Slavery and Assassins Creed III

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By granderojo

So they never really glossed over slavery in this game, in fact there is a lot of talk of it and you see slaves at one point. To those that have beat the game yet, how do you think they handled it?

The majority of this game took place in the North East where slavery wasn't that much of a thing so the relative rareness of it in the game seemed accurate to me. Thoughts?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JZ

Plus the vita game handled all that stuff

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

Billy Lee is an interesting character, people don't realize it, but he was a very important person during the Revolutionary War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lee_(valet)

I'm guessing he isn't in the game. It would have been cool if he was.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Well, I only recall it being addressed briefly in the game - Connor talks to Samuel Adams about his slave, Surry, and then in the epilogue Connor watches a slave auction. In the Animus database there are a few lines alluding to how some people today lobby to remove references to the Founding Fathers' slave-owning from textbooks. I don't think Ubisoft really addressed it in any meaningful manner, but I give them credit for mentioning it at all.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I don't think they mentioned that stuff all that much or as much as they should've. I understand why they wouldn't but it felt like something was missing. The epilogue did show more of that and I do like that things ended in such a way as to make Connor question wether or not he made the right choice since there is still slavery and oppression.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By granderojo

@Gooddoggy: @SethPhotopoulos: Weren't Warren and Prudence freed slaves? Did I just perceive that because they're black or what? If they were that's 2 integral mentions of slavery in the game.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By MildMolasses

@thabigred said:

@Gooddoggy: @SethPhotopoulos: Weren't Warren and Prudence freed slaves? Did I just perceive that because they're black or what? If they were that's 2 integral mentions of slavery in the game.

Off the top of my head, I want to say that they were just running from slavers, not that they were actually freed slaves themselves

I don't know that I would classify this mention as integral as it's entirely possible to play the game without seeing them

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By granderojo

@MildMolasses said:

@thabigred said:

Off the top of my head, I want to say that they were just running from slavers, not that they were actually freed slaves themselves

I don't know that I would classify this mention as integral as it's entirely possible to play the game without seeing them

I play the game like vinny, so to me, this side stuff was integral. So are the feathers...

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@thabigred said:

@MildMolasses said:

@thabigred said:

I play the game like vinny, so to me, this side stuff was integral. So are the feathers...

I did to and even in the side stuff it's barely touched upon.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By granderojo

Don't mean to bump this thread but I just ran into a third reference to slavery. On one of your assassin contract buddies in Boston mentions he "left his mother down south" because he didn't agree with slavery.

ArtByDjBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Actually, they did show 3 slaves being sold at the end.

After the credits rolled I believe, they show a guy selling 3 black folks, two men and one woman, on a stage. I was happy to see that they showed it, obviously not happy that it happened, but they were a little more accurate with that.