• 84 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
#2 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

Thought this question that was on last week's Bombcast was interesting, so let's see what the community has to say about it. Would you rather be shot in the leg or stabbed? Here are the details: Gunshot would be from 3 feet away with a 9mm. Stabbing would be with a serated blade, but a small one.  For me, being shot in the leg sounds far less damaging and painful.

#3 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

Definitely shot in the leg.

#4 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

Uhhhhh.... maybe I should flip a coin.  Neither sounds particularly enticing.

#5 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

Shot because it's faster.

Online
#6 Posted by Vasta_Narada (450 posts) -

Being stabbed is my pick. After I get shot, I would have to get the bullet removed, and I'm not into being in that kind of pain twice. Stabbing, even with a serrated blade, only hurts bad once :P

#7 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

I guess the bullet will have less chance of hitting a major artery.

#8 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I don't really know what either of those feel like so....I guess shot, smaller wound.

#9 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Shot.  I don't want a knife with a serrated edge anywhere near me. 

#10 Posted by IcySandman (474 posts) -

Stabbed, so I can stab them with the knife in my leg.

#11 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

stab. Quick, clean, and less damaging to the surrounding tissue. Painful as hell, yes, but that's not really the point here.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (22039 posts) -

Shot, its more BADASS TO BE SHOT!
#13 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

If it wasn't serrated I'd say knife, But a serrated blade would fuck you up, I'd rather be shot.

#14 Posted by Redbullet685 (6051 posts) -

shot, from what I hear removing the knife sucks. But then again so would the bullet removed.... hopefully the bullet goes through

#15 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

Shot if it's not hollow point.

#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Definitely shot if it is a clean shot, straight through without damaging arteries/shattering bones/other important things you need to operate your leg with.  A serrated 3 inch knife would be a motherfucker to get out.  If the bullet is a hollow point... fuck that shit, stabbed with a knife.

#17 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Vasta_Narada said:
" Being stabbed is my pick. After I get shot, I would have to get the bullet removed, and I'm not into being in that kind of pain twice. Stabbing, even with a serrated blade, only hurts bad once :P "
So you're gonna leave the knife in your leg? :P
#18 Posted by jakob187 (21690 posts) -

Stabbed, because it'll leave a wicked fucking scar!

#19 Posted by Andorski (5341 posts) -

Shot in the leg, assuming the bullet goes all the way through.

#20 Posted by FizzleNizzleBear (335 posts) -

Shot because i'm going to change the being shot with a 9mm bullet to being shot by a water gun holding 9mm of water

#21 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -

shot, better story.

#22 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I'd rather tell people that I've been shot

#23 Posted by HatKing (6021 posts) -

People who think being shot is better clearly do not know the medical repercussions of being shot.  It isn't the actual being shot that is the worse part of it, although I'm sure that sucks plenty, it is what happens afterwards.  If a bullet wound is not treated correctly and very quickly drastic measures may need to be taken including but not limited to amputation.  Not to mention the pain that would come afterwards, the wound filling with bile becoming infected, imagine a small infected paper cut and think about how terrible that is... then imagine if that wound was four or five inches deep with a small metal slug inside of it.  Even if the bullet goes in and out you are still dealing with tremendous blood loss and infection. 
 
There is a reason the military use guns and not swords.
#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11903 posts) -

If I got shot, I would have to take out the bullet. I have already been stabbed in the arm with a pocketknife (true story), so getting stabbed in the leg with a serrated knife wouldn't be that bad, right. RIGHT?!?!? Ugh. Both are terrible. 

#25 Posted by udabenshen (178 posts) -

Stabbed, because i don't want to go digging in my leg for a bullet.  That sounds like the worst thing ever.

#26 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Shot in the leg. 
Look what happens when you get STABBED in the leg! 
  

  

#27 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Stabbed in the leg. The gunshot would straight up mess with all the arteries in my leg. I'd feel pain like no other for the next year or so. With a stab wound, it'll heal. There's no need to take out hot lead from my leg, plus there's a smaller chance that my veins will get destroyed to shit from a knife wound.

#28 Edited by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Stabbed in the leg because it is a small knife, and with that gun I don't think it will go through your leg. Plus with a bullet you have to take it out, with a knife you actally should leave it in.

#29 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Both seem terrible, but I've heard of people getting shot without even really feeling it, whereas I'm pretty certain if you get stabbed anywhere with even a small knife you will feel it. 

#30 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

Getting shot from that close would shatter a bone. Getting stabbed wouldn't.

#31 Posted by MikkaQ (10315 posts) -

Stab, if I could keep the knife in there, I have a higher chance of survival. Getting shot in the leg would severely increase the chance of hitting a major artery and dying. 

#32 Posted by Newjack (232 posts) -

Knife, surely having an entry/ exit wound alone is a bigger pain to get treated. Why are you asking anyway? You don't have my address do you?

#33 Posted by Trilogy (2672 posts) -

Stabbed for health reasons. 
Shot for storytelling.

#34 Posted by MB (12701 posts) -

Anyone who chose shot must not have considered hydrostatic shock, modern bullet design, or shrapnel. You do not want a supersonic bullet entering your body. I'll take the knife any day.

Moderator
#35 Posted by Newjack (232 posts) -

I voted stab but I've just remembered that scene in Rambo 3 that taught me all you need to do to heal a bullet wound is pour gunpowder in the wound and then ignite it to close and cauterise it. Plus, if you're being shot chance's are the gun would have more bullets you could extract some powder from!.  
 
Who needs science/ medical knowledge when you have the educational films of Mr. Stallone.

#36 Edited by BraveFart (298 posts) -

Shot in the leg by far. i hate knifes !
 
but what if..... someone had to stab the bullet out with a knife for me to survive ? then that would be double the pain.

#37 Posted by CaptainObvious (2999 posts) -

Knife is the way to go.

#38 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Shot for sure. Chicks dig bullet hole scars.

#39 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -
@CaptainObvious said:
" Knife is the way to go. "
OBJECTION !!!
 
Lang Zi says: "A knifewound cannot compare to the hole left from a bullet"
#40 Edited by Newjack (232 posts) -

Pointless aside.....ACTIVATE!:  
 
 
Would a ballistic knife count as shot or stabbed? Isn't being shot basically being stabbed with a bullet? Or is it the velocity/ use of combustible that classifies a shooting? 
 
EDIT In case people are unfamiliar with ballistic knives  

#41 Posted by CaptainObvious (2999 posts) -
@BraveFart said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Knife is the way to go. "
OBJECTION !!!  Lang Zi says: "A knifewound cannot compare to the hole left from a bullet" "
Yeah, but you wouldn't want to have a bullet stuck in your leg. 
 
Also, 
#42 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -
@CaptainObvious said:
" @BraveFart said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Knife is the way to go. "
OBJECTION !!!  Lang Zi says: "A knifewound cannot compare to the hole left from a bullet" "
Yeah, but you wouldn't want to have a bullet stuck in your leg. 
 
Also, 
"
Cuz Lang is badass :P he wont cry from a bulletwound.
#43 Posted by Hoshnasi (356 posts) -
@MB said:
" Anyone who chose shot must not have considered hydrostatic shock, modern bullet design, or shrapnel. You do not want a supersonic bullet entering your body. I'll take the knife any day. "
+1, 
 
To take it a step further, if for example the projectile is FMJ, its going to enter and exit the leg.  9mm travels damn fast and will go through at a 3 foot distance....  Unless it hits bone, which will chip/crack/break it.  To be honest, the bullet going in and exiting is the BEST outcome from this situation AND not hitting the femoral artery.
 
Getting shot is no joke.
#44 Posted by wwfundertaker (1404 posts) -

Ive been stabbed before and its not nice. May be a bullet is better or could be much worse.

#45 Edited by spazmaster666 (1972 posts) -

It would depend on what type of bullet we're talking about. If we're talking standard 9mm FMJ, then I'd prefer the bullet since there's a good chance it'll be a through-and-through. If we're talking 9mm JHP or JSP, I may have to go with the knife.

#46 Posted by Newjack (232 posts) -
@Hoshnasi said:

" @MB said:

" Anyone who chose shot must not have considered hydrostatic shock, modern bullet design, or shrapnel. You do not want a supersonic bullet entering your body. I'll take the knife any day. "
+1,   To take it a step further, if for example the projectile is FMJ, its going to enter and exit the leg.  9mm travels damn fast and will go through at a 3 foot distance....  Unless it hits bone, which will chip/crack/break it.  To be honest, the bullet going in and exiting is the BEST outcome from this situation AND not hitting the femoral artery. Getting shot is no joke. "
Would the calibre of bullet make a difference from that range, would say a .50 do a lot more damage? I'm guessing the bigger surface area will have more of a concussive effect, and surely being that close it would be a lot less clean having not had time to build up speed. 
#47 Edited by MB (12701 posts) -
@Newjack said:

Would the calibre of bullet make a difference from that range, would say a .50 do a lot more damage? I'm guessing the bigger surface area will have more of a concussive effect, and surely being that close it would be a lot less clean having not had time to build up speed.  "

Definitely.  A 50 cal round will take your leg off or at least render it into mince meat even if fired from a mile away or more. It's all about energy transfer which is calculated by the speed times the mass of the projectile, without factoring in such things as fragmentation or bullet design. It's bad times.
Moderator
#48 Posted by Meltac (2003 posts) -

Stabbed. Definitely stabbed.

#49 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

After reading this and remembering an article on Cracked.com, I definitely would rather be stabbed.  I guess it's pretty easy to forget that many people that take a shot to the arm or leg end up with that limb pretty fucked from nerve damage because of how lightly getting shot is made out to be in  games and movies.  

@Newjack

said:

" @Hoshnasi said:

" @MB said:

" Anyone who chose shot must not have considered hydrostatic shock, modern bullet design, or shrapnel. You do not want a supersonic bullet entering your body. I'll take the knife any day. "

+1,   To take it a step further, if for example the projectile is FMJ, its going to enter and exit the leg.  9mm travels damn fast and will go through at a 3 foot distance....  Unless it hits bone, which will chip/crack/break it.  To be honest, the bullet going in and exiting is the BEST outcome from this situation AND not hitting the femoral artery. Getting shot is no joke. "
Would the calibre of bullet make a difference from that range, would say a .50 do a lot more damage? I'm guessing the bigger surface area will have more of a concussive effect, and surely being that close it would be a lot less clean having not had time to build up speed.  "
And yes, a .50 caliber bullet can go through 8 inches of reinforced concrete.  And still go straight through you.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf6qUVM2I08 Skip to around 5:30 in this one and watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2qq14C-qho&feature=related to see what I'm talking about.
#50 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

Stabbed with a bullet.