Q: Good Bombcast segment to transcribe for paper?

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ColonelRick

Hey duders,

Odd question, but: I'm writing a discourse analysis paper in which I have to apply a (post-)Labovian analysis on a short narrative - basically identify and label parts of the narrative and the functions they serve. I've 'elicited' a story from a friend over Skype, but I feel it is a bit flat, i.e. identifying various the various parts of the narrative is a bit hard and would require some, ahem, creative thinking. So, I turned to the Bombcast to find myself a narrative with some punch to it: The incident where Ryan inadvertedly narc'd out some pot smokers at a local hilton. The only problem with that story is that a transcript of it would be overly long for the paper, which brings me to my question: Does anyone know of a funny bombcast short anecdote that would fit on a single page?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'm having trouble thinking of short ones from the bombcast. Alex's summer slam weekend from Bomin' the AM with Scoops and the Wolf(TM) might be short enough. Also, there might be some short stories from tested.com's Dadcasts (starring Vinny and Jeff Green), or their shorter podcasts with Adam Savage. He always tells little off topic anecdotes and that podcast is only like 25 minutes long to begin with.

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ColonelRick

@mosespippy said:

I'm having trouble thinking of short ones from the bombcast. Alex's summer slam weekend from Bomin' the AM with Scoops and the Wolf(TM) might be short enough. Also, there might be some short stories from tested.com's Dadcasts (starring Vinny and Jeff Green), or their shorter podcasts with Adam Savage. He always tells little off topic anecdotes and that podcast is only like 25 minutes long to begin with.

I've gone with Justin Mcelroy's story about attending the demo for Sherlock Holmes V (VI?) from E3 2011. No idea how I found that, I just stumbled on it browsing bombcast fragments. It's slightly over one page long, but it will have to do. The weird double spacing requirement is making this take up much more space than it would actually need.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

@colonelrick said:

@mosespippy said:

I've gone with Justin Mcelroy's story about attending the demo for Sherlock Holmes V (VI?) from E3 2011. No idea how I found that, I just stumbled on it browsing bombcast fragments. It's slightly over one page long, but it will have to do. The weird double spacing requirement is making this take up much more space than it would actually need.

When I was at work today I remembered the Urban Crime in Peteluma story from Jeff. I bet that is short enough. The one about kids with a shopping cart full of liquor leaving safeway.

Edit: Some word processors make it easy to format with a 1.8 or 1.9 spacing instead of 2.0 spacing, so you can fudge it to make it as long or as short as it needs to be without being noticeably off. I've also known people who use different fonts or increased font sizes on punctuation to make things fit the way they want it to without being noticeable.