• 157 results
Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) 9 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Premium Members! Bombcast: With Ads or Ad-free? (969 votes)

With Ads 34%
Ad-Free 12%
Jeff's Radio-DJ voice is awesome 53%
Other 2%

Which flavour of Bombcast do you most enjoy!?

So a line has been drawn in the sand! For those who don't know, premium members are getting an ad-free version of the bombcast in their premium podcast feeds (continuing the site's standing commitment to no ads for premium members). I think it's a nice gesture and am happy the option is there.

However, I personally fucking love the delivery and method of ads in this week's bombcast, and honestly squarespace aint bad so I prefer the with-ads flavour. (although, if the ads start getting bad and/or lame, I'll switch over)

How about you!?

#101 Posted by spraynardtatum (2528 posts) -
#102 Posted by WebScud (114 posts) -

So far, I've been finding the ads funny.

There's not anything exclusive in the premium version is there? Am I missing out by not listening to that?

#103 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2860 posts) -

I don't even know how to get a premium podcast...

It's fine, either way. pADcast is cool too.

#104 Posted by MormonWarrior (2530 posts) -

I like the ads. There's enough snark and humor in the bits that I enjoy them.

I especially like them on Idle Thumbs when Brad's voice comes on espousing the virtues of Audible. It makes me laugh that they're still using his clip.

#105 Edited by DoctorTran (1544 posts) -

Unless it starts becoming like most Kevin Smith Smodcast network podcasts that have 4-6 minutes of ads at te beginning, middle, and end, about 15-20 minutes of ads, then yeah, ad free. That said, their 2 minutes or less ads are great and Jeff knocks them out of the park.

#106 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

Ad free.

#107 Edited by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

If they put the same gusto into the ads each week, I'm on board.

I imagine that they would need to regularly change who advertises on the podcast every 2 weeks and what the ad is for to keep their gusto fresh but yeah I'm fine with anything that gets these guys more cashamundo's.

#108 Posted by Nictel (2365 posts) -

With ads, I think they're kind of entertaining when they do them themselves. Also if it gets them an extra penny why not.

#109 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

It's like 5 seconds long who cares

#110 Edited by chilibean_3 (1611 posts) -

@geraltitude: There's a drop down when you go over the Podcast tab. Select Premium Podcasts under that.

#111 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

I can't believe people are actually paying to not hear the guys read the ads. Thats fucking insane.

#112 Posted by Doomed (192 posts) -

Brad's advertisement reading sucked. Jeff's were awesome.

#113 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3097 posts) -

They have fun with the ads so it doesn't bother me one bit.

#114 Posted by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

If they put the same gusto into the ads each week, I'm on board.

I imagine that they would need to regularly change who advertises on the podcast every 2 weeks and what the ad is for to keep their gusto fresh but yeah I'm fine with anything that gets these guys more cashamundo's.

Considering how Vinny handled it, they can do quite a bit with it. ha. We'll see!

#115 Edited by development (1998 posts) -

Same as you. If the ads get bad, I'll have a problem. But as of right now they just... add to it.

Also, people should keep in mind that the podcast is between 2 and 3 hours. That's fucking looooooooong. It's not like MBMBaM or something, where it's 50 minutes, and 30 of it is centered around multiple ads.

#116 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

WHY IS MY MICROPHONE OFF!?!

Which bombcast was that again? That was hilarious, lol.

#117 Posted by Sterling (2053 posts) -

@apparatus_unearth: I wonder what the sponsor thinks of how they are goofing around while reading the ads.

#118 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5182 posts) -
#119 Posted by Aleryn (703 posts) -

I really like Jeff's concise and goofy advertisements but I chose ad-free because I'd rather not hear a drawn out conversation about the product after the spiel.

#120 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I appreciate that an ad-free version is offered to subscribers.

#121 Posted by mems1224 (166 posts) -

I dont mind the ads during the podcast, especially they way GB does them.

#122 Edited by SharkEthic (1003 posts) -

@sharkethic said:

WHY IS MY MICROPHONE OFF!?!

Which bombcast was that again? That was hilarious, lol.

It was the first one they did with commercials.. probably the one that came out around the time this thread started.

#123 Posted by Fattony12000 (6961 posts) -

Jeff's Radio-DJ voice is awesome (Your vote)

#124 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The only thing that is annoying about the ads is that Squarespace are literally everywhere at the moment and it's painful to hear hosts try and convince you that they actually give a shit. (except in the case of GB who just take the piss)

#125 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Just waiting on ad block to start skipping podcast ads. Winning!

#126 Posted by shinjin977 (743 posts) -

I say they do everything they need to do to continue to be great. Ads or whatever.

#127 Posted by Sessh (691 posts) -

Yeah, I don't mind the ads at all, since everything that keeps them going is a good thing. Also Jeff's Radio-DJ voice is indeed awesome.

#128 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

I don't subscribe but I have to say, the ads have been one of the funnier parts of the podcasts they've been on (legit) so you're missing out without them.

#129 Posted by Rafaelfc (1311 posts) -

Ideally ad free. but if they can get paid and continue to do ads in such a hilarious manner, i'm all for it.

#130 Posted by Stonyman65 (2570 posts) -

I don't mind the ads at all. I think it's kind of funny, actually.

#131 Edited by spraynardtatum (2528 posts) -

Ad free. Is it possible to subscribe on iTunes to the ad free version or can you only get it through RSS or here? I have an old iPod that isn't internet connected.

#132 Posted by CharlesDA (51 posts) -

They have good banter and the Wii shop music, so the ads are fine by me.

#133 Edited by LucidDreams117 (375 posts) -

They're not annoying and the crew make it fun and don't make it seem like a chore. I enjoy em very much. Like someone said, for a two minute ad in a 3 hour podcast is nothing and when I listen to the bombcast on my phone, I don't sign into my account. No complaints here :)

#134 Posted by LucidDreams117 (375 posts) -

Also, the ads or rather lack of, is not the reason I'm a premium member. It's the content! Some of the best on the web and hands down the best selection, variety and just awesomeness on the site in a while!

#135 Posted by AMonkey (116 posts) -

I don't really care, I don't find the ads intrusive.

#136 Posted by wchue (69 posts) -

i'm for the option that keeps it going!

#137 Edited by Sammo21 (3203 posts) -

The ads don't bother me and I am a paying member. My iTunes feed will probably still pull the ad included version and it will be OK. I will admit that this was the first year I had to question whether or not I want to continue being a paid member or not and obviously I decided to go with it. I like to support things I enjoy so maybe my support will allow them to expand stuff or maybe one day hire another staffer.

#138 Posted by Regal (434 posts) -

Did I somehow manage to subscribe to the ad-free feed in the podcast app - or hasn't there been any ads since the ad in the first ad-sponsored podcast? Ad.

#139 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1527 posts) -

@regal said:

Did I somehow manage to subscribe to the ad-free feed in the podcast app - or hasn't there been any ads since the ad in the first ad-sponsored podcast? Ad.

There has been no ad since the first couple. They said it's a test and I assume it will take some time to figure out if it was a successfull one.

#140 Posted by ragintaft (48 posts) -

The ads don't bother me at all. The Bombcast crew does them really well, and I actually enjoy listening to their banter during the ad.

#141 Posted by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

While I like the delivery of the ads, am I the only one bothered by the fact that they have ads in the podcast when they were acquired by a billion dollar company? It's not like the site is independent or whatever anymore, they have financial backing. Shouldn't cbs have enough money to where they didn't need to do this?

#142 Edited by Fattony12000 (6961 posts) -

While I like the delivery of the ads, am I the only one bothered by the fact that they have ads in the podcast when they were acquired by a billion dollar company? It's not like the site is independent or whatever anymore, they have financial backing. Shouldn't cbs have enough money to where they didn't need to do this?

That's just about the complete opposite of how it works, unfortunately!

#143 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -

@raven_sword said:

I know right, buy something then just DUMP money into it. Get any of that money back you say? Man, you throw dark! This is 2014, that's not how things work!

#144 Edited by SharkEthic (1003 posts) -

@raven_sword: Many of those billions comes from ad revenue, and I don't think you'll ever hear business people say "What the hell, we have enough money, let's just give this product away".

#145 Posted by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

@sharkethic: I guess, just saying its kinda irked me a bit. It's not bothering me enough to effect my love of the site . Again, I don't mind the way there doing the ads, just questioning why they were needed in the first place. If it means these guys can keep doing what there doing, then I'm all for it .

#146 Posted by kagato (886 posts) -

Although ive let my sub lapse until i get paid again, i dont mind! Jeff and Vinie still manage to sound funny when selling squarespace or stamps.com so even when im resubbed i'll probably keep downloading the free version to hear the ad.

#147 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

These stamps ads are always awesome and I love listening to these. They are the perfect start into a bombcast.

#148 Edited by zombiepenguin9 (526 posts) -

I really enjoy them. Jeff and Vinny have been knocking it out of the park with the stamps.com ads.

#149 Edited by AndrewB (7445 posts) -

If I could have ever gotten the premium feed to work properly, I'd prefer the ad-free version only because I listen to other podcasts and hear the same delivery (with a much more intersting twist in the Bombcast, granted) of the same ads so often that I'm tired of it. Instead, at least I get to hear a much more off-script read.

#150 Posted by Droop (1827 posts) -

I get them through iTunes so there are ads anyway. But I think they are fun so I don't mind.