Ryan Davis tribute podcast

mwhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mwhan

I started listening to the bombcast probably a month before Vinny left. Been an avid listener since I started, and have recently been working my way through the older bombcasts and coming up through them. Last night on my way to work I made it to the 7/9/13 bombcast and I feel like I was punched in the gut.

Ryan was fucking awesome, dude was funny as hell, knew his shit and just generally seemed like a great guy. Last night listening to these guys talk about him hit me hard. I am a grown ass man who was driving to work crying about the death of somebody I never met, but it doesn't feel that way. It felt like one of my actual friends died. The problem here is I have no friends who are into the bombcast, and nobody to talk to about this. I don't know, this post is kind of coming across as just spam garbage but I just felt like I needed to talk to somebody about this.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

When Ryan died it was a big blow to me that bummed me out for a while. I remember being at work and being shocked and thinking so much about it afterwards.

I had followed him for a while and it felt unfair and sad and kind of scary as a lesson on mortality. I always appreciate still watching his stuff. Just goes to show be ready to take some gut punches like that in life.

Check out the pinned thread for Ryan though and you can see your response was not alone. Plenty of people were shocked and still post in that thread all the time.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mwhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: I'm sorry, you're right. I generally don't spend much time on the Giant Bomb website. I should have posted in there.

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had been listening for a couple weeks and Ryan was my favorite on the podcast. He could hit the nail on the head with laser precision.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm not trying to be mean, but Ryan died a couple years ago now. We have a article/thread dedicated to his memory here.

It seems like there's no reason to start a thread when you can just write a reply to that thread at this point. It's stickied to the top of the forums.

Yes, it was very sad when he died. Ryan will live on through his work, though, forever.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I feel you duder, definitely hit that Ryan thread. I'm there periodically these days.

And sorry about the ruder users. Not everyone is both polite and helpful like @artisanbreads

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Being around the site the day it happened and seeing it pretty much turn into a Ryan Davis tribute site for the week, all the videos on the front page were a collection of Ryan's best moments and pretty much every thread on the forums was related to Ryan in someway, was definitely a very cathartic experience. There was something really kind of profound about it, seeing all these people who didn't even know Ryan talking about what he meant to them. Just goes to show the impact he had.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost all the time I visit the site, I inevitably think of Ryan and how awesome he was. I remember that summer sucking pretty hard; I had just broken up with my girlfriend at the time so I was already sad enough. Sometimes I still think that maybe it'll all just be a joke and he'll be hosting the next show.

I tend to rewatch classic Ryan moments and quicklooks to make me happier. As others have said, checkout the pinned thread on the site. There's also this video and this one which are pretty good summaries of some hilarious times with Ryan

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thatpinguino  Moderator

You aren't alone. The week Ryan passed away the entire community spotlight was wrapped twice over with memorial posts. There were more touching posts from users than there was space on the front page. Ryan may be gone, but he is most certainly not forgotten.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I still get tears in my eyes sometimes when I listen to old podcasts/watch favorite videos. Wish I got to meet him at least once but t'was not to be. He left a big impression on my life and in all honesty I wouldn't be who I am now without his (and the rest of the crews) influence since I started coming to the site. He was such a big influence on me that my wife and I named our second child after him and my father. If he turns out to be half the man that those two people are, I did my job as a father.

Tophat666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I know how you feel bro. The news hit me in the middle of the weird time in my life (losing/changing jobs), & with no idea where I was going to end up, this hit me harder than it already would have. At that job I could listen to my phone while working so it gave me a ton of time to rehear all the podcasts over & over, & a new one every week was the thing I looked forward to the most. The moment I knew I'd never here "Hey everybody, it's Tuesday" again, I almost cried (In fact probably did). I've met Ryan in person once, & he's fantastic, ready to talk about anything, & will to do anything at the drop of a hat.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mwhan:

check out this post man, kinda sums it all up really well

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/it-s-tuesday-1444364/

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@mwhan: It hit me too man, that was a painful day.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By fobwashed

@mwhan: Dave Snider made a website tribute with stories from people who miss him and love him. You should start there =]

www.thanksryan.com

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You're far from the first person to express this. Other people who don't visit the site might not understand but I think everyone here does and many have gone through the same shock, anguish and loss at someone who influenced their lives without ever having met them. So don't feel weird. Pretty much everyone here had that moment.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

It's not just you. I still remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news. I had just gotten to the forest zone in Rogue Legacy, and I pulled up my phone to check Twitter between deaths, and I saw the headline Tweeted out by the GB feed. I was literally in disbelief. As I read the article and went thorugh my Twitter feed and saw what was going on with the rest of the internet, I kept looking for Ryan's reaction to it and hoping that it was all some awful joke. Hell, I even cried on my girlfriend's shoulder about it. I didn't know how much I cared about Ryan, about all of the crew, until it happened.

People are recommending the pinned thread to you but there's something to be said for setting aside a moment every now and then for someone just coming in to what happened. Sometimes it feels nice to be able to talk in a more focused way about it. You should visit that thread, though, because it's got some amazing moments in it.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really go through old content any more. I've avoided stuff with Ryan in it for a long while now.

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: how DARE they miss the person that provided them with hours of entertainment and fond memories!

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lead_dispencer

I had one of those typical "dude thats a joke, right?"

My best friend told me the morning of. I didnt believe him until he told me to check the website. I did. My heart sunk hard into my stomach. Im not used to loss so I took this really hard, I never met him in person either. Its such a weird feeling. That day at college/myjob was one of the longest.

Fuck, ryan davis

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, I definitely know how you feel duder. When it first got announced on the site I felt like it was a joke about him going to Reno for his honeymoon or some shit, then when I realized it was actually true I had a hard time dealing with it for like 2 weeks and the tribute podcast is still pretty difficult to get through. I recently (last thursday) stumbeled into the last pre-E3 bombcast of 2013 on my Itunes random playlist and got really bummed out when I realized it was one of the last (or the actual last podcast) with him as host (still a pretty good show though with all the talk of dog poop couches).

I'll go on the tribute thread every now and then and watch some compilation videos and laugh my ass off but feel really sad at the same time. I gues I should be glad to have experienced the nacho boss before he passed. Tuesday's (or in my case wednesday mornings) will never be the same!

just know there are a lot of people who share your feelings dude.

zophar53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By zophar53

I totally get it. Ryan's passing hit me really hard as well, even though I'd never met him and was never going to. On the one hand it felt weird to feel so much over someone seemingly so disconnected from me. But the truth is, I'd followed him and his work literally for years, since the early days of GameSpot. Hearing and watching him every week, along with his colleagues (who were clearly some of his closest friends) made it feel like I really did know them all. The strong personality focus of Giant Bomb only made that stronger. To be honest, because of that, and the fact that his writing and talking of games was so influential to me, both my own writing and how I played and thought about video games, it's not an exaggeration to say Ryan had a bigger impact on me and my life than anyone else outside of my family. That's why it me, and others, so hard. Godspeed Ryan Davis, we miss you still.