a company, they need to make money, they have a solution that works to keep Whiskey Media funded and independent. This is all a good and happy thing. I don't think it's really that unpopular either, from the sounds of it a lot of us have been dying to throw some money toward this site. The stuff they do isn't cheap, and they deserve some monetary respect for that.

If you don't like it the subscription model, that's fine, don't subscribe. It's really that simple. Worst case is they'll split the podcast. You'll still get two hours of bombcast and they'll change the formatting so that getting the last half a week late won't be a big deal.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By trophyhunter

You mean the guilttripcast?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#23  Edited By alistercat

Alot of people feel betrayed a lied to, and they have listened to that podcast. They dont trust the people running the site anymore. I whole heartedly disagree with all of that stuff, but that's just how it goes. Some people are really suspicious and apprehensive of change and things they don't like.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous
@Philzpilz said:

" See that bombcast didn't make it all make sense. It made me think the business people behind this are being stupid.  You don't put Jeff and Ryan out to shill for this thing which you know will be unpopular; however justified they may have thought it was, the internetz go crazy for anything. You put a suit out there to explain it all, and then you don't make the guys talk about it, except in hushed voices and doing that kinda "aww shucks face" with the hissing noise people make then they realise they're doing something bad but can't stop it.  Net result; The GB crew look like they care about the community, the suits no-one knows about look bad for like a day, we hit the 5000 mark and everyone can say how stupid it all was to begin with, and how relieved they are. If Jeff and Ryan start talking about how great it is that now everyone can listen to the bombcast, they'e going to sound like idiots giving how hard they tried to justify it. "

Absolutely true.

@AlisterCat said:
" Alot of people feel betrayed a lied to, and they have listened to that podcast. They dont trust the people running the site anymore. "
This is the biggest problem, and it's nearly a direct result of the first quote.
Philzpilz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Philzpilz
@photosandtext: I have no problem understanding this is a business, I just think they ran this bit poorly.

Why are we on GB? If i want trailers or reviews there are dozens os sites, and it's not like there aren't enjoyable podcasts elsewhere. We're here because we like the environment, and we like the guys. The crew is the selling point of GB, and an important part of the crew is their image, which they should be protecting as a property, and this podcast didn't do a good job in.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ed957745ca5e
deactivated-5ed957745ca5e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Philzpilz said:
Dude this is my first post on GB (although I was here pretty much from the get go),
and I just logged in to say:
This.