#1 Posted by Aegon (5393 posts) -

A lot of the emails Ryan reads on the podcast are pretty interesting/funny or they have some sort of cool or mind blowing story attached to them. It makes me wonder how many of these emails Ryan never even opens. In any case, share your rejected emails. I've personally never sent one in, so I don't have one to share.

#2 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

ive never sent any either.

#3 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Never sent one either.

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

Both emails I've sent he answered with an email reply.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9567 posts) -

I sent one that asked if they thought game boxes should include key developer names more often. I suppose that would only give those people more power, not their parent companies.

Still, I think people should know the people who make their games. Trying to explain West and Zampella to my friend Adam (who loves military shooters) feels insane. Meanwhile if I said that Chris Nolan isn't doing the next Batman, he knows exactly what it means.

#6 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

I've sent like 10 emails over the course of a year and a half, but none of them have been answered or read. Here is one I sent back in July of 2011:

"Buenos Dias, Bombcasters, 

I recently watched a video dating back to 1999 in which Jeff talked about the Dreamcast on Good Morning America and was astonished to see the Jeff looked more-or-less as he does on this day! So Jeff, I ask, what is your secret? How have you avoided aging over these 12 years? Could you see a day in which Jeff's chemical essence is bottled and smeared onto the faces of self conscious aging ladies?"

#7 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

This is the most recent email I sent in:

Hey Bombcast,
On the 1/10/12 podcast, Patrick said he thought the idea of a pizza vending machine would make Little Caesar's even more ridiculous. Well, my high school featured a Tyson's Chicken Machine that sold chicken tenders, cheese fries, and Red Baron's Personal Pizzas. The machine was stocked as if it received turnover every week or so, but instead the machine was used maybe once or twice per week total. The machine even had a little microwave inside the machine that would heat up your food; in essence, the personal pizza was piping hot the moment it came out of the machine. My brother tells me it was finally removed the year after I graduated, but I managed to find and attach a picture of one that has two flavors of pizza.
Thanks for the hard work, and keep up the lengthy digressions.

And then this one last summer:

Hey, Bombcast!
Listening through the Ocarina of Time 3DS re-release discussion, one comment in particular piqued my interest. Brad specifically stated that people like coverage of Zelda games regardless of platform or "newness". I'm inclined to agree that people like coverage of Zelda games: only a few franchises (Half Life, Final Fantasy, and Mass Effect come to mind) have the same reaction when news stories are published.
But when a new remake of Final Fantasy comes out on a new platform (say, the most recent PSP Final Fantasy IV remake) it receives no coverage until it comes out, and then disappears without much fanfare. These remakes come not only with new graphics, but other redesigns, sometimes including entirely new dungeons (in the case of FF4, "The After Years" and that entirely new chapter whose name I can't recall.)
I guess my question to you, BombCast, is what makes those remakes less worth covering than some of the Zelda rereleases? Is it that Zelda rereleases happen closer to the platform's launch? I remember one of the first GBA games I played was A Link To The Past, and although it was entirely new to me at the age of ten, I was already comfortable having my parents order SNES games through the internet (Earthbound was the first) and only chose the GBA version because of the Four Swords content.
Thanks,
Alex from Chicago

And a year and a half ago, just after I'd started listening, this one:

Where does Brad watch his StarCraft II? I'd like to watch, and GOMtv.net seems the obvious place, but is there a better way?
Thanks,
Alex
Chicago, IL
#8 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

I sent one asking whether we hear the distinctive sounds of Jeff's Vocoder/Talkbox and Ryan's circuit bent child's toy, I also sent one asking whether Jeff preferred 7th Chamber Part 1 or Part 2

#9 Posted by Bollard (5243 posts) -

I sent one asking about Vinny's colourblindness in relation to red/blue 3D glasses, which they answered on the Bombcast. I was half asleep when I heard my name so didn't realise till they started reading the question!

#10 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I sent one that asked if they thought game boxes should include key developer names more often. I suppose that would only give those people more power, not their parent companies. Still, I think people should know the people who make their games. Trying to explain West and Zampella to my friend Adam (who loves military shooters) feels insane. Meanwhile if I said that Chris Nolan isn't doing the next Batman, he knows exactly what it means.

Well that makes sense, since film is a very authorial format while games are much less centralized especially here in the west. A film director can hold more influence and artistic control than any one person working on a game, those are much more team oriented.

Anyway I've never sent a question in. I guess I've never really had anything to ask.

#11 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

I once sent an email asking why'd they bleached their hair.

#12 Posted by crimsinf (143 posts) -

I've never sent in a question, but I have to say that as I read these emails, I can almost hear Ryan's voice in my head, as if he were reading them aloud. Yep, too much bombcast lately for me.

#13 Posted by 49th (2686 posts) -

I sent an email about moving your nose to a different body part one time, it was read out to my surprise.

#14 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Brodehouse said:

I sent one that asked if they thought game boxes should include key developer names more often. I suppose that would only give those people more power, not their parent companies. Still, I think people should know the people who make their games. Trying to explain West and Zampella to my friend Adam (who loves military shooters) feels insane. Meanwhile if I said that Chris Nolan isn't doing the next Batman, he knows exactly what it means.

Well that makes sense, since film is a very authorial format while games are much less centralized especially here in the west. A film director can hold more influence and artistic control than any one person working on a game, those are much more team oriented.

Anyway I've never sent a question in. I guess I've never really had anything to ask.

I dont know... I don't see much of a difference between 300 people working on a movie or on a game. And some really famous game creators such as Kojima, for example, probably have more control over every aspect of their work than most movie directors.

#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@CptBedlam: Well like I mentioned, the western game dev scene doesn't have the same authorial bent as other places. Japan especially. They still have that. In games, final decisions are very often made by committee, in film it's often one or two people with a vision who make any and all final calls.

There is a difference in approaches and it leads to games with broader, more general appeal, while the authorial system in Japan has lead to some of the craziest games ever made because they were so much more personal. You can also see this in indie games in the west. But big budget western games aren't made like the movies and because of that I don't feel like people like West and Zampella can take all that much credit. Probably not enough to be the name on the box.

#16 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@MikkaQ: In recent years, there have been quite a few personalities emerging from the Western game development scene. Guys like Ken Levine etc. who then, after finding success, go on and make the game that they want to make.

#17 Edited by smcn (871 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Weird, I've been thinking about that lately too. I think the problem is, who exerts the most control over the development of a video game? Whose name matters? There are so many moving parts compared to movies. There are plenty of directors where you see the name and feel safe in making assumptions about the film.

I also think publishers have too much control over game development to the point that the names mean almost nothing even if we had them. Take Dragon Age for example. You look at the credits for DA2, there are a lot of the same names from Origins, but there are also a lot of names missing. Origins had a 6+ year development cycle and was a big hit. Now who do you think wanted to pump out another sequel in just two years (and with less staff) to ride that wave, BioWare or EA?

#18 Posted by Drebin_893 (2899 posts) -

@49th said:

I sent an email about moving your nose to a different body part one time, it was read out to my surprise.

Oh man, I love you so much for that.

#19 Posted by Hunter5024 (5534 posts) -

I've sent in like 5 or 6 emails over the years and I never heard back about any of them. I don't remember what any of them were but I'm sure they were awesome.

#20 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

This is going to be a great thread. No really, I'm not being sarcastic!

#21 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

"Hey Bombcast, are IGN cast got the worst hair?"

#22 Edited by BBAlpert (1366 posts) -

I've sent in 2, neither of which made it to the podcast. One was asking if they had any thoughts about the current state and future of "edutainment" games, and whether the late 80's/ early 90's were in fact something of a golden age for the genre (or if that's just my impression because I was a child at the time).

The other was a semi-serious question about the viability of a ham radio simulation game for the fans of hardcore flight sims and the like. Since it didn't get read on the air, but I was still curious, I made a topic about it a week or two ago (www.giantbomb.com/forums/bombcast/32/would-you-play-a-ham-radio-sim-game/554527/)

I'm on the fence about sending any more in. I'd love to get a question read, but I always end up just impatiently waiting for my question instead of being able to simply enjoy the show (and then getting unreasonably disappointed when it doesn't make the cut).

#23 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

I sent one in that was read on an emails only bombcast about a new and upcoming movie called Fast 5 and how dumb I thought it would be.

One that didn't get read out, again about Fast 5 went something like this:

What is a better alternate title for Fast 5?
Safe Driving
or
When bald men collide
#24 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

I've only sent one, and it was read on air.

#25 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Here's one I sent this week that Alsi was not read:

"Hello Bomb Crew,

Earlier on the 'cast, Ryan mentioned his distaste for the rabid cooling witnessed with most french fries, rendering them all but inedible, and I wanted to know if you lot supposed this trend could be assuaged if eateries offered a single, gigantic fry, rather than many small ones. Would the decreased surface area work to effect a slower cooling? More importantly, would you be willing to try such a thing?

Thanks, love the show, and congratulations on the 300th episode :)"

#26 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I haven't sent one in for a few years. I remember them reading one in which I asked whether Max Payne was still worth playing after Alan Wake piqued my Remedy interest, and felt no need to have my name read on the bombcast again.

I do think I remember writing in a question before that about what contact they have with companies who want to use their review or preview quotes, and if there's anything stopping game publishers from turning "this is not the best game ever, but it is at least playable" to "this is...the best game ever"

#27 Posted by EthanielRain (764 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

Here's one I sent this week that Alsi was not read: "Hello Bomb Crew, Earlier on the 'cast, Ryan mentioned his distaste for the rabid cooling witnessed with most french fries, rendering them all but inedible, and I wanted to know if you lot supposed this trend could be assuaged if eateries offered a single, gigantic fry, rather than many small ones. Would the decreased surface area work to effect a slower cooling? More importantly, would you be willing to try such a thing? Thanks, love the show, and congratulations on the 300th episode :)"

Giant fry is genius IMO.

#28 Edited by Zleunamme (650 posts) -

I never sent an e-mail to the Bombcast. Here are my guess - based on observation - on why not all e-mails get read. Huge copy of text that is long winded and boring to read. Questions that intrude their personal lives. Poorly written e-mails that they have to struggle in order to understand what the question is asking. Multiples e-mails that ask the same question. Question that only serve as flame bait. The Bombast would go on longer if they decided to read every message. You don't know if you don't ask them.

#29 Posted by Aegon (5393 posts) -

@EthanielRain said:

@chrismafuchris said:

Here's one I sent this week that Alsi was not read: "Hello Bomb Crew, Earlier on the 'cast, Ryan mentioned his distaste for the rabid cooling witnessed with most french fries, rendering them all but inedible, and I wanted to know if you lot supposed this trend could be assuaged if eateries offered a single, gigantic fry, rather than many small ones. Would the decreased surface area work to effect a slower cooling? More importantly, would you be willing to try such a thing? Thanks, love the show, and congratulations on the 300th episode :)"

Giant fry is genius IMO.

Giant...French Fry?

Although...depending on how it's prepared, it could end up just being mashed potatoes covered in a skin.

#30 Posted by Liquidsolidus (66 posts) -

I sent an email back in like February, that was actually read on the Bombcast. It was about the little red curve that appears on screen when you get hurt in alot of action games and whatnot, to which Jeff coined it as the "Directional Damage Indicator". I remember I was playing Skyrim when Ryan started reading the email, and immediately Alt-Tabbed and paused the podcast before he could say too much, because I had to take a moment to take in what was happening, my stomach got so flippy XD It also stood out as quite humorous to me, as Ryan misread my location, saying Redmond, VA, instead of Richmond, VA. I cringe at the thought that there's someone else with my name in a city called Redmond in my state who just so happened to send the exact same email.

#31 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

I sent one years ago, it was something about food and video games, that's all I know lol.

#32 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I sent one asking their opinion on saving seats at a movie theater. Not the best question but I still really want to know where people fall on that.

#33 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

Never to the Bombcast but I did submit a game idea to the NDX podcast, which Jeff read out. Window Cleaning Hero I believe it was called.

#34 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Sent one years ago, when I was at the peak of my anger of Culdcept Saga not being released in Europe. I was asking why Namco Bandai bothered to translate the game to English, release it in the US, and region lock it so fans outside the US couldn't even import it. Bunch of fuckers, I get angry just thinking about it again.

#35 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -

I can't remember when I did send this email, but it looked something like this:

"Hey BombCast,

Persona 4 is really hot right now. Even though it was released more than 3 years ago, it's got a new fighting game, an extended version and an anime series. And these are just from this year. Do you guys know any other game that got this much attention after years of its release?"

#36 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

I sent one a few weeks ago, after the Pokemon Conquest QL. That was the second time I could remember that Vinny and Ryan had questioned the ethics of Pokemon capturing and training, so I asked if they thought a Pokemon revolution was forthcoming.

It wasn't read on the 'Cast proper, but Ryan e-mailed me back personally. Someting along the lines of "Yes, we are well and truly fucked."

#37 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Hello, Bombcast

I'm a big fan of the show and wanted to see if you could help me make an important decision:

I have a dilemma! You see, some two weeks ago, while I was shopping for soap at a local grocery chain whose name happens to rhyme with TafeSay, I happened to come across a body wash of supposed "attraction boosting" properties. "Imbued with pheromones!", it boasted in silvery letters against a royal blue background, right above a graphic of a candy apple red magnet. I thought to myself "Well, this is incredibly stupid", and promptly bought it without hesitation. For the irony, I suppose you could say. However, since making that purchase, not one, not two, but THREE girls have complimented me on my smell. As much as I love being complimented, in my head, I feel like if I bought the body was a second time, I would cease to be ironic, and regardless of whatever that Plato schmo might think, I think the second I start using pheromone infused body wash earnestly is the second I become a bad person. That is just not a threshold I am willing to cross, you hear?What can I do?

Sent from my iPod

#38 Posted by umair56 (6 posts) -

@49th said:

I remember that! Great email, lol.

#39 Posted by wafflez (523 posts) -

I've sent a few, had one answered.  The most recent one was earlier this year when ME3 came out and Brad was Playing Doom 2.  I asked who would win in a fight, a Reaper or a room full of Arch-Viles.  It wasn't answered :(

#40 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Email: I have a hypothetical question for someone at the table. Pick whoever, I don't care.

Think of someone who is your friend (do not select your best friend, but make sure the person is someone you classify as considerably more than an acquaintance).

This friend is going to be attacked by a grizzly bear. Now, this person will survive this bear attack; that is guaranteed. There is a 100 percent chance that your friend will live. However, the extent of his injuries is unknown; he might receive nothing but a few superficial scratches, but he might also lose a limb (or multiple limbs). He might recover completely ni 24 hours with nothing but a great story, or he might spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

Somehow, you have the ability to stop this attack from happening. You can magically save your friend from the bear. But his salvation will come at a peculiar price: If you choose to stop the bear, it will always rain. For the rest of your life, wherever you go, it will be raining. Sometimes it will pour and sometimes it will drizzle - but it will never NOT be raining. But it won't rain over the totality of the earth, nor will the hydrological cycle be disrupted; these storm clouds will be isolated, and they will focus entirely on your specific whereabouts. You will never see the sun again.

Do you stop the bear and accept a lifetime of rain?

Responce: What the hell is wrong with you

Love,

Bombcast!