Regarding premium podcasts

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I've noticed that if you click "premium podcasts" in the little tab, it appears to list the regular bombcast episodes with the word (premium) in brackets. Are these simply versions without Jeff and Vinny's advertisement segment or is there more to it than that?

Furthermore, does anyone know exactly how subscribing to the premium casts is supposed to work? The regular bombcast and Bombin in the AM download automatically to my ipod when a new episode is ready, but I've only been able to get one episode of the Powerbombcast. How exactly does subscriber content work with itunes?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my splurge of questions, guys.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes the premium version is the regular podcast without the ads.

To subscribe to the premium feed I think you need to ad it manually and it will prompt you for your giant bomb login details. At least that's how it works with instacast.

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v: So when you say "add it manually" do you mean through itunes? I can't even seem to find them listed there.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamakan_inc: i don't think they are searchable through iTunes, I'm not 100% sure as I don't use iTunes for podcasts. I just copy the RSS feed link and paste it in to instacast. I'm assuming there is some kind of "manual entry" option in iTunes where you can paste it.

Criven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I came to the forum looking to ask the same question. Thanks for dropping the info.

Seems that is it is much easier to just pull down the free cast. You would be hard pressed to call the banter between Jeff and Vinny prior to the theme song "ads"

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

The only difference between them is that it doesn't have the ads in them like the regular Bombcasts do every now and then. That's it. If you don't mind the ads (I think they're hilarious), just download the regular one and don't bother with the Premium version.

As far as how the Premium feed works, when the site switched over for some reason the premium feed didn't work anymore, so I ended up asking Rorie if he knew what was going on and how to fix it - basically what happened is that the log in field in the RSS feed changed, so the old RSS address didn't work so I needed to use the new one. What you need to do is manually input that feed into iTunes or whatever RSS feed you are using and log in from there, and then sync that with whatever you are using for playback.

Here's the RSS feed address: http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/ (replace USERNAME and PASSWORD fields with your username and password)

sam33r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By sam33r

@stonyman65 thanks a lot! I'd been looking for a way to include it in my podcast app, and it wasn't working without the username:password.

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: Thank you, that actually solves all of my problems.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Baillie

@stonyman65: Holy shit, you are absolutely fucking amazing. I haven't been able to figure out a way to make the premium podcasts work in conjunction with the other podcasts, I was having to do a whole sync thing through itunes and then onto my phone. This works perfectly for Pocket Casts (an awesome podcast app, check it out!)

Thank you so much, you're absolutely god damn fucking awesome.