RSS Feed Changed or Broken?

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cook66

Did the new site kill the RSS feed? I got an error from my downloader today...

I tried clicking the RSS link in the podcast, but it links to this:

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/giant-bombcast/

Which doesn't seem to be a proper xml page?

TheTravis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They said before that the relaunch would likely fuck up the RSS feed, and it has. If you use the RSS link on the Bombcast page on the site now, it'll go to a different feed that has this week's episode and a few older ones, but it only goes back to sometime during the Game of the Year stuff. They said they're working on unfucking the RSS feed, but I imagine they've got plenty to work on with the new site so I don't know how long it'll take.

Avatar image for mushroommachine
mushroommachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mushroommachine

They said before that the relaunch would likely fuck up the RSS feed, and it has. If you use the RSS link on the Bombcast page on the site now, it'll go to a different feed that has this week's episode and a few older ones, but it only goes back to sometime during the Game of the Year stuff. They said they're working on unfucking the RSS feed, but I imagine they've got plenty to work on with the new site so I don't know how long it'll take.

Yeah, the new RSS only has the last ten podcasts on it, kinda annoying since I'm still catching up on the older ones but I'm sure its on their list.

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

@rchen: Please make sure the RSS feed contains all the previous bombcasts, not just the last 10 when you are done..

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

billygoat117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By billygoat117

So, I use Doggcatcher on Android, and I had to delete and re-add the feed to get the episodes to show properly. But now, even though the episodes show up, I can't download them. Any suggestions? I changed the feed URL to what @rchensaid to change it to, but to no avail.

Avatar image for mushroommachine
mushroommachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mushroommachine

@billygoat117: Not sure. I do remember that when I downloaded the latest podcast it took absolutely forever.

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rchen

@billygoat117:Crap, sorry about that, the RSS feed is just for links to the podcast page. The MRSS or Media / Downloadable RSS feed will be fixed tomorrow in our next code push.

LycanGav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billygoat117: Fellow Doggcatcher here, I changed the RSS URL manually to http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/giant-bombcast/ and it's back to behaving normally.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using Subsonic to download the mp3's and it does work with http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/giant-bombcast/ but I can't read that in my browser.

dougbrit2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By dougbrit2

in iTunes you can manually add the bombcast instead of using the iTunes podcast store.

File> Subscribe to podacst> paste in http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/giant-bombcast/

> Profit!

mchief22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dougbrit2: thanks duder, finally got it working!!

rev_vadaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys, I was having RSS feed trouble and this thread sorted it out.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm using BeyondPod and appending the end of the url with giant-bomcast/ as suggested above worked great.

Thanks for the tip!

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BoatDrinks

I'm using downcast, and while I've got the right rss feed of the last 10 episodes, every one of them says "No media file"

PaulKemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how about the videos for subscribers? I subscribe and download them as well, when will they be up again?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kishinfoulux

@aviar said:

I'm using BeyondPod and appending the end of the url with giant-bomcast/ as suggested above worked great.

Thanks for the tip!

I use BeyondPod as well. So what am I typing in then?

***edit*** Disregard. Totally didn't notice that post a few above. Works great now. Thanks guys.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

@dougbrit2: I GOT THAT SHIT, BRO! Hopefully, it's made so it just appears and I don't have to do that manually but still got it.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the mean time... where can I find the old episodes?? My backlog goes back to 2011, so...

preheatedbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@lycangav: this still the case? im trying to use this new rss url in doggcatcher and it keeps throwing an error because the description has an ampersand in it.

LycanGav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LycanGav

@preheatedbibby: Yeah, seems mines is now freaking out too, despite working fine yesterday. I guess Dave and co changed something about the feeds again?

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My iTunes Bombcast subscription has been totally buggered since the site launch - hasn't worked at any point, and still doesn't. And the iTunes sub button on the latest podcast page went to a new Bombcast podcast listing, that still doesn't have any actual podcasts attached to it.

Currently have both on my podcast subs page, waiting to see if either one starts working.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b6a5184ef33
deactivated-64b6a5184ef33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've reported this in the bug reporting forum, for those of you with podcatchers that perform strict XML validation and therefore are still unhappy (e.g. doggcatcher).

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

The app my phone uses does go back about 10 podcasts, but there's no download option. It just shows the description.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The current URL is : http://www.giantbomb.com/feeds/podcast/ I haven't tried downloading any via my podcast downloader (BeyondPod) yet.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Anyone still having problems with iTunes? I know Ryan said its fixed but still not fucking working

Nasharoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: If you subscribe to the bombcast in the charts it seems to be fine, it does however mean a duplicate feed.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@nasharoo: Yup, and now I have to download ever fucking one again, ugh

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff that is the issue I have now as well. I resubbed to the podcast in iTunes, all the episodes are there and they all play fine because I still have them downloaded. Only problem is iTunes insists that I still have to download them again and as far as I can find there is no way to tell it "fuck off all the files are right here in this folder". It looks like I will just have to Get All and let them all re-download. Not a major issue, but still an unnecessary annoyance with iTunes.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By musubi

I use Google Reader for my RSS stuff and the feed is still all jacked up its not showing any of the podcast from 2013 and has all of the pod casts mixed up.

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also having the iTunes duplicate issue. Pretty fucking annoying since opening the URL of the old feed in a browser redirects to the new one and looks fine. I guess a HTTP redirect is too complicated for iTunes. I wouldn't mind too much if I could find a way to edit the goddamn URL in any of the files iTunes has on my PC but that would be too easy. The only "solutions" I found on the web were for those publishing the podcasts, like this one: http://www.ehow.com/how_12143181_modify-podcast-already-itunes.html

Looks like it needs some new XML tags, though it wouldn't surprise me if they were already there and it just didn't work.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Having the same iTunes issue and it's bugging the shit out of me.

ryett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also having the itunes duplicate feed issue.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... any update on when the feed will be fixed ?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Snail

What media player are you using? And have tried unsubscring and resubscribing?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AuthenticM

@snail said:
@authenticm said:

What media player are you using? And have tried unsubscring and resubscribing?

I had been using Google Reader to subscribe to feeds until today, when I switched to Feedly. Despite the change in service, the situation remain the same: my feeds are messed up. Giant Bomb is missing every 2013 podcasts up until late february, and possibly more older casts. The Tested feed is even more messed up, but this has been the case since their website redesign, and of course, it doesn't have anything to do with Giant Bomb. But the bombcasts have been messed up ever since the redesign, and possibly a little bit before that (I'm not sure).

And yes, I have tried unsubscribing multiple times. It doesn't change anything.