• 83 results
Posted by Unequivocable (215 posts) 8 months, 3 days ago

Poll: So who all went and watched Spring Breakers after listening to this week's Bombcast? (383 votes)

I sure did! 16%
*sigh*, I did. 12%
Never. 39%
I'd already seen it. 33%

After Jeff's bizarre description of Spring Breakers on the Bombcast I had to watch it, and I'm curious how many other duders did as well?

#1 Edited by cloudymusic (1057 posts) -

Why the hell is there not a "sprinnnng breaaaaaaaaakkkk" option on this poll?

(I'd already seen it, but yeah, I'd recommend it to those who are intrigued by Jeff's description of it.)

#2 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

How could you have not already seen it?

Midnight Release!

#3 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

I'm currently watching it....

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14582 posts) -

I've been meaning to watch it way before Jeff was talking about it but yeah that reminded me that I should go get on that.

#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I already saw it because Gucci Mane.

#6 Posted by VeggiesBro (117 posts) -

Watching it now...

#7 Posted by RazielCuts (2940 posts) -

I'd already seen it because I liked the idea of a group of girls just going out being badasses and committing crimes all in the aid to just party hard for spring break, possibly in the style of Florida beach meets 'Drive'.

I think this may end up being a Saints Row situation for some people though, as in Jeff hypes something up to be 'cuuurrraaazzzzy' and then you see it and you're like, hmm it's not *that* crazy, but yeah, each to their own, it certainly has its moments.

#8 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

I checked and It's not on Netflix in the UK. Bummer.

#9 Posted by zombie2011 (4969 posts) -

Saw it a while ago, extremely boring movie especially the first half before they get to Florida. It's just bad.

#10 Edited by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

I'll watch it in Netflix sometime this week.

#11 Posted by DeadpanCakes (812 posts) -

Voted "Never," but that might not entirely accurate. Just...never gonna go out of my way to experience whatever it seems this movie is.

#12 Posted by Aegon (5416 posts) -

I already saw it and it's one of the worst and most pointless movies ever, unless you're Jeff.

#13 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

I feel like watching this movie without knowing who Harmony Korine is and what he has done is maybe a mistake.

#14 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

It sounds like following a group of really shitty people doing really shitty things. Not my bag.

#15 Posted by DystopiaX (5295 posts) -

i'll get around to it. Wanted to watch the movie before anyway.

#16 Edited by PimblyCharles (1319 posts) -

I am a HUGE Harmony Korine fan. Gummo is one of my favorite movies of all time. Julien Donkey Boy was bizzare and great. Trash Humpers... not my thing honestly.

Anyway, I have seen Spring Breakers, and quite like it. James Franco makes that movie pretty great. If you're not into Harmony's style of directing and writing, the movie will likely put you off. I'd recommend at least checking out Gummo if you didn't like Spring Breakers.Speaking of Gummo @jeff should check that one out too.

"Look at all mah shit! I got Scarface on repeat!"

#17 Posted by RockyRaccoon37 (426 posts) -

Yeah I had already watched it. It's pretty much the definition of love it or hate it.

And I hated it.

I'll say, it's at least an interesting movie that sparked one hell of a conversation between me and my girlfriend (who loved it). On the surface the movie seems to be a criticism of contemporary culture, and dumb privileged white kids-- but it seems to subvert that and tries to present them as sympathetic and exploited figures. And intellectually I could give less of a shit about a film that seems to be trying to present white privilege as a sympathetic virtue.

I also couldn't stand the repetition of shots and dialogue, the erratic editing, and frankly I was pretty let down by James Franco's take on Riff Raff.

I'll say this: If you've ever watched a movie and thought: "that was so pretentious" STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ALSO MAYBE DON'T WATCH TREE OF LIFE HEY THOR 2 IS OUT HOW ABOUT THAT

#18 Posted by EXTomar (4514 posts) -

I thought Spring Breakers was surprisingly interesting. It is supposed to be creepy as hell because spring break in general is creepy as hell.

#19 Posted by Brendan (7696 posts) -

God that movie sucked. Everything that happened was completely unearned.

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9636 posts) -

Movie has Jeff Jarrett in it.

#21 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

I was thinking of watching it but then felt a pang of guilt like - am I watching it because I think it will be interesting.. or because girls in bikinis.. then I didn't watch it.

#22 Edited by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

I feel like watching this movie without knowing who Harmony Korine is and what he has done is maybe a mistake.

First thing I didn't know: Harmony is a guy.

#23 Posted by PimblyCharles (1319 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

@fengshuigod said:

First thing I didn't know: Harmony is a guy.

And what a glorious guy he is:

#24 Posted by Crysack (296 posts) -

Spring Breakers is probably his most accessible film. It's certainly NOTHING compared to Trash Humpers.

#25 Edited by PimblyCharles (1319 posts) -

@crysack said:

Spring Breakers is probably his most accessible film. It's certainly NOTHING compared to Trash Humpers.

I agree. Gummo is also pretty accessible. Did you see that?

Trash Humpers may be his only film I didn't enjoy at all. That was extremely hard to watch, and this is coming from a fan that understands and appreciates his style of work on movies.

#26 Posted by RockyRaccoon37 (426 posts) -

@crysack said:

Trash Humpers may be his only film I didn't enjoy at all. That was extremely hard to watch, and this is coming from a fan that understands and appreciates his style of work on movies.

Have you seen Mister Lonely? That one looks pretty interesting. Otherwise his films don't sound or look especially appealing to me.

#27 Posted by BBAlpert (1381 posts) -

Based on the description, it sounds like Spring Breakers is what Hotline Miami would be if it were made in 2035 (so that it would be about 2012 instead of 1989). Having not seen the movie myself, I don't know if that's at all accurate, though.

#28 Edited by PimblyCharles (1319 posts) -
@rockyraccoon37 said:

@pimblycharles said:

@crysack said:

Have you seen Mister Lonely? That one looks pretty interesting. Otherwise his films don't sound or look especially appealing to me.

I have, and it is quite interesting. It's about a guy who wants to become a famous Michael Jackson impersonator and finds himself in a house with other failed/struggling impersonators. It's not nearly as weird has his other films. If you're at all a fan of any of his work, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, you'd probably be bored. Thanks for reminding me of that film, because that is by far his most accessible over all the others. What I mean is the editing is like an actual normal movie instead of a Harmony Korine movie... if that makes sense at all...

#29 Posted by penfold01 (16 posts) -

This movie is weird. It seemed like 30 minutes of story with half an ending padded out to 90 minutes with leftover Girls Gone Wild B-roll footage. Also, it takes entirely too long to introduce James Franco's character. I think I'd have rather watched a 90 minute cribs episode where Alien gives us a tour of his sweet house and enumerates exactly which colors of shorts he has....I mean he says every color, but how can we be sure?

#30 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (426 posts) -

@rockyraccoon37 said:

@pimblycharles said:

@crysack said:

I have, and it is quite interesting. It's about a guy who wants to become a famous Michael Jackson impersonator and finds himself in a house with other failed/struggling impersonators. It's not nearly as weird has his other films. If you're at all a fan of any of his work, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, you'd probably be bored. Thanks for reminding me of that film, because that is by far his most accessible over all the others. What I mean is the editing is like an actual normal movie instead of a Harmony Korine movie... if that makes sense at all...

Happy to hear that it's more accessible than his other stuff, I'll check it out. I'm into experimental, art-house cinema, but his movies have always made me feel really uncomfortable. Which I guess is kind of the point. Him and Lars Von Trier are just two of the most off-putting, but consistently interesting filmmakers around today. I'm glad that they're making movies, but those movies typically aren't for me.

#31 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (426 posts) -

@bbalpert said:

Based on the description, it sounds like Spring Breakers is what Hotline Miami would be if it were made in 2035 (so that it would be about 2012 instead of 1989). Having not seen the movie myself, I don't know if that's at all accurate, though.

That's not too far off. If I were to compare Hotline Miami to a movie, it would be a mix of Drive and Spring Breakers for sure.

#32 Posted by rachelepithet (1350 posts) -

The Tree of Life x Disney Rule 34 CP x Riff Raff x A Rick Rubin Spike Jones music video circa 1995 x an episode of Cheaters or Cops or that G4TV college dorm spinoff of Cops x Korine/Clark/Solondzt/VonTrier/VanSant style content x Double J promo as Joel Olsteen = how could this movie not be good.

#33 Edited by mortal_sb (520 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

The Tree of Life x Disney Rule 34 CP x Riff Raff x A Rick Rubin Spike Jones music video circa 1995 x an episode of Cheaters or Cops or that G4TV college dorm spinoff of Cops x Korine/Clark/Solondzt/VonTrier/VanSant style content x Double J promo as Joel Olsteen = how could this movie not be good.

that's like the perfect description.

the beginning alone is such a fucked up and depressing montage. it's social critism to the extreme.

if you come with the wrong mindset to this movie, you either find it super cool because there are all these bros and chicks hanging out, fucking and drinking in the beginning but you'll probably find it laughable at the end.

if you know your movies and understand a little bit about social critism, nihilism, voyeurism and harmony korine in general, you know what a crazy project this really was.

the cahiers du cinema, one of the most regarded and traditional review circles in the world, put in on their top10 list for this year on number 2.

#34 Posted by notdavid (827 posts) -

I haven't gotten on it yet, but from what I gathered from the cast, it's basically Tree of Life with dubstep. I'm way into that. I'll probably watch it Friday.

#35 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

look at all my sheet

#36 Posted by Cheesebob (1232 posts) -

Already watched it. It made me want to re-watch it!

#37 Posted by EXTomar (4514 posts) -

I would say Spring Breakers is more like Melancholia than Tree of Life. The movie sets out the "ultimate extension of the idea of 'the spring break'". Kids head to Florida for spring break for sex and fun which in itself is a messed up idea to aspire too. It isn't shocking or tragic to have people dream of this but just straight up screwed up.

#38 Posted by ripelivejam (3582 posts) -

looked it up on IMDB and saw

James Franco - Alien

did i just spoil this shit???

#39 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

looked it up on IMDB and saw

James Franco - Alien

did i just spoil this shit???

No, that's just his character's name lol. He is basically a fake Riff Raff.

#40 Posted by csl316 (8165 posts) -

I'll watch it before Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Hopefully I don't show up with a contact high or something.

#41 Posted by HatKing (5833 posts) -

@bbalpert said:

That's not too far off. If I were to compare Hotline Miami to a movie, it would be a mix of Drive and Spring Breakers for sure.

Weird. But they are three of my favorite things from the past few years.

Spring Breakers is fucking great. People tend to turn their noses up at 'sleazy' things, I've noticed.

#42 Posted by Roboculus92 (487 posts) -

I watched it and man....what a weird film. Very dreamlike for sure. I did enjoy it though.

#43 Posted by GaspoweR (2824 posts) -

Actually I want to get around to it

#44 Posted by Winternet (8007 posts) -

I just like that people talk about Spring Breakers and Korine in this website, for a change.

@animasta said:

look at all my sheet

#45 Posted by spraynardtatum (2628 posts) -

I saw Spring Breakers when it first came out. Loved it. It's a modern fable.

That movie is like if Terrence Malick was 18 years old and hated his generation.

#46 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (426 posts) -
@spraynardtatum said:

I saw Spring Breakers when it first came out. Loved it. It's a modern fable.

That movie is like if Terrence Malick was 18 years old and hated his generation.

If you want to see a Malick movie where he basically condemns modern society, just watch To the Wonder. It's pretty gross and unfortunately really bad film.

A lot of people here who like the movie seem to watch it as a condemnation of contemporary youth culture, but I think that misses the point of what the movie is trying to do. I saw it more as Korine trying to portray this often depicted as shallow and vein youth culture in an oddly sympathetic light. Franco's character is named Alien and you get the sense through the movie that the character is the way he is because he is alienated and tries to fit in to a specific culture that doesn't accept him. He creates an exaggerated character and loses himself so much that he finds himself fitting in nowhere.

Similarly, the girls are bored with their normal, boring, privileged lives and want to experience excess but that experience gives them nothing, so by the end of the movie they up the ante so much and push themselves into an excess of violence. But still, they walk away empty. No satisfaction anywhere.

I think the last shot of the movie really says a lot too-- an upside down shot suggesting inversion, or a different perspective of what we've come to expect. The last scene in that movie is one we've seen in plenty of other films, but the suggestion that the last shot seems to make is that we've seen this before, but not from this perspective.

It's a really tricky, weird movie. Ultimately I just don't believe that a guy as intelligent and strange as Korine would be at all interested in a facile criticism of youth culture.

#47 Posted by itspizza (430 posts) -

Its not a great movie, but it is a joy to watch. The scene where that low key Britney Spears song is playing in the background while James Franco is pistol whipping a dude is pretty great. James Franco probably solidified himself as one of my favorite actors after watching this as well.

#48 Posted by Christoffer (1760 posts) -

Nope, it sounded more like a failed editing experiment than a good movie. And my backlog of movies is already cramped.

#49 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I seen it before that. I love the movie.

#50 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

I will never forget seeing Kids in theaters.