Pumping up the volume

Fillem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fillem

I was wondering if it's possible to increase the volume on the podcasts. Using Instacast the volume is pretty darn low when I got it maxed out on my Iphone. When cycling through traffic I can hardly hear anything.

The E3 podcasts were especially bad and had to miss out on those during my daily commutes :(

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tylea002

Not to rain on your parade but, holy shit do not listen to anything whilst cycling. Dude. You may end up DEAD.

It's always a fine volume for me, but I have those in ear bud headphones, which are way way better at noie cancelling.

Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Heylook

In the normal GB podcast studio they use what is called a Limiter to squish the dynamic range of the podcast to more of a flat line in terms of volume increase or decreasing through-out the recording. this makes everything sound much louder and well, compressed.

However , I doubt that they bombers decided to lug a limiter to the E3 studio thus the audio is not limited leaving it with its natural dynamic range from the guests talking, which means the volume will be loud at some points but it will drop out throughout the recording.

You can also limit stuff as you see fit if you have the proper software and plug-ins.

Fillem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Fillem

Maybe I already have hearing damage then since I also use ear plugs. For instance, the Gamers with Jobs podcast is fine yet the Bombcast is not. Ah well, guess I'll save those for the quiet bike rides.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By swoxx

I use an iphone and a pair of Shure SE535, Volume is totally fine for me whilst cycling, even in traffic. I'm not even close to maxing it and I use instacast as well. So I don't know what the problem could be.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By psylah

If you can't find a software solution, there is a small battery powered device called a Boostaroo that is an amp/splitter. Depending on how much you want to carry around, this could be an acceptable alternative.

Other hi-fidelity pocket amps can cost a small fortune.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By psylah

@Swoxx said:

I use an iphone and a pair of Shure SE535, Volume is totally fine for me whilst cycling, even in traffic. I'm not even close to maxing it and I use instacast as well. So I don't know what the problem could be.

Don't all of Apple's audio devices have volume limiters built in? My iPod Classic has it under Settings > Volume Limit.

Maybe the OP has the volume limiter turned on by accident?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nekroskop

Use an audioprogram to up the volume yourself.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By kindgineer

@psylah said:

@Swoxx said:

Don't all of Apple's audio devices have volume limiters built in? My iPod Classic has it under Settings > Volume Limit.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By swoxx

@ck1nd said:

@psylah said:

@Swoxx said:

That should only apply if you're using the ipods/iphone's built in audio player though.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By D_W

It would be nice if they did some most post production on the podcasts. Even if it was just: Select all, normalize to -0.1dB, noise reduction, then upload. 

But sadly few folks that do any sort of internet entertainment seem to know anything about audio production.