• 157 results
#1 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

OK, on the pocast they all agreed on Mordin from ME2 for the best new character but then on this post Bayonetta wins. Wtf? Im confused...Halp?

#2 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

It's called a video editing mistake. That stuff happens bro.

#3 Posted by isles (232 posts) -

It's actually not just in the video, bro.

#4 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

SPOILERS!

#5 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Perhaps they changed their minds? Bayonetta is the right choice anyway. Mordin wasn't THAT great.

#6 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

I'm surprised there's no rage over it not being John Marsten... Marsden... I haven't played RDR. 

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24842 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
" It's called a video editing mistake. That stuff happens bro. "
It's a disparity between the text article and the podcast.
#8 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

If in doubt, assume whichever one says Mordin is correct.

#9 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

Bayonetta won according to the video and the GOTY day 1 page, the only place they say that Mordin won is on the podcast, at least that is what you are saying. I have not listened to it yet 

#10 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -

Bayonetta is the right choice.

#11 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Guessing they changed their mind, but it's rather weird since everyone unanimously agreed it was Mordin and no one even tried to fight for Bayonetta. Kinda bummed since the character design is the only part of Bayonetta I didn't think was that great.

#12 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@Gizmo said:
" SPOILERS! "
yeah dude...SPOILERS!!!!
#13 Posted by august (3846 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Bayonetta is the right choice. "
Agreeing with this.
#14 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -
@Romination said:

" I'm surprised there's no rage over it not being John Marsten... Marsden... I haven't played RDR.  "

I can't believe it was John Marston.   I thought he was the most well written, designed, and had the best story to tell by far.  I cared about him more than I cared about any other character.  Bayonetta is kind of cool but beyond her appearance and flashiness there is nothing really there.  I'll take Marston any day.

I mean I'm not losing sleep over it, whatever, but I get the feeling Jeff's irrational hatred of Red Dead might factor into a lot of these awards.  I have to say I hate when some games journalists seem to want to hate a game just because others like it or just for no reason at all.  How you can love GTA IV and not even give RDR the time of day is beyond comprehension to me.  Just does not make any sense.
#15 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
This, and it wasn't final when they said that, they were just agreeing that that point.
#16 Posted by raiz265 (2239 posts) -

Don't understand how everyone has such high opinions on Mordin... 
But I also put ME2 pretty low in my top 10. 

Also boobs.

#17 Edited by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@Vorbis: Yeah thats what im thinking..its just strange that everyone voted for him. But now he isnt the pick, because i seriously think he should be.
@Management:  Yeah, on the podcast they all picked Mordin. But what i dont understand is why the text and the video show otherwise. 
@Romination said:

" I'm surprised there's no rage over it not being John Marsten... Marsden... I haven't played RDR.  "

Marston is boring as shit. He's just any john wayne character. *Puts up flame shield*
Is it marsden or marston? Idk lol
#18 Posted by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -

Bayonetta isn't my first or second choice but to each their own.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" @Romination said:

I can't believe it was John Marston.   I thought he was the most well written, designed, and had the best story to tell by far.  I cared about him more than I cared about any other character.  Bayonetta is kind of cool but beyond her appearance and flashiness there is nothing really there.  I'll take Marston any day.   I mean I'm not losing sleep over it, whatever, but I get the feeling Jeff's irrational hatred of Red Dead might factor into a lot of these awards.  I have to say I hate when some games journalists seem to want to hate a game just because others like it or just for no reason at all.  How you can love GTA IV and not even give RDR the time of day is beyond comprehension to me.  Just does not make any sense. "
did you care about him because he was a good character or was it because he was a character that got a lot of shit dumped on him? I've not played it that much, and I'll probably TRY and complete it (until I can hear their arguments about the overall, and then we'll see if I can figure out why) but so far he just seems like a guy who life shat on, and I played a game with that exact character trope done better (Nier).
#20 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -
@Pibo47 said:

"

Marston is boring as shit. He's just any john wayne character. *Puts up flame shield* Is it marsden or marston? Idk lol "
I assume you're just kidding around but the thing that makes MARSTON great is that he is far from a "john wayne" or typical western hero.  He has humor, he gets angry, he follows people he shouldn't, he's made mistakes in his past and he is trying to redeem himself.  He is trying to make his way through a crazy and violent world and the tragedy that befalls him makes you really feel a lot of him as a character.  He is just so well realized and represented in the game.  And they continued to do a great job with him in Undead Nightmare.
#21 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

" If in doubt, assume whichever one says Mordin is correct. "

Agrees. I personally think Bayonetta is just flat. I am amazed she was even considered. 
#22 Posted by JeanLuc (3585 posts) -

Personally it doesn't to me which character won. I think all 3 of those characters are great and deserve to be noted as such.

#23 Posted by Pkshields (810 posts) -

Alright, I'm about an hour into the podcast and guessed they changed their minds later on in it but I guess now. Huh. 

I wish Marston got a better chance in the category, but it seems like Red Dead is going to get hit hard in these awards since Jeff doesn't like it.

#24 Edited by Fjordson (2448 posts) -
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" @Pibo47 said:

"

Marston is boring as shit. He's just any john wayne character. *Puts up flame shield* Is it marsden or marston? Idk lol "
I assume you're just kidding around but the thing that makes MARSTON great is that he is far from a "john wayne" or typical western hero.  He has humor, he gets angry, he follows people he shouldn't, he's made mistakes in his past and he is trying to redeem himself.  He is trying to make his way through a crazy and violent world and the tragedy that befalls him makes you really feel a lot of him as a character.  He is just so well realized and represented in the game.  And they continued to do a great job with him in Undead Nightmare. "
Agreed. Really disappointed on that one, but I'm not really surprised. Jeff has never even tried to get into Red Dead so I don't see it winning anything on here because of that. Definitely my favourite character this year.

Though I totally loved Mordin and Bayonetta, so s'all good.
#25 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Both are great and worthy choices of the award, so who cares?

#26 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

What the hell, Giant Bomb! Something is WRONG! Grrr, make up your minds, yuck. Which should we believe, the podcast or the article?! What the fuck are we supposed to believe, when you can't even seem to agree? Ugh. That's all I have to say. Fooey.

#27 Posted by august (3846 posts) -

Marsten is great because he's so normal and middle aged and homely, but still a badass.  

Really if you put a gun to my head I would pick him. But Bayonetta is amazing though. It's a ridiculous comparison because the two characters are not in any way trying to do the same thing. It comes down to whatever mood one happens to be in at the time.

#28 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

Marston is just 'Heroic Guy Who Will Die For His Family' who gets pushed around by everybody he meets for 30 hours, then dies for his family.

With Mordin, Bioware managed to make a companion so enjoyable that everybody was prepared to look past the fact that he genocided most of Wrex's race.  These are the same people that loathed Ashley in ME1 because she said something a bit xenophobic one time.

#29 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

no, they forgot about the bombcast they did last week (too many drugs IMO) and just chose bayonetta, then told Drew what to do for the video. Shit happens.

#30 Edited by MiniPato (2741 posts) -
@Fjordson said:

" @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" @Pibo47 said:

"

I assume you're just kidding around but the thing that makes MARSTON great is that he is far from a "john wayne" or typical western hero.  He has humor, he gets angry, he follows people he shouldn't, he's made mistakes in his past and he is trying to redeem himself.  He is trying to make his way through a crazy and violent world and the tragedy that befalls him makes you really feel a lot of him as a character.  He is just so well realized and represented in the game.  And they continued to do a great job with him in Undead Nightmare. "
Agreed. Really disappointed on that one, but I'm not really surprised. Jeff has never even tried to get into Red Dead so I don't see it winning anything on here because of that. "
People give Brad shit for arguing Marston over York, but he at least played both games.

"John Martson is just Chuck Greene with a cowboy hat." Christ.
#31 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@Fjordson said:
" @Pibo47 said:

"

Agreed. Really disappointed on that one, but I'm not really surprised. Jeff has never even tried to get into Red Dead so I don't see it winning anything on here because of that. "
Seems like the usual Jeff. The guy knows what he likes and what he doesn't like but he does sometimes writes off games before trying it. Like Demon's Souls. Come to think of it , the only person who even tried giving that game a chance was Vinny. 
#32 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -
@MiniPato said:
" @Fjordson said:

" @Pibo47 said:

"

People give Brad shit for arguing Marston over York, but he at least played both games.   "John Martson is just Chuck Greene with a cowboy hat." Christ. "
I KNOW

Chuck Greene IS Canadian, after all.
#33 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Everything that was interesting about Marston kind of happened before the player gets hold of him, I wish we had got to play him while he was a bandit rather than just the whole wanting to save his wife story.

#34 Posted by Gabriel (4062 posts) -

Come-on....York should have won.

#35 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -
@MiniPato:  Yeah, exactly. "One step above a silent protagonist". Not sure what that was about. Marston has a line of dialogue after just about everything you do and is voiced in every cutscene. Pretty much the opposite of a silent protagonist. Oh well.

@Mordukai: I remember that. Demon's Souls is so underrated.
#36 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

Bayonetta sucks 

#37 Posted by supercubedude (456 posts) -

Jeff says they'll figure out the Mordin/Bayonetta situation. Not sure why it happened.

#38 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Marston is just 'Heroic Guy Who Will Die For His Family' who gets pushed around by everybody he meets for 30 hours, then dies for his family.  With Mordin, Bioware managed to make a companion so enjoyable that everybody was prepared to look past the fact that he genocided most of Wrex's race.  These are the same people that loathed Ashley in ME1 because she said something a bit xenophobic one time. "
Thanks for the spoiler. I want to call you an asshole but your Full Throttle avatar prevents me from doing that.
#39 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" Everything that was interesting about Marston kind of happened before the player gets hold of him, I wish we had got to play him while he was a bandit rather than just the whole wanting to save his wife story. "
I agree, on both counts.  Marston's battle to become a good man would have made for a more interesting theme.  That battle is already won by the time RDR starts - he already knows what he did was wrong and he has changed.  

Mordin has a broadly similar arc (so far) but he's still in the middle of struggling with his past, still desperately trying to convince himself that what he did was justified by the circumstances.  Ryan is right to call him a Nazi - the whole situation is allegorical of the Holocaust.  The language Mordin uses is extremely similar to the language the Nazis used to justify the Holocaust.  The Krogan were a weak race raised above their station by other people, and had become a 'plague' and a 'threat to the rest of society' - almost word for word the exact rhetoric the Nazis used to justify the 'Final Solution' to the 'Jewish Question'.  ME2 is shot through with WW2 references if you look for them - I think somebody over there has read a thing or two about a World War or two.
#40 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -
@Gargantuan: Sorry duder, but GOTY talk is gonna be full of spoilers - plus we're well past the '3 Month Limit' on both of those games.  Avoid GOTY talk it if there are still games you don't want spoiled.
#41 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
#42 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

To me it's York or Mordin. I'd have a rough time calling this one.

#43 Posted by DeeGee (2126 posts) -

Since there's so much confusion, how about we all admit that Francis York Morgan beats Marston, Bayonetta and Mordin? Don't deny it. Accept him into your hearts.

Isn't that right, Jeff? I mean, Zach.

#44 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5266 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
"
#45 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5266 posts) -

The way Brad wrote it made it sound like a tie between Mordin and Bayonetta.

#46 Edited by bhhawks78 (1206 posts) -

I'm super disappointed. 

Brad let his hate for the mechanics and the concept of the endurance run cock block york 

Jeff let his non interest in red dead boil marston down to "generic cowboy". 

So they ended up choosing literally one of the worst characters of this generation?  I usually NEVER care about awards beyond the fun of listening to the podcast. 

I'm not mad giant bomb.  I'm just disappointed....   

Great then Brad cockblocks the song as well because of the gameplay...makes sense.../facepalm

#47 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5266 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:
"So they ended up choosing literally one of the worst characters of this generation?  "
Apparently not.
#48 Posted by csl316 (8691 posts) -
#50 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5266 posts) -

Apparently if GB's game of the year character isn't this this or his you can go to Hell.