• 198 results
Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Should Vinny always host the bombcast? (1457 votes)

Yes 50%
No 7%
Jeff should usually host 29%
Let Brad host it! 14%

After this week's episode I think I always want Vinny to host the bombcast. What say you?

#1 Posted by Ravelle (1404 posts) -

Mix it up I'd say.

#2 Posted by Junkion (14 posts) -

Liking the Vindog OTT style (^_-)

#3 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Yes. I understand why that might not be possible but his hosting and editing skills are unbelievable.

#4 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

Vinny is a great host, but it'd lose something if it was every week. It's best when it's just a rare surprise.

#5 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

YES! EVERY WEEK!

#6 Posted by rmanthorp (4054 posts) -

It wouldn't be as special if he did it all the time.

#7 Posted by Soap (3640 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

Vinny is a great host, but it'd lose something if it was every week. It's best when it's just a rare surprise.

Exactly this.

#8 Posted by Flappy (2352 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

This is the only answer to the poll.

#9 Posted by hermes (1606 posts) -

Not always... As all good things in life, its best if not overdone.

#10 Posted by GodlyOne (143 posts) -

They should just spin a wheel every Monday to see who hosts that week, then we'd at least get back I Love Mondays.

#11 Edited by Royce_McCutcheon (222 posts) -

He hosted the Hotspot every week, and that was fine.

#12 Posted by Ghostiet (5310 posts) -

Yes.

#13 Edited by Geralt (333 posts) -

Someone with a certain formality would be best to host things, right? Like Ryan did...so maybe Brad would fit the role if he wasn't so sleepy all the time.

Vinny and Jeff will always be fucking around.

#14 Edited by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Vinny is awesome but for the intro and when they have ads Jeff has a better radio voice.

#15 Posted by Milkman (17311 posts) -

I feel like the people saying yes here are the same people who constantly ask for Endurance Runs. It wouldn't be special if it happened all the time. Just let things happen naturally and you'll enjoy them more.

#16 Posted by Iron_Tool (228 posts) -

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I can't say I'd mind it...

#18 Edited by Pezen (1668 posts) -

If Giant Bombcast feed was an album, Vinny episodes would be the awesome remixes you find on an EP. You don't want an lunch of just dessert, you need meat and potatoes episodes with regular amount of controlled mania to get your proteins and carbs and vitamins. But once in a while, you have to go crazy and let your hair out and scream into the wind.

Just sayin'.

#19 Posted by ArjanN (140 posts) -

They should always let Vinny select e-mails in advance.

#20 Edited by Aviar (452 posts) -

Mix it up. They all have their own way and each one is just as great.

#21 Edited by Roboculus92 (531 posts) -

I think Vinny has done a fantastic job these last couple that he's hosted but yeah as everyone else has mentioned, I'm worried that it would lose its charm if done every week. I remember back when Jeff hosting was a rare thing and people enjoyed it for the different feel that he gave to the podcast but now people are just used to it and the charm of Jeff hosting isn't quite there anymore (even though its still great) so I don't know. Not that I'd be against it mind you but I'd be cautious against doing it all the time.

#22 Posted by Hunter5024 (5961 posts) -

I really enjoyed his time as Hotspot host. I think it would be kind of cool if they rotated. And I actually would like to see Brad take a crack at it some time.

#23 Posted by chiablo (999 posts) -

I think Vinny has done a fantastic job these last couple that he's hosted but yeah as everyone else has mentioned, I'm worried that it would lose its charm if done every week. I remember back when Jeff hosting was a rare thing and people enjoyed it for the different feel that he gave to the podcast but now people are just used to it and the charm of Jeff hosting isn't quite there anymore (even though its still great) so I don't know. Not that I'd be against it mind you but I'd be cautious against doing it all the time.

Exactly... we got the Numbers Station Bombcast when this happened.

#24 Posted by TheHT (11769 posts) -

Now I'm curious to see how Brad would handle it. Vinny's been a fantastic host, and the music/sound stuff he adds to it are funny. I dunno if I'd want that stuff in every podcast though.

#25 Posted by CoinMatze (475 posts) -

I love Jeff's cool laid-backness on live streams but the podcast in my opinion benefits from the energy that Vinny brings as a host. The idea of Brad hosting sounds really intriguing, though. Maybe have rotating hosts. Change it up every week.

#26 Posted by MEATBALL (3469 posts) -

I think it'd be cool if Jeff and Vinny alternated hosting duties. I'd also love to get a bombcast with Vinny as host while Jeff is in so that we get some Jeff on the bombcast without him having to fill the host role.

#27 Posted by spraynardtatum (3656 posts) -

I don't want to pick sides. I think they should all host.

#28 Posted by Nux (2419 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

My thoughts exactly.

#29 Edited by wjb (1696 posts) -

@theht said:

Now I'm curious to see how Brad would handle it. Vinny's been a fantastic host, and the music/sound stuff he adds to it are funny. I dunno if I'd want that stuff in every podcast though.

Three hours of DOTA, bathroom breaks, and naps.

Ha! Ya burnt, Shoemaker!

#30 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5980 posts) -

A mix of both is welcome by me.

#31 Posted by ripelivejam (4837 posts) -

this is the rift that will divide Giant Bombs :(

#32 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

You dont want to wear out the V-bomb. It should only be reserved for special occations.

#33 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

@milkman said:

I feel like the people saying yes here are the same people who constantly ask for Endurance Runs. It wouldn't be special if it happened all the time. Just let things happen naturally and you'll enjoy them more.

I dunno. A lot of people in the community were desperate for Vinny to do something with Dark Souls for a while and when he did it was magical and it still is. I don't really subscribe to the "too much of a good thing" theory of shit. Life is short dude, let's enjoy the good things we have instead of artificially holding them back.

#34 Posted by bybeach (4994 posts) -

No. Vinny is the go-to card, not the do-everything card. That's getting a little absurdly overwhelmed by a personality over bottom line substance. My compliment to Vinny is that in his case that is a finite relative, and by no means an absolute.

#35 Posted by Xeiphyer (5611 posts) -

Vinny is too crazy for every week, but when he does get to host its always a treat.

#36 Posted by GValo (290 posts) -

I voted yes but I think I agree with everyone in the thread. Have Jeff host the podcast and let vinny run GOTY, GDC, and E3

#37 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

Actually I would be intrigued with experimenting having others produce a show. Let Brad do one and see what he can do.

#38 Posted by CornBREDX (5981 posts) -

The grass is always greener on the other side.

#39 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -
#40 Posted by McLargepants (399 posts) -

I don't know about always, but I do like him as a host, and I think Jeff works better as the one being asked questions, rather than the one leading the whole thing.

#41 Edited by GIyn (202 posts) -

Weird how I never got sick of hearing Ryan Davis host the show :(

#42 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

I love Jeff's cool laid-backness on live streams but the podcast in my opinion benefits from the energy that Vinny brings as a host.

My thoughts exactly. Jeff's laid-back, let things happen as they happen approach is great and I always loved the Jeffcast episodes when Ryan was still around, but they worked because they were weirdly free-form episodes that played fast and loose with Ryan's structured show. And, most importantly, it would all go back to that structure the next week. Now that those fast and loose episodes are the norm for a podcast that had already been going wildly off the rails of that structure even before Ryan was put on permanent assignment, I've realized just how having a host who cared about the structure and keeping discussions moving helped.

Jeff's a great host, but the level of enthusiasm and willingness to move on from topics Vinny brings is the kind of hosting the Bombcast needs.

#43 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

Yes. I think Jeff has done a good job as a host but these podcasts Vinny has hosted have been the better than Jeff's. I really like his production touches and they've just been very funny.

#44 Posted by Iodine (551 posts) -

Drew for Host 2014

#45 Edited by Gaff (1880 posts) -

Honestly I think Vinny's edits to the podcasts can be pretty hit-and-miss. Last time, pretty much great. This week's podcast, a bit much. Take the Kraft Single's story or Patrick's Portillo's story: Sometimes something funny doesn't need that extra emphasis.

#46 Edited by Datajack (134 posts) -

On a side note fairly happy with the guests they were able to swing in. Great to hear a bit of the inside baseball in regards to game dev and their insight regarding the YouTube/Lets Play market. More, please!

So is Vinny the host Giantbomb wants, but not what Giantbomb needs?

#47 Posted by Humanity (10055 posts) -

The grass is always greener on the other side.

I think you mean the Vinny is always greener on the other side.. a radiant green.

#48 Posted by mikey87144 (1806 posts) -

I voted no but I love the episodes Vinny has hosted. I think Vinny might lose his touch a bit if he had to do it every week.

#49 Posted by 49th (2843 posts) -

No, they will stop being special and awesome.

#50 Posted by Dalai (7069 posts) -

I'm actually for Vinny hosting full-time for a few reasons, but the main reason is not because of the past few excellent Vinn-centric podcasts. I simply think Vinny is a better host than Jeff and keeps things going at a steady pace. The Jeff podcasts are still very good, but the more laid-back feel makes it seem slower paced and occasionally boring at times.

But if Jeff wants to be the host, he's fully entitled to that position, but at least let Vinny edit the audio. I mean, that intro, man.