Retro Quick Look Suggestions

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TheKidNixon

So during the Bombcast, the guys mentioned in response to a letter the possibility of doing "Retro Quick Looks", primarily for games that might be lesser known and remarkable/infamous enough to take a look at. They asked for some suggestions. So why don't we suggest some stuff?

First things that come to my mind:

Dr. Chaos: A fairly unique NES game I recently picked up that utilizes an inventory system and switches between side-scrolling and first person exploration aspects. Actually could be seen as a prototype for later "Survival Horror" games, though of course the sprites are more amusing than terrifying at this point. (That Grandma in a mumu is a different story.

Winback: Covert Operations: Severely underrated N64 cover-based shooter. I remember when I first played this in high school, my first impression was that it was basically Time Crisis, only with direct control of where my character could move. Of course, cover-based games is nothing new now, but it felt fairly fresh when I played it. Plus, it has a covert operations team named S.C.A.T.

Muscle Bomber/Saturday Night Slam Masters: A fairly simple wrestling game that plays more like Final Fight than Street Fighter, the character and craziness of this game is worth taking a look at. Granted, this is a major childhood favorite, so that might taint my view of it being worth a look at.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I don't know, but it should be called 'a quick look back.'

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive
TooWalrus said:
"I don't know, but it should be called 'a quick look back.'"
good call!
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tylea002
TwoOneFive said:
"TooWalrus said:
"I don't know, but it should be called 'a quick look back.'"
good call!
"
I second this motion.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By weltal

Hmm, perhaps Vampire: The Masquerade -Bloodlines. It's a fairly newish game that a lot of people overlooked because of bug issues. That or it should be the next Endurance Run... I dunno a whole lot of quality over-looked titles though. Maybe Dave could do an episode with Silent Storm.

Also, I believe the new segment should be called Past Blasters with Jeff and the Gang.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By SlowHands

Mr. Domino, please and thank you.

RIVERSIDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By RIVERSIDER

mega man soccer

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Binman88
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Zool and Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus (although they are fairly well known, they deserve more recognition than they get).

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Mr. Bones for the Saturn

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I'd love some quick looks for older games in a series when newer games are coming out, such as an NES Bionic Commando quick look.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheKidNixon
SpaceInsomniac said:
"I'd love some quick looks for older games in a series when newer games are coming out, such as an NES Bionic Commando quick look."
Hey, I actually support this. Or if not games that are being remade, maybe a old game thematically similar (IE, back when Street Fighter IV was coming out, maybe look at some of the more...entertaining SF2 clones that plagued the 90s.)
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilDingo

If the concept is similar to their ordinary "Quick Look" - the game they choose really should be games that are able to present themselves within the first 20-30 minutes, which is what a Quick Looks usually are. So games like Psychonauts or Grim Fandango are probably a better fit for an endurance run :-)

I don't know if I can think of anything obscure enough, but as they mentioned themselves on the Bombcast: Anything on the Jaguar is pretty obscure and something people have missed and are not likely to ever pick up.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Not_Rage

Gizmondo games! Everyone knows about Gizmondo's  failure, but the games havn't really been shown.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Systech

Earthbound because it doesn't get enough love.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper

Earthworm Jim 1 (SNES).

It's quite hard but the art style is awesome and it's really funny. The music's great too.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond

Umihara Kawase on Super Famicom or Japan PS1

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilDingo
systech said:
"Earthbound because it doesn't get enough love."
Plenty of people seem to give that game "love"... But you can of cause always argue how much "enough" is.
I've only played what amounts to a quick look of that game though, and that obviously didn't sell me on the game :-)

Seriously though, it's kinda hard to imagine anyone getting anything meaningful out of a quick look of any RPG.
I imagine you couldn't even get passed the opening movie in most Square games in 20-30 minutes time.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Systech
EvilDingo said:
"systech said:
Plenty of people seem to give that game "love"... But you can of cause always argue how much "enough" is.
I've only played what amounts to a quick look of that game though, and that obviously didn't sell me on the game :-)

Seriously though, it's kinda hard to imagine anyone getting anything meaningful out of a quick look of any RPG.
I imagine you couldn't even get passed the opening movie in most Square games in 20-30 minutes time.
"
There's never enough for us Mother fans. Mostly because Nintendo is too busy dangling two unreleased games in our faces.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By BoG
RIVERSIDER said:
"mega man soccer"
Agreed. I actually really liked that game when I was younger.
I'd say we need a Metal Slug quick look, and a DDR quick look just to see Jeff groove.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Not_Rage
BoG said:
"RIVERSIDER said:
"mega man soccer"
I'd say we need a Metal Slug quick look, and a DDR quick look just to see Jeff groove.
"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyr2X4znvy0
Rythem and Groove!
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoG
Not_Rage said:
"BoG said:
"RIVERSIDER said:
"mega man soccer"
"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyr2X4znvy0
Rythem and Groove!
"
!
That's way below his level. He didn't even groove!
Oh well, it's ok, as I've thought up another one:
Cho Aniki. It's on the virtual console. Look it up.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheKidNixon
BoG said:
"Not_Rage said:
"
Whoa, when did that get on Virtual Console? Doesn't Nintendo know that will melt all those impressionable children that must be protected from predators? And what is it rated?!? These questions demand answers!
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BoG
TheKidNixon said:
"BoG said:
"Not_Rage said:
"
Whoa, when did that get on Virtual Console? Doesn't Nintendo know that will melt all those impressionable children that must be protected from predators? And what is it rated?!? These questions demand answers!"
I have absolutely no idea. I was wondering the exact same things when I saw that it was an import title the other day. This is not the Nintendo of old.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dalai
systech said:
"EvilDingo said:
"systech said:

"
There's never enough for us Mother fans. Mostly because Nintendo is too busy dangling two unreleased games in our faces."
True that, but Earthbound is more suitable for a Retro Endurance Run.  Make it happen!
NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NoDeath
Dalai said:
"systech said:
"EvilDingo said:
"systech said:

"
There's never enough for us Mother fans. Mostly because Nintendo is too busy dangling two unreleased games in our faces."
True that, but Earthbound is more suitable for a Retro Endurance Run.  Make it happen!"
Who said QL's have to go from the start. I think one of Earthbound that was did a bit from say Twoson, maybe a segment starting from the end of Happy Happy village, get Paula and then go through the dungeon to get the second melody. I think that would be a good segment that shows off most of the general aspects of the game.
DarthNusair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarthNusair

I would suggest awesomely bizarre games like Typing Of The Dead, Mischief Makers, and the like.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EvilDingo

I suggest Turrican 2 for the Amiga.

Jeff has previously mentioned that he didn't quite get europeans love for the series - I believe the Amiga version of this game is that reason.
The influences from Contra and Metroid are apparent - but if you didn't grow up with a Nintendo you wouldn't know.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By buzz_clik
SlowHands said:
"Mr. Domino, please and thank you."
I came in here specifically to request the same thing. Noice.

P.S. Nothing can stop that little effer.
joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joey2683

Shadowrun for the SNES.

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By joey2683

Now that I think of it. Actraiser and Rampart for the SNES as well. I'd like to see Jeff, Ryan and/or Vinny play Rampart.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ma_rc_01

how about Quick look: origins or Ye olde Quick Looke

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King

Mickey's Dangerous Chase, a surprisingly decent platformer on the original Game Boy.

alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By alsnuts2

Psychonauts I think would be a prime example of what a good RQL could be.
A game not everyone has played and something that would certainly have some interesting things to show off.  I played it and I dont remember a game that just blew me away with the style and writing that that game did.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#36  Edited By JackiJinx
Base Wars. I don't care how old it is, it deserves a look.
iamthemoneyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iamthemoneyj

the world ends with you

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dethfish
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39  Edited By Geno

I think their retro quick look should be on games that are older, but also something that people would realistically play, e.g. no DOS games (or at least games that aren't available on DOS emus like Commander Keen), no games older than the SNES or N64, no extremely obscure games that have like 5 copies in the world etc.

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Volgin13

Glover!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#41  Edited By ArbitraryWater

A Retro Quick Look would have to be something obscure enough that not a ton of people would know about. Like anything on the Jaguar. Or the 3DO. I also think it would be pretty funny if they did an Atari 2600 quick look on Combat.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By Artie

Does Retro Look mean "pre-1995" cause I wouldn't mind if they looked at like Okami, or something I never played but everyone told me I should. Yakuza?

Neorub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Neorub

BLAST CORPS ON N64. I will send ya my copy if need be, send me a PM Giant Bomb crew.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TwoOneFive

how about some ngage games

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I think Retro Quick Looks should be on games which are actually available - there a whole ton of XBOX Originals for sale on Marketplace which sound awesome. I personally would love to see a Stubbs The Zombie Quick Look for example. It would be cool if we could get some more info on the games readily available. I'm not particularly interested on checking out a game that i'm never going to be able to track down and play for myself...

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Osaladin
alsnuts2 said:
"Psychonauts I think would be a prime example of what a good RQL could be. A game not everyone has played and something that would certainly have some interesting things to show off.  I played it and I dont remember a game that just blew me away with the style and writing that that game did."

I would love to see a Psychonauts quick look, as I never got the chance to play it.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Dany

I can't think of any but as people said, games that are atainable for someone off the street to get or from psn/live or wii